Osgood Schlatter disease

I have a student who is a vibrant brilliant athletic 11-year-old girl. She has just been diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter disease. In my research it appears that this is described as an overuse disease, affecting the tibial growth plate and connective tissue. Easing on activity is recommended. I notice she has flat feet, and locked knees as well as dry skin and some eczema. What postures would you encourage, and what would you avoid. As for Ayurvedic thoughts, would you have any specific recommendations? I am thinking some flax or fish oil would be of benefit. Thanks you for your special gifts and generosity of spirit and caring! M

Ayurvedic herbal or dietary recommendations are not my specialty you can consult either of my local friends on staff of Rocky Mountain Institute of Yoga and Ayurveda - Pat Hansen – padmashakt@aol.com or Saraswati Buhrman – rmiya@earthnet.net – and their advice is always sound. In general this is a condition due to increased vata – so learning to relax, maintain a rhythmic disciplined lifestyle of eating, sleeping, exercise in coordination with breathing (gentle vinyasa style), yoga nidra for more profound depth of relaxation and sleep (tapes available from Richard Miller at www.nondual.com). Oil is a good idea as this calms vata. I would not recommend any specific asanas but rather types of poses done with full breathing – forward bends followed by twists and relaxation or restorative poses.