New to yoga/questions

I have been attending yoga classes twice weekly for about 3 months. I am about 75 pounds overwieght (but am also doing cardio and free weights to try to lose weight). I cannot do many of the postures, particularly inversions. Realistically, how long should I expect it to take to be able to move to some of the more advanced postures? I have noticed a remarkable improvement in my flexibility and balance. Is there anything specific I can do to improve even more?
If age matters, I am in my 40’s.
Thank you.

Lois -

Being overweight is best not to attempt any “advanced” level of flexibility poses. especially as you are so new to yoga. Wait about a year or better yet build yourself up by tackeling those poses which are difficult to hold due to challenge to your strength. In this categroy i would recommend you doing standing poses especially warrior I & II, Trianlge, and Side Angle (Parsvottanasana) and holding them with good form for gradually increasingly longer periods.

Best recommendation for losing weight is to do the Sun Salute series increasing the length of time you spend doing it until you can do 20 minutes continuous flow. After doing consistenly this for one week then you can increase the challenge to your cardiovascular system by doing the sequence faster. The key is consistency once you have established that your body will begin to burn off the excess weight and then when that is maintained you can look forward to poses that promote more flexibility. but i would not recommend you do them until you are about 20-25 pounds above your ideal weight. This would keep you safe from potential injury that is easily experienced by those who try the advanced flexibility poses.