Pets on the mat

Hi I am new here and have only been doing yoga for a couple years, off and on. I am going to be doing it more now that I have extra time. I love yoga and how it makes me feel. Everything is so positive and i just feel great, but there is only one thing that makes it hard. Believe it or not it’s my pets. I LOVE animals they are my passion. I have 2 rescued dogs and a cat.

So this is normally how it goes on the mat. I start my asanas and they come to lay around me in shavasana. I get up to do sun salutation or whatever and they are in the way. Im stepping back into plank and they are in the way. Im coming down from a shoulderstand and they are in the way. And over and over. It makes it very hard to move around and I am scared to kick them or roll over one one. They are all there almost the whole time.

It is so weird because I used to do it with no problems and now it is like they are jealous or something. We just got our last dog about 2 weeks ago and i started helping her do some little stretches because she has some leg issues (this was apart from my yoga routine, so I don’t know how they would connect the two). But now they are all trying to join in when I try to stretch myself.

It sounds like a silly problem but I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to yell at them or repeatedly drag them off the map. I don’t think it would be fair to cage them and make them watch. Plus one in a barker.

Has anyone else had this happen?? Will they eventually get bored with it and leave me alone? Im not going to give up, but I was hoping someone had some advice or at least maybe some ideas why they would do this.

Thank you,
Amanda

[QUOTE=EatinHerb;58962]Hi I am new here and have only been doing yoga for a couple years, off and on. I am going to be doing it more now that I have extra time. I love yoga and how it makes me feel. Everything is so positive and i just feel great, but there is only one thing that makes it hard. Believe it or not it’s my pets. I LOVE animals they are my passion. I have 2 rescued dogs and a cat.

So this is normally how it goes on the mat. I start my asanas and they come to lay around me in shavasana. I get up to do sun salutation or whatever and they are in the way. Im stepping back into plank and they are in the way. Im coming down from a shoulderstand and they are in the way. And over and over. It makes it very hard to move around and I am scared to kick them or roll over one one. They are all there almost the whole time.

It is so weird because I used to do it with no problems and now it is like they are jealous or something. We just got our last dog about 2 weeks ago and i started helping her do some little stretches because she has some leg issues (this was apart from my yoga routine, so I don’t know how they would connect the two). But now they are all trying to join in when I try to stretch myself.

It sounds like a silly problem but I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to yell at them or repeatedly drag them off the map. I don’t think it would be fair to cage them and make them watch. Plus one in a barker.

Has anyone else had this happen?? Will they eventually get bored with it and leave me alone? Im not going to give up, but I was hoping someone had some advice or at least maybe some ideas why they would do this.

Thank you,
Amanda[/QUOTE]

Hi Amanda,

And welcome!
I also have pets who like to invade my mat. One of my cats used to lie on my stomach/chest while I was in Setu Bandhasana when she was younger… Which was quite nice at the time :slight_smile:
What works for me is to place something else on the floor, perhaps a pillow or a blanket, somewhat close to the mat but not close enough to be distracting for me. The softest and cosiest thing on the floor + being close to human doing something = the place to be, at least if you’re a cat in my home.

Best wishes finding a good solution!

My cat is a yoga mat magnet, but it doesn’t help that when I first started practicing yoga I would dedicate each practice to him before starting. Whenever there was a break for rest I would use it to snuggle and pet him. Years later, he is never out of reach, waiting to be adored, or for a chance to catch my necklace unguarded and chew it off. It gets annoying once in a while, but I’ve just learned to adjust my practice around him, or give up and let him come lay on my neck and rub his furry face in mine to his hearts content. Surrender is a large part of the kriya yoga defined by Patanjali in the yoga sutras, right? hehehehe. Give in to the animals!

If they are seriously in the way, maybe try pouring some catnip in the corner and bringing in some chew toys to keep the dogs occupied.

I have two mats and I just lay my other mat close to mine. I think my cat likes the feeling/texture of the mat so she uses the unoccupied one while I am doing my yoga :slight_smile:

Now… for some reason whenever I am trying to do sit-up workouts and then stretching at the end of other workouts my cat seems to want to rub all over me…and I have to push her away because I am all sweaty LOL

I say either put them in your bedroom while you do your yoga or lay a mat or bed for them close by. My dog does the same thing if I do anything on the floor.

Here is me practicing Parighasana just a few minutes ago:

My dear Ellie is occasionally welcome on my mat. When I need more space, I simply close the door to my room and she seems to understand and there's no issue.

Animals can be trained not to get on the mat. Dogs most especially, and believe it or not, cats can be trained. I’ve seen videos. lol.

But my cat gets on the mat, he knows I will push him off. It doesn’t hurt him, and he gets the message. He tends to leave me alone after two pushes. I love him, and do it gently, but as SOON as he gets on the mat, I stop my pose and push him away.
My little kitty all I have to do is blow in her face (she seems to like to come and try to lick my hair in down dog) and she will go and leave me alone.
I like the idea of having a spot for them to lie on while doing yoga, then you know you’re providing them with something nice and they still get to be near you.

We don’t have to let our loved animals run us. :slight_smile:

My dogs do this and I just gently nudge them off, over and over and over again…lol

This is funny that I found this today. I was doing Kundalini yoga earlier and whenever I put my arms down one of my cats grabbed on to me with all four paws and decided to bite me. Not hard or anything. She must have thought it was a game. I have two cats and I think they instantly know when I put that mat down. They always no matter where they are come running in and decide to come cuddle or something while I’m on the mat. I think it’s cute as long as they arn’t always in my way. I like having them nearby, I find it calming.

my neighbors cat comes over from time to time and when I am practicing he head butts me and runs into me when practicing. Its really funny but a little distracting at the same time.

just put them into a differnt room for the time your practicing

My dog distracts me from practicing much, I even try to lock him in another room from time to time. Moreover, I had to buy some stuff via top fin customer service , otherwise it would be impossible to do yoga alone.