New to yoga, joint/weight issues

Hello all. I have a few questions about my yoga practices, but I feel like some back story on me might be necessary. I’m very overweight and I have a lot of joint problems from an autoimmune disease. I have tried doing cardio workouts in the past to lose weight, but they’ve always caused relapses with my auto immune disease. My doctor has said its overuse of the joints. A lot of people have suggested yoga and I’ve recently started (and enjoying it too!). I am doing all my practices via youtube videos. I know some on here say this is a bad thing, but the nearest yoga class to me is an hour away and I just don’t have that kind of time.

So onto my questions. Is it normal for my hands to hurt while holding poses like a table top pose and a downward dog? Is it also normal that I cannot do a “proper” downward dog? Right now I do a sort of touching the floor thing, but my knees are bent and I’m definitely not extended as far as I should be. I have watched a few videos and they have all said that downward dog is a beginner pose, which makes me feel awful because I cant do it haha. What would you consider a beginners pose?

Also, I have not done much research into the yoga world, and judging by the little bit I’ve read on the forum there’s a lot, but what type of yoga would you suggest for me? I’d like to do something that will be easy on my joints but will also help me lose weight.

Thank you all!

It is unfortunate but common myth in the society that weight loss is possible only through cardio and not with yoga

I have my students lost 20 KG in just 4 months with enough toning as well. Weight gain in most of the case is metabolic disorder and pushing body too hard on workout wont help. More than 50% energy consumption is consumed by resting metabolic rate only if systems are working properly.

Is it normal for my hands to hurt while holding poses like a table top pose and a downward dog? Is it also normal that I cannot do a “proper” downward dog?
yes it is initially normal but you should not end up overusing that joint that leads to inflammation.
It is also natural that everyone because of limitation can not do complete posture initially. With practice it comes.

I am doing all my practices via youtube videos. I know some on here say this is a bad thing, but the nearest yoga class to me is an hour away and I just don’t have that kind of time.

It is not about good or bad but doing under guidance especially when you have contraindications (weight and autoimmune issue) , it is worth learning under expert for following reasons:

1. To avoid any injury
  2. To get fastest results
  3. You get instant clarification of any doubt specific to your issues

We provide skyoe sessions to people around the world who can not come to group classes or live far. In case if you are interest then you can reach us at www.SohamYogaStudio.org

what type of yoga would you suggest for me?
Focusing on individual postures first will help and develop flexibility and stamina. Once you becomes better you can think of yoga types.

Welcome to yoga! I’m happy you’ve found such an amazing tool to reclaim your health and happiness. Just for the record, downward facing dog is sooo overhyped. Most people think “Oh my heals aren’t on the ground. I must be doing it wrong”. For most people, getting your heals on the ground is anatomically impossible, no matter how flexible you are. That doesn’t mean you should quit at it. Bending each knee and sending the opposite heal towards the earth opens up the back leg and increases flexibility. In terms of the hand issue, that’s normal as well. Take it slow, and if you ever want to come onto forearms instead to aleviate wrist pain, that’s a great tool to have. Lastly, here’s an article about yoga for bigger bodies. Let me know if you find it interesting. https://yogainternational.com/article/view/when-life-gives-you-curves