New to forum and Yoga

Hi, My name is Andrew. I just graduated from college and am currently searching for a job. While I had this free time, I decided to start yoga. I tried it for the first time today, and found it really enjoyable. I can’t do all the positions yet, dispite it being yoga for beginners.

I’m sure everyone remembers when they were beginners, any suggestions for me? Or will I become more limber as time goes on?

I also run everyday, and work out regularly.

Thanks! I am very excited about both joining the forum and the yoga community in general.

Hi Andrew,

Welocme to the forum and welcome to yoga. I always remind myself and my new yogis of the following:

“Practicing with total attention within the body is advanced yoga, no matter how easy the posture; practicing with your attention scattered is the practice of a beginner, no matter how difficult the posture. Hatha yoga trains the mind and the body, so focus your attention without lapse.” From Anatomy of Hatha Yoga by H. David Coulter.

Then another important ingredient is patience, people think that yoga is a quick fix for everything and they want to see results now. Yoga is process specifically concerned with your total evolution and purification and this takes time.

Good luck with your new found yoga and tread the Path cautiously. :wink:

though difficult, i was taught to always to approach every practice and every class with ‘beginners mind’, the openness to learning something new about yoga and about yourself. so as a beginner you have an advantage!

i’ve recently started advancing my own practice and so now i am in beginners again, learning new poses and sequences, trying, failing and picking myself off the floor to try again. i love laughing at myself, that helps. and also persistence and focus, and perhaps realizing that there are so many changes in the process, some very subtle, that only reveal themselves over time.

keep it up!
sarah

Although new to yoga myself (practicing just over a year) I found the more I became familiar with the postures, the less I actually had to think about them. This allowed me to become more present in my practice, focus more on the breath and then you’ll find one day you are able to do something you were unable to do yesterday.

I remember the first time I was able to jump through to my hands from downward dog, wow was I excited. Unfortunately a little too excited in that my ego got the better of me. I came home and started to “brag” about what I was able to do to my family. Before you know it I was thinking so much I kind of lost the ability to do it!

Now I keep my progresses to myself, and smile from inside. No need to “brag” to my family as it seems to be taken away the moment the ego kicks in!
Enjoy!

Luckily, I am a complete novice, and am totally concentrating on the postures and doing everything correctly. I just try to take deep, slow breaths and make sure i’m following the instructions.

Needless to say, I am enjoying my new experiences, and I look forward to growing both mentally and spiritually. Plus being lean, and in good shape never hurt anyone.

I enjoy browsing the forum, and seeing how others percieve things. Thank you for your words of wisdom and your well wishes!

Cheers!

Hello schwinnja

Yoga is such a vast subject where there is no end of knowledge you may acquire. I am trying to share whatever knowledge i have with beginners to yoga. Yoga is a way of life to live a healthy and happy life.

Daljit

[quote=schwinnja;10199]Hi, My name is Andrew. I just graduated from college and am currently searching for a job. While I had this free time, I decided to start yoga. I tried it for the first time today, and found it really enjoyable. I can’t do all the positions yet, dispite it being yoga for beginners.

I’m sure everyone remembers when they were beginners, any suggestions for me? Or will I become more limber as time goes on?

I also run everyday, and work out regularly.

Thanks! I am very excited about both joining the forum and the yoga community in general.[/quote]

[I][B]Yoga has been proven to relieve stress by using exercises that unify the mind, body, and spirit. If you are new to yoga, these seven tips will start you on the road to a more centered life.[/B][/I]

1. Talk to your doctor and explain what type of yoga poses you intend to practice. Show your doctor pictures of the poses for illustration. Your doctor may rule out specific poses if you have high blood pressure, glaucoma, a history of retinal detachment, or heart disease. Make sure you follow your doctor’s recommendations.

2. Find a yoga class that best fits your abilities. Talk to prospective teachers, and decide whether of not you can handle a program before you sign up. It’s very important to take it one step at a time. Try a few beginner classes before you attempt more vigerous classes. Don’t move ahead too quickly. Allow your body to adjust to your exercises.

3. Listen to your body and be aware of your physical abilities. You don’t want to hurt yourself. Make sure the instructor understands your level of experience and any limitations you may have. Don’t allow anyone to push you ahead too quickly. Remember, this is supposed to be fun and relaxing.

4. If you can’t find a class that meets your needs, you can always practice yoga at home. There are many books, programs, and tapes available to help you get started. Search for the best products on the Internet and read reviews. Talk to others for recommenations.

5. Why not try private lessons? You can book some one-on-one sessions with a teacher in your area. Most yoga instructors offer private classes or can help you design your own program. This is a good way to get started. You can always take group lessons or practice at home after you’ve had private lessons and learned the basics.

6. Find a yoga buddy. It’s nice to practice with someone and it will help reduce injuries. It’s also a great way to keep up your enthusiasm and interest.

7. Eat lightly before practice. Wait at least two hours after meals before yoga class or practice. An empty stomach is best, but don’t let yourself get too hungry to think. You won’t be able to focus on the poses or enjoy yourself during the relaxation or meditation exercises.

Article Author: Joan Yankowitz
Article Source: Deposit Articles

Welcome Andrew!

I hope you may find what you are looking for. The positions will of course become more easy as you get used to them and practise.

I am sure these qualified sirs here can help you with a lot of things and guide you through the questions you might have about yoga or yoga philosophy.

Love,
Bentinho

Hi Schwinnja!

I am also an avid runner and incorporate yoga into my lifestyle. It was very tough at first and I couldn’t seem to get the flow and poses right. The different terms also confused me, but after consistent practice it does get easier. The names of the yoga poses get more familiar and you’ll start feeling more comfortable with yoga if you don’t give up.

Yoga has many wonderful amazing benefits… I hope you enjoy it. It’s also made me a better runner because running made my muscles tight and yoga really helped loosen them up and brought on a level of flexibility that I haven’t felt in a long time.

Good luck and welcome!

Hi Andrew – I too am a yoga amateur but I have tried it several times and absolutely love it! I wish i had more free time to enjoy it though…argh work!

Good-luck and I’m sure you’ll enjoy all the benefits yoga has to offer.

Welcome to the forum. I have found tons of great information here.

Yoga, originating from ancient India, has evolved into a global phenomenon celebrated for its multifaceted benefits. While commonly associated with physical postures, the essence of yoga extends far beyond the mat. At its core, yoga is a spiritual practice that harmonizes the physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of an individual.

Understanding Yoga Spirituality

In the pursuit of understanding spirituality through yoga, it's crucial to recognize the interconnectedness of the mind, body, and spirit. Yoga provides a framework for individuals to explore their inner selves, fostering a sense of unity and purpose.

The Essence of Yogic Practices

The practice of traditional yoga postures, known as asanas, serves as a foundation for spiritual growth. These postures, when combined with breath control techniques...

The Power of Meditation

Meditation stands as a cornerstone of spiritual growth within the practice of yoga. Beyond the physical postures, meditation allows individuals to delve into the depths of their consciousness, promoting inner peace and spiritual clarity. Techniques such as guided meditation, transcendental meditation, and mindfulness meditation are powerful tools in unlocking the spiritual potential within.

This Is A Little Explanation I Hope This Was Helpful. If You Are Interested In More
You Can Visit : https://yogaopedia.com/

Hi
Welcome guys to this forum