Pain in feet

Namaste

I’ve been practicing yoga for a year now, kundalini and hatha. I practice at least 5 times a week.
Although kundalini is my heart, I like to practice hatha for the flexibility and strength.
I find myself shying away from hatha classes, due to pain in the soles of my feet during such asanas as warrior, triangle pose, etc.

The pain is in the balls, heels, toes, bottom of the arches, basically the entire foot.
At time I need to stop practice, and take all weight off my feet for a minute or two, massaging them.
The teacher may ask me if I had a cramp, and I tell him/her, no, it’s just the entire foot, as I described above.

I am overweight, but not to the point where I would have problems bearing my weight.

I suppose I would say it feels like enormous pressure. Like my feet a not strong enough to maintain a position.

Any suggestions/exercises would be appreciated.

Do you have this issue in Tadasana, Utkatasana, Uttanasana? Do you have the pain in Prasarita Padotanasana, Adho Mukha Svanasana and Urdhva Dhanurasana?

Generally speaking, what actions are you engaging in the standing poses that are troublesome and what alignment are you following? In those poses how are you using your toes and what color are they during the posture?

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;28750]Do you have this issue in Tadasana, Utkatasana, Uttanasana? Do you have the pain in Prasarita Padotanasana, Adho Mukha Svanasana and Urdhva Dhanurasana?

Generally speaking, what actions are you engaging in the standing poses that are troublesome and what alignment are you following? In those poses how are you using your toes and what color are they during the posture?[/QUOTE]

Hi InnerAthlete.
Thanks for responding
:slight_smile:
No problems with Tadasana, Utkatasana, Uttanasan, adho muuka svanasana.

I will have no pain in prasarita padotanasana Unless I have done Virabhadrasana 1 or 2 first.

It seems to be the warrior 1 and 2 that set off the pain, along with lunges.

During 1, my pelvis is aligned forward, during 2, it’s aligned properly also, um, how would I say…facing forward while moving laterally?

In 1, with hips facing foward, let’s say with the left foot forward, after establishing my left foot facing forward, outside of foot parallel to long side of mat, back right foot either angled at a 45 degree angle or up on the ball of the foot, I will recheck alignment and roll my right hip foward so both hip bones are facing forward. I try to keep my weight distributed midline, but it seems the pain starts in my forward foot. I set a wider base for my feet, somewhat wider than my hips, for balance. Reverse above for right foot.

In 2, in a similar fashion I rotate my hips in proper direction toward the long side of the mat. When then going into Trikanasana, I make sure my knee does not extend past my ankle.
I do have a challenge with having my shin form a straight verticle line from ankle to knee, my knee wants to bow outwards. I can though roll it back inwards, and am fairly successful with keeping my hips aligned properly toward the long side of the mat while doing this.
I also keep my stance wide in 2 for balance, and focus on keeping my upper body aligned through the midline. If doing trikanasana toward the right, I will roll my upper (left shoulder) back to obtain and maintain, alignment. During trikanasana, because of the pain, I can only reach down with my hand as far as the inside of my knee, palm facing out. If the pain wasn’t there, I feel I could go further.

By this time, the pain has begun, and as it worsens, I will lift the toes, in this case on the right side, hold them up for a moment and spread toes, placing back down and lightly gripping.
During all this, my focus is to maintain proper alignment of the foot, with 2nd toe facing forward, outside of foot parallel to long side of mat. I will come out of the asana rather than lose the integrity of it.

Trying to think…Doing either of these asanas once is not a problem, the pain is there by the time I do a second one, and the third time, if I choose to attempt, is absolutley dreadful.

When you ask the color of my toes, as the pain begins, I will try various ways to change the pressure on my foot, so I may lift the toes, grip, attempt to distibute the weight evenly…nothing seems to help.

