Organic Versus Conventional

Do you only purchase organic fruits and vegetables or do you purchase a mixture of organic and conventionally grown? Are there specific fruits and veggies you will ONLY purchase organic? If you don’t purchase something organic, what stops you? Price? Availability? Love that tangy flavor of petroleum based pesticide?

My wife tells me that it’s important to drink organic milk, so I pay double the price and buy organic milk. We’ve been buying organic eggs lately, as well.

I would like to buy organic meat too, but I would really rather go vegeterian, if it weren’t such a bother.

So right now, it’s just milk and eggs. Price is probably a big part of why we don’t buy the rest that way, as well as not being fully convinced that organic is necessary for all foods.

[QUOTE=David;44137]Do you only purchase organic fruits and vegetables or do you purchase a mixture of organic and conventionally grown? Are there specific fruits and veggies you will ONLY purchase organic? If you don’t purchase something organic, what stops you? Price? Availability? Love that tangy flavor of petroleum based pesticide?[/QUOTE]

A mix of both. We are lucky since we are located in Western PA and many of our grocers carry locally grown produce (more so in the late spring, summer abd early fall months) We do buy organic bananas (that come from Florida). But sometimes (like this tme of year) it harder to find affordable organic produce so both the price (we have Trader Joes) and availablity prevent us from eatting organic. So we compromise and eat more potatoes ,rice and squash in the winter months and also cut out more of our meat intake. We do supplement with frozen and can foods that are organic. Our main grocery store in Pittsburgh acutally carries a generic line of organic foods accross the board.

Organic isn’t available nearby but if I’m near a organic co-op etc (once or twice a month) I will buy a large bag of apples. I’m vegan and also like to have 30 percent or more of my diet ‘raw or in a raw recipe’, so I seem to use a dozen [B]apples[/B] a week and the thought of non organic apples creeps me out a bit.
Also, if I make a raw collard green wrap its nice to think it’s organic.
Food is such a treat, Gil.

[QUOTE=David;44137]Do you only purchase organic fruits and vegetables or do you purchase a mixture of organic and conventionally grown? Are there specific fruits and veggies you will ONLY purchase organic? If you don’t purchase something organic, what stops you? Price? Availability? Love that tangy flavor of petroleum based pesticide?[/QUOTE]

I do not buy organic if it is not ripen, do not smell good or just because i do not trust the label.

There are not all the item available in “organic” .

Some organic grovers located to close to non organic fields, it is hard to keep away their crop 100% pesticide free…

I trust only USDA certification, but sometimes even this one fail to meet my requirements for organic label.:slight_smile: U can go to their website and read what they mean by organic for each item.

[QUOTE=thomas;44139]My wife tells me that it’s important to drink organic milk, so I pay double the price and buy organic milk. We’ve been buying organic eggs lately, as well.

I would like to buy organic meat too, but I would really rather go vegeterian, if it weren’t such a bother.

So right now, it’s just milk and eggs. Price is probably a big part of why we don’t buy the rest that way, as well as not being fully convinced that organic is necessary for all foods.[/QUOTE]

From as far as I can tell the foods that make up the dirty dozen . . . you should buy them organic pretty much only.

YOU CAN FORCE CHANGE. I’ve heard in europe Consumers will not put up with GMO, Hormones, and pesticides in their food. they won’t buy it.

So manufactures, growers, etc . . . wont’ bother with that crap.

Same would happen here in America in SHORT ORDER if everyone, as much as possible, boycotted the Garbage they try to sell you in the Grocery.

Whos with me? I’m serious about this. This stuff is ruining lives and will continue to do so until it’s gone.

Whos with me? Whos passionate about their health, their familes, friends, pets and relatives health?

This health care system is the disease care system here in good ol USA.

How do you change a capitalist system? You don’t buy.

Inform yourself. Unite. Spread awareness through your networks.
Stay up to date with watchdog groups.

Be Active.

They count on apathy, lack of information, and inaction.

