Parkinson's disease

Q ? from Tatiana - What practices would be feasible, useful for a person with Parkinson’s disease? I took a class of 13 people with various illness, conditions (MS, brain damage, arthritis) through awareness, pranayama and very modified Asana done in a chair. There were too many to work one-on-one with the man with Parkinson’s. He was shaking so violently, I put a bolster between his legs and belted his thighs. This allowed him have some steady contact with the ground and eased the shaking in the lower extremities. I watched him still and quiet during the breathing exercises, but during the modified asanas, his body went back to the trembling.

Any suggestions, words are most appreciated. Thank you also for your answers to my questions of last week.

Bless you. Tatiana

Parkinson?s needs individual connection to the student. Maintain lots of eye contact. Make sure he knows that you are with him fully. Pranayama is the best practice to give. Not asana as they are unlikely to provide help. The difficulty is more in the subtle and mental body not physical. One needs to treat situations according to the kosha not merely asana. Asana is not yoga. Yoga is a multi-dimensional approach to a multi-dimensional person. Find out which kosha is most affected and go subtler from there. As you found in first session what makes immediate benefit is to be pursued, let other ideas float away. Teach him to have a smooth steady breathing and look to your own breath to see that his state does not imbalance your own. The main need is for your compassion to match his need and keep your heart open.