One other consideration, hip flexibilty.
I practice pigeon pose to release facia and stretch the piriforis and sciatic nerve. I gently stay in this position, first starting with a folded blanket under the stretching leg, then, over a period of several minutes slowly increase the stretch, feeling the release. Delicious.
I am not able to sit on my heels as my upper thigh (iliotibal band and sartorius) are also tight. I’m working on those areas as well and have seen progress. I sit in easy pose on a bolter, and when going into rock pose, I put a zafu sideways between my legs.

I feel is I had a solution for my feet, my practice would grow expotentially, as it has as I grown in knowlege and patience.

oh, BTW
I have had multiple rolfing sessions over the years, and overall this has helped tremendously in many areas.

In fact, this was the initial reason I got involved in yoga, at the suggestion of my rolfer.
The 2 have complimented each other nicely.

Came for the physical, staying because of the path it’s set me on.

No suggestions?

I suppose with this I’d suggest doing those postures once - I’m not sure why they are being repeated, and perhaps studying with a teacher that might provide some insight based on the full practice you display.

Aside from that, perhaps a double mat.

There is nothing that jumps out at me particularly from what you’ve shared but you can still look into it (within you) as long as you are not pushing your practice to pain.

hello i been having the same problem and was wondering if had found a reason for it? It gets to be so painful at times have to stop and just take pressure off feet and can’t focus on doing the poses. Warrior poses are the ones that seems to set it off though have had less degree of same pain doing other stuff and thought it was a combination of low archs and body weight. I’ve also had it suggested it was from tight tendons though that wouldn’t seem to fit with flexibility range I do have in legs. Would really like to find a way to alleviate this since it is a rather big set back in practice.

I used to always get sore feet in class! I had very flat feet, and I believe it was the muscles in my feet and ankles working away when they were hurting. I now have arches in my feet from practicing yoga, and I no longer experience this pain, so I’m pretty sure that this was the case.

Take it easy in your practice- come in and out of poses when it gets too much, and always check in that your weight is balance evenly under your feet, and toes aren’t clenching, etc. Do some foot stretching as well to counter this.

I think your intuition that your feet don’t feel strong enough is probably right. Don’t worry, it actually isn’t that uncommon, and they will get stronger!

Good luck!

just to share… hopefully you do not have the same problem…
but I was diagnosed with diabetes 6 years ago…and my blood sugar was very high…and probably had been undetected for a while.

unfortunately, I have developed neuropathy in my feet…
which causes feet to feel hot…and standing for long periods to be painful.

walking on cement is the worst…pain can go up feet into ankles, shins, and calves…

it is worth it at least to check it out.
you do not want this.

Hello Bob,

would you mind sharing your eating habits with us and outlining how that has changed as a result of this please?

gordon

Hello Gordon…

I will share…
before…I was a very bad eater…
lot of sugar, salt fried foods…and i drank pop

When my diabetes reached a tilting point.
my vision also reversed itself…I no longer needed glasses to drive…and actually could read things from a long way away…, but i also had to start wearing reading glasses…

it took 6 weeks for the vision to return to normal.
the neuropathy has not gone away.

now my eating is much better…no pop obviously…
and my sugar level is fine.

obviously…it was the best thing that ever happened for me…

I had a similar problem, terrible burning under my feet doing astanga yoga.
It always came on later in the class
Soon I realised that trying too hard to flatten my feet in down dog was overstretching the muscles and tendons on the bottom of my feet, damaging them in fact.
I eased off on my feet in down dog and the pain stopped.

You CAN do too much yoga asana, or do it too intensely.

I do Bikram Yoga, and have very high arches in my feet. However, I still get bad pains in my feet. It confuses me :confused:

I agree that you may be stretching your feet too far in poses like the downward dog. Also, I assume you are in bare feet? be sure that you are hydrated and not cold. You may have poor circulation so your feet may remain cold while the rest of you is warm. I would suggest doing things like jumping up and down on the balls of your feet to keep them warm and the blood flowing. This will strengthen your feet greatly.

Thanks very much :slight_smile:

Have any considered Plantar Fasciitis? http://www.creators.com/health/rallie-mcallister-your-health/feet-hurt-it-could-be-plantar-fasciitis.html