One leg shorter than the other

Hello

10 years ago I had car accident, in which I fractured my femur and lost 3 cm of it. This is why I have a physical imbalance, in my daily life I use special insole so I dont damage my back in future days... But for yoga I dont use any so I try to stretch the most and create a corporal balance for the asana practice, I do Ashtanga and Anusara, It doesnt really hurt, but I would like to know if this is OK in long term for my back.

Thanks

Just a quick thought: I think it wouldn’t be a big problem if one leg is shorter since we not walk around and I cant think of some asanas where this would be an issue. I think it might be some other related parts that could be more of an issue. If any. I don’t know. Just try listening to your body and if it feels ok. Then it’s ok.

I’ve had surgery on my left shoulder cause of dislocation and sometimes it hurts in some asanas. But I just try to adapt a little. If the body is damaged and uneven. It’s not so big problem in yoga I think because it use to threat one side at a time.

Hello Leda,

So it is your contention, or the contention of your healthcare provider, that the actual measurement of one thigh bone is not similar to the measure of the other? And that is a current situation (measurement) despite the fact that the accident was a decade ago? Is this correct?

Obviously in symmetrical poses there might be some difference to account for. I personally would not pursue anything other than an alignment-based practice is such a state but that is not to state that one would definitely, without a doubt, develop issues in the future. Such things could affect the orientation of the pelvis and foster imbalances that a sound alignment-based teacher might want to guide you in countering.

Hello again. I was tired when I wrote that :slight_smile: came to think of a few poses that are symmetrical, like:
surya namaskar
padangusthasana
prasarita padottanasana

maybe you can ask your doctor what he thinks. Or maybe go easy on just those poses and see by time how it feels.

Long term you might experience some back pain with certain poses due to muscular imbalance. When you use symmetrical poses or any pose when you’re standing with your straight back, the pelvis compensates for the asymmetry by rotating, and translates the pressure to the other side of the hip. You might need some physiotherapy to counteract the effect of such issue.

Thanks a lot for the answers, and yes I have noticed the pelvic rotation to compensate, maybe the best solution is to practice with yoga shoes and insole.

thanks again for the answers

[QUOTE=ledasanchez@gmail.com;31376]Thanks a lot for the answers, and yes I have noticed the pelvic rotation to compensate, maybe the best solution is to practice with yoga shoes and insole.

thanks again for the answers[/QUOTE]

Vibram makes some Fivefinger shoes for Yoga which are fantastic, as well, they can be used with an orthopaedic insole (I don’t know if you can use the height you need for 3cm but you can surely find a 0.5cm one)

…yesterday I couldn’t fall asleep cause the heat and got one idea. Maybe it’s no good idea. But I was thinking that you maybe could use something like this: http://www.shoesoftheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/blue_crocs.jpg
on the shorter leg. Just pull it on on those standing symmetrical poses and don’t wear it otherwise. Don’t know about the sitting ones like paschimottanasana.

hum I realize I am posting a reply almost a year after the thread opened but…

I suffer from the same type of problem. My right leg is 15 mm or about a half inch shorter than my right leg and have recently started using an insole to help correct this. It leaves me feeling sore and unbalanced.

To get a barefoot feel or to have better contact with the ground I use athletic wrap to secure the insole to the bottom of my foot and this really helps me out.

@Juhles-How has the insole with athletic taoe worked out? It’s a year after the last post but this information is very interesting to me. My left leg is a half inch shorter since a car accident as well and I’m completing a 500 hr YTT. I have an elevated insole for my shoes but after a lot of yoga I am sore despite adjusting for the misalignment. My chiropractor and I have been considering alternatives such as this. I will try but still wondered how it has worked for you over the last year. Namaste

your chiropractor gave the inserts for your shoes then - that is where I got mine from, also. I later went to a real medical doctor for a second opinion and he recommended physically therapy to help strengthen my hips. Basically, your body starts to rely too much on the insole, when you take it out of your shoe you can’t compensate for it. A physical therapist will help to strengthen your muscles so the body can deal with the problem better on its own - not that my doctor was completely against wearing an insole, he just didn’t like the chiropractic approach of popping your back and having fall out of alignment, repeat. That is why he recommended a physical therapist. I can’t say I agree with chiropractics either. If you decide to discontinue the use of the orthotic, I felt it was very hard to get back to feeling normal again. Before the orthotic I was running triathlons - after the orthotic I feel like a 40 year old man. I think the ortotics mess with your bodies balance and alignment too much. Which from a yogic perspective can have a lot of effects to your overall well being. I’m sure you could use yoga as a method of correction and strengthening to your hips and core which I should have done more; I know when I practice it helps my body feel more centered.

It's great that you're practicing yoga despite the imbalance from your accident. It’s important to listen to your body and make sure that you're not straining yourself too much. Maybe consulting with a yoga therapist could provide some tailored advice for your situation. Finding the right balance is key, and using special insoles during yoga could help. You can also check out shoemall for different insole options that could work for both daily life and yoga. Keep up the good work and stay safe in your practice!

It's commendable that you're using yoga to address your physical imbalance. However, because of the uneven leg length, not wearing the insole during yoga may cause long-term back problems. Over time, this imbalance may put stress on your spine and other joints. Seeking advice from a physician or physical therapist with expertise in sports medicine is essential. For your long-term health, they can offer tailored guidance and even suggest adjustments or new workouts to keep your practice safe and beneficial.