Overweight and yoga classes

I’m very overweight (about 7 stone over to be brutally honest) and am trying to pluck up the courage to go to a local astanga class. I used to do astanga before when I was a lot lighter and found it amazing.

I’m just feeling self conscious about being so unfit and unhealthy and have a fear of being laughed at when I get puffed out.

Just wanted to share and get some thoughts.

What do you mean by “7 stones over”? 7 kg? 7 lb?

It equates to about 80 lb.

you should learn how to laugh at your self, thats enlightenment…fear of it is the polar opposite…especially if it prevents you from getting healthy.

Thanks, your post made me laugh :lol:

I know what you mean… my boobs half strangle me during shoulder stands which has me chuckling.

I’m striving to make weight/ food a non-issue and focus on my practice, my children and being happy. I’m lightening up emotionally!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I don’t know, if you can’t find acceptance in a yoga class perhaps it’s the wrong one.

I have chaturanga concerns for older, heavier Ashtanga students. The muscles in the front deltoid are not meant to bear added weight in adulthood (keeping in mind Ashtanga practice was created for adolescents who are typiically lighter and still developing physiologically).

Perhaps you could modify that pose in your practice so as not to risk injury.

I was in your position about 11 months ago - 85 pounds overweight and wanting to join a yoga class, but terrified because I was ashamed about how I’d look to others. I finally got sick of obsessing about it and just went and it was a great decision. I never felt on display at all - it didn’t seem like anyone was ever mocking me - and, as I learned that my body could do much more than I’d originally thought, I started to feel better about myself. With yoga came less stress and a healthier lifestyle and I am now 53 pounds lighter and confident I can lose the rest of the baggage. Don’t let fear get in the way of something that could be potentially very good for you!

Yoga can help you to reduce weight. Join yoga classes and start learning from experts. We are at Arhanta yoga provides yoga classes online at an affordable price. Do Check out our website and know more details.