New to Yoga

Hello all :slight_smile: I’m fairly new to Yoga and I am hoping to learn more and more each day on a fitness level. My first goals are:

-to increase my flexibility
-to increase my stamina
-to decrease my stress levels
-to pair with appropriate nutrition to battle the current illnesses I have - epilepsy, chronic fatigue, chronic anaemia and insulin resistance.

My BMI is perfectly healthy for my age, height and weight, but I have a family history of Type 2 Diabetes, and although I am slim, I have just been diagnosed with the first step of getting the disease - insulin resistance. So I’m taking my health into my hands and transforming my lifestyle so that I can hopefully avoid it.

At the moment I am self-teaching myself Yoga (I have 4 kids so getting to the gym for a Yoga class is kinda tricky). I’m using the FitStar Yoga app that is paired to my FitBit. So far, I’m finding it a good tool for learning about poses, but maybe sometime in the future I will likely find a Yoga teacher to help on poses that I am getting wrong. For now, it will have to do.

I also walk every day and dance in the living room with my kids :stuck_out_tongue:

Any advice is greatly welcome.

1 Like

Everyone has their own unique story of their start on the path of yoga. Fostering a deeper interest using online classes, an app or Youtube is fine and dandy. Just know that you are getting mere drops of water in what is otherwise a vast ocean.

Just as planets have their place (alignment) and your home stands up due to the solidity of its foundation, so too does your body have a place (spatially speaking) and your practice is built upon the foundation of feet and hands.

I hope Yoga supports you in all that you pursue.

Namaste (bow me you).

1 Like

Try this Yoga exercise for beginners, it will surely be fun! Yoga for beginners Easy and simple! - Pastelink.net

Try Best Guided Meditation Online | Benefits of Meditation - Sahaja Online

best yoga video for brginners

Some benefits of yoga-

Yoga is not just an exercise. It includes different forms of exercises and also meditation. Yoga is a system to control the mind, and it helps you to reduce your stress. It enables you to relax and let go of your tensions, so you can be more flexible in your life.

Even if you are not flexible physically, you will feel more flexible mentally. While doing yoga, you will forget all your daily problems, worries, etc., and this way you can have a great time while exercising.

It is fun to try new things in life and yoga is one of those things that are worth trying at least once in a lifetime. You will see that it improves your health as well as makes you feel great. Once you get used to it, it will become a part of your life, like brushing your teeth or taking a shower every morning.

If you want to learn yoga I would suggest you visit Arhanta yoga official website they offer yoga teacher training online.

Our 200-hour Hatha Yoga teacher training in India is a certified professional course that deals with an in-depth knowledge of Hatha Yoga. This comprehensive course is ideal for people who wish to pursue teaching yoga or advance further in their yoga journey. The course is led by knowledgeable and experienced teachers from our yoga ashram in India. Since 2009, more than 6000 yoga teachers have been certified at our ashrams in India and in the Netherlands.

I agree with Yoga being more than exercise and stretching, but what worries me is your insulin resistance, even though you have a healthy BMI.

If I were you, I would really consider going low-carb for a while, until your pancreas, and your insulin-levels are back to normal, where I would shift to a carb-cycling schedule, with one “cheat day” per week.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.