Government has proven time and time again that they will side with industry . . . that or they just don’t know any better. You can not rely on Government to watch out for you. They aren’t.

LETS GO!

We need to unite together. Create some movement. Get publicity. Then create action.

Like a week long nationwide boycott. That would be fantastic.

United we could stamp out this garbage in short order.

Contact your senators.

Tommorow I’m writing Miss Obama to ask her why these substances are still an issue for americans and american children?

Europe knocked out GMO’s in 1996. 1996!!! Three years after introduction.

Why are they still in America?

Yes this is a little tounge i cheek but - still - its a very important issue that has and will have a direct impact on the well being of everyone here now and all those yet to come . . . or come back . . .

So right now, it’s just milk and eggs. Price is probably a big part of why we don’t buy the rest that way, as well as not being fully convinced that organic is necessary for all foods.

I don’t buy organic unless I can be SURE its organic. I happen to know that when the grocery stores run out of “organic” produce they sub in regular stuff.

Perhaps you can look into a co op.

My family told me they got with an organic farmer. She raised the beef (ethically). Took it to the Gun (ethics debatable) The butcher got it and processed it up.

Much cheaper. “Locally Grown.” You “know” the person.

Meat is on the dirty dozen for a reason. Usda is decent i guess. but you never know what kind of new fangled feed or hormones they pump into the poor creature to increase yield.

These hormones are unnatural and unsound for humans to consume. This is not fantasy or conjecture. Or a perhaps . . it is fact.

They (the producers, growers) count on your apathy. They count on your lack of information. They count on your inaction. If they are not ignorant of the facts themselves. Which is often the case.

non of it is good.

Think of the farmers growing the GMO crops, spraying thier fields with DNA shredding chemicals, those chemical getting airborne, carried by the winds to water supplies, or waffting over a neighborhood of families.

none of it is good.

These chemicals can cause unnatural DNA mutations. They are easily absorbed through the mucus membranes of the eyes and lungs and nose and mouth and GI tract.

They disrupt hormone activity. This is a fact. The hormonal system operates on such a microscopic scale in minute amounts that any disruption to those signals can and does wreak havoc with your health processes.

The Hormonal system is the Master Control system for enzymatic processes - among other things. The endocrine system regulates much of what is going on in the body. Digestion. Enzyme Production, the secretions by the organs is all regulated by - hormones.
Thats just the surface of what these hormones control.

Sexual development.

Fertility.

and on and on . . .

The rub here is this . . . It only takes minute quantities of these chems to disrupt the endocrine system.

This is why, until these unnatural practices are eliminated, you will see:

Boys and girls hitting puberty much earlier. (Puberty is controlled by hormones.)

Steady increases in Birth Defects. Rare and unusual cancers.
Increase in the Big Ones: Diabetes, Heart Disease, Cancer.

Autism spectrum disorders. Learning difficulties. Gut problems.

These are wholly unnatural and modern diseases (for the most part)

They shred and mutate dna and disrupt the workings of the endocrine system. They infiltrate tissue when the body can’t or doesn’t have time to neturalize them.

The effects of modern agricultural practices are varied and pernicious.
Combine all this with pollution in the air and water from industry, automobiles, unnatural chemicals in our foods and produce, unnatural chemicals in the prodcuts we buy, and so on and on . . . combine all this with the modern american diet which is dead, unnatural, and unwholesome and you have a poisoin magic eight ball. You never know just what youll get or when.

But you control all this - by what you spend your money on.

Just when I thought this Scales guy cannot be any more stupid…he shows some sparks of brilliance…

Agree on this one.

farmers markets are the best thing to look for in my opinion

To Buy or Not to Buy Organic.

I grow all of my own herbs and some of my own vegetables and the rest I buy from the local farmer’s market where I know the farmers use organic methods to cultivate their crops. Don’t have much success with fruit as the birds have more of a feast before me, so I gave up on the fruit side and leave the trees as food for them. I buy my fruit from a local farmer’s market. Price at the famer’s market is not really an issue, they are very affordable.

