NON-violence on the yoga mat

Ahimsa is one of the principles of yoga. It means non-violence, non-harming. Yogi practice non-violence to all beings. Yogi is trying to be vegetarian to reduce harm to animals. I’ve seen people wearing masks so they would not inhale in insect…

Most of the times, thought, non-violence to yogi own body is left out of the ahimsa concept.

I would like to point out non-violence to your own body when you practicing yoga. I heard stories how people pull their backs, muscles, pop out joints, my uncle even had mastered to torn the ligament.

Good news is that more easier version of the pose does not reduce benefits!
So, non-violence to your own body during the practice assumes that we are listening to our muscles, joints, ligaments, and of course the BREATH. Never push yourself to where the body does not want to go. Sometimes we are not ready for some pose, maybe never we can master it, because we all different. Some of us have strong arms and some have stretchy legs. You will master the pose just as you go. Remember for example the mid school. They would not teach you about human reproductive system, for example, in the fifth grade. Later when you ready to know, they would tell you.

Same with each pose ? you will do it whenever you body is ready.

Good points. When I first began practicing I felt the need to push myself hard. I also heard stories of students returning from India where their teachers pushed them to the extreme. This may work for the young and spry, but for old ones like me not so. I am Learning to feel my body and work my practice accordingly. No longer need to ‘win’ during class.

They would not teach you about human reproductive system, for example, in the fifth grade. Later when you ready to know, they would tell you.

I was taught about the human reproductive system in 5th grade. Just sayin. :smiley:

No longer need to ‘win’ during class.

I struggle often with feelings of jealousy sneaking up on me in the middle of class when I see someone do something I can’t do quite yet. Logically I know that those feelings are fruitless and do not serve me well, yet they are still there. Usually I just try to concentrate on my breathe and making every move with intent and deliberation and this helps to clear my mind.

[QUOTE=AbdhijaKimberly;31659]I was taught about the human reproductive system in 5th grade. Just sayin. :smiley:

I struggle often with feelings of jealousy sneaking up on me in the middle of class when I see someone do something I can’t do quite yet. Logically I know that those feelings are fruitless and do not serve me well, yet they are still there. Usually I just try to concentrate on my breathe and making every move with intent and deliberation and this helps to clear my mind.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you were just developing faster:) in school and in yoga!