Osteoporosis

I am looking for asanas that are beneficial for osteoporosis. My mum has this, and has been practicing yoga since the early '60s. The teacher training that I am following is not too keen on yoga therapy, arguing that you do yoga for you whole being, and not for therapeutic purposes – well, I’m sure you know that sort of comments. Could you perhaps recommend a few asanas? I could imagine that backbends are good, but perhaps not so much for a 74-year old spine. If it doesn’t bother you too much, I’d be very happy to hear from you. Thanks. Best wishes, L

Yes doing a committed yoga practice is good for whole person. But each whole person has unique challenges and so it is best to listen to the motto “Modify the practice to the individual needs.” In general to work with this situation you want to hold the poses longer while doing full breathing, a kapha approach to strengthening not only bones but also immune system. So the ideal is fewer poses but held longer. Standing poses (but not balancing poses) are best as they strengthen the hips and lower body. Also poses that emphasize strength of spinal column – locust and cobra – are good second choices.

Comment ON OSTEOPOROSIS - In response to your student H re. Osteoporosis … I took a training in Yoga for Osteoporosis with Sara Meeks, who is a yoga teacher and physical therapist who has dedicated her life’s work to empowering people with osteoporosis to move and build bone in safe ways. Her booklet, WALK TALL! AN EXERCISE PROGRAM FOR THE PREVENTION AND TREATMENT OF OSTEOPOROSIS 96 pages is excellent, as is a larger work, STAND TALL! EVERY WOMAN’S GUIDE TO PREVENTING AND TREATING OSTEOPOROSIS by Morris Notelovitz, MD, Ph.D. 240 pages, illustrated hardcover.

As yoga teachers, we need to understand that all exercise is NOT safe for someone with osteopenia or osteoporosis. Flexion can cause compression fractures in the thoracic spine, where they are virtually undetectable, but, over the long term, can cause pneumothoraxes and protruding abdominal organs. Pigeon Pose can cause a hip fracture in the neck of the femur, in someone who has osteoporosis of the hip. In some cases, improved bone scans may actually give a false reading, as bone growth may be a result of bone spurs developing post-fracture.

It is our responsibility to educate ourselves about this condition in order to prevent fractures and further deterioration in our students. They CAN move … but it is important that we become knowledgeable so that we can teach them how to move safely, in a way that builds bone mass safely. Sara’s website provides a wealth of information: http://www.sarameekspt.com
Blessings, Hamsa stoneyoga@aol.com