I will buy certain things from supermarkets if I can’t find it on the farmers market such as certain berries, shallots and mushrooms. But it is limited.

[QUOTE=Alix;45770]I don’t buy organic unless I can be SURE its organic. I happen to know that when the grocery stores run out of “organic” produce they sub in regular stuff. [/QUOTE]

thats the thing… most of labels designed the way that you will never figure out what is organic or not. :frowning: moreover there are so many certifications…USDA is the most strict one…

There are also a believe that all grains in the world are GMO already… some GMO animals (like fish) are escaping farms and breed with 'organic" animals… GMO seeds spread to the wild and cross-pollinating with normal seeds…

THE PROCESS CAN NOT BE REVERSED!!! :(:(:frowning:

I bought all kinds of fruits and veggies, unless those I don’t like to eat. :stuck_out_tongue:

In this day and age one needs to be an avid label reader. It’s amazing what you find is in your food when you read the ingredients!

An example for vegetarians…for cheeses you will see “Enzymes” listed. Well, you think Ok, no problem. Well, if it doesn’t say microbial enzymes, a vegetarian should not eat it. If it lists enzymes or rennet chances are it was made from the stomach lining of a newly slaughter calf. Parmesan cheese can only be called parmesan if it uses rennet. It is a recipe that needs to be followed to be called Parmesan. So vegetarians/vegans this nix’s most pizza’s and some pasta sauces. In most health food stores you can find a vegetarian alternative. Ask.

I only buy organic and try to buy local when I can. Is it pricier? Yes, initially. You tend to buy less junk because of what’s in it, so it ends up even in the long run. Usually best to find fruit and vegetables that are in season. Just follow the seasons and you’ll get a wonderful variety.

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;47180]In this day and age one needs to be an avid label reader. It’s amazing what you find is in your food when you read the ingredients!

An example for vegetarians…for cheeses you will see “Enzymes” listed. Well, you think Ok, no problem. Well, if it doesn’t say microbial enzymes, a vegetarian should not eat it. If it lists enzymes or rennet chances are it was made from the stomach lining of a newly slaughter calf. Parmesan cheese can only be called parmesan if it uses rennet. It is a recipe that needs to be followed to be called Parmesan. So vegetarians/vegans this nix’s most pizza’s and some pasta sauces. In most health food stores you can find a vegetarian alternative. Ask.

I only buy organic and try to buy local when I can. Is it pricier? Yes, initially. You tend to buy less junk because of what’s in it, so it ends up even in the long run. Usually best to find fruit and vegetables that are in season. Just follow the seasons and you’ll get a wonderful variety.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It’s mind boggling how perfectly healthy, basic foods can be perverted by the food industry. You look at a package of tortillas, for example. It says “made with organic whole wheat”. Great, right?
Now look at the actual list of ingredients and you find out the % of organic wholewheat is minuscule, but each tortilla is loaded with hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils.
And that’s just an example.

I buy organic whenever I can, I love farmers markets and I cook everything from scratch. But it’s sad and disconcerting to see that healthy foods often cost more than junk that has been processed and rendered toxic before showing up in stores.

In December 2005, the 2006 agricultural appropriations bill was passed with a rider allowing 38 synthetic ingredients to be used in organic foods. Among the ingredients are food colorings, starches, sausage and hot-dog casings, hops, fish oil, chipotle chili pepper, and gelatin. This allowed Anheuser-Busch in 2007 to have its Wild Hop Lager certified organic “even though [it] uses hops grown with chemical fertilizers and sprayed with pesticides.”[18][19]

Just wanted to add…yesterday saw friend of mine stored canned organic food in the kitchen. what is the point to buy organic if it is in the can? better to get conventional not in the can…

I buy organic meat and vegetables and I get it from a Graig Farm in Wales UK so I know it is definitely organic.
It is more expensive than the super markets but I don’t mind spending that little extra for the reassurance.

Perhaps, if people have the budget, looking into using farms is a more reassuring route to take.

The people there are so lovely too :slight_smile:

1 Like