Pneumothorax - lung collapse

Hello, Mukunda, I have been approached with a question about possible reasons and practices for a student. He is in early 30’s and small stature. He has had 2 spontaneous pneumothorax’s. A pneumothorax occurs when the lung collapses either partially or completely. Usually it is the result of disease or trauma…a fractured rib, for example. It is quite unusual for a lung to collapse spontaneously…I have heard of it when someone has gone jogging in minus 30 temperatures…sucking in the cold air causes the lung to collapse in response. The reason I described this man’s stature is that it is most common in tall thin MEN. The medical cure is a 2 step program: first a tube is plunged in between the ribs, into the lung allowing the lung to inflate. Another treatment is to actually do open chest surgery…the outside of the lung is scraped, like with sandpaper, so that it becomes more sticky and adheres to the membranous sac which surrounds it. Less chance of deflation then. But this, is a very traumatic procedure…one this gentleman does not want to have to undergo.
The last episode that he had was when he started a kundalini class and was doing kapalabhati regularly (it happened at another time rather than when he was doing the practice). Needless to say, he is terrified of pranayama. And yoga in general. But also open to feedback into possible causes and solutions for prevention. I advised him against the kapalabhati, and that probably slow ujjaye would strengthen his diaphragm and intercostal muscles…but that a regular slow practice with heightened awareness would be of huge benefit. But I wondered if there would be more he can do? Thanks for any input. Namaste, D

The practice of kundalini yoga’s pranayama is not kapalabhati but rather called breath of fire, a technique that more closely resembles Hatha yoga’s bastrika or bellows. It is most beneficial for those people whose lifestyle is stable, do a regular spiritual yoga practice (not just a yoga for health benefits), and are either predominantly kapha or pitta. It increases pitta and can imbalance vata especially when one is predominantly vata, in physique as sounds typical of those with this symptom. In contrast this man being of small stature, he could be also predominantly vata, but I would need more about his physique to get a clear indication of Ayurvedic constitution. Kapalabhati is a kriya, a cleansing technique prescribed for those with increased kapha to the point of having health problems due to the increase in mucous, weight, or stagnation.

Since he is not interested in yoga and definitely not pranayama, I would suggest that he look at dietary recommendation from Ayurvedic point of view that to me would be vata diet for him.  I would also encourage him to address his current stressors and fears and if they are elevated that he seek spiritual guidance ideally or if not open to that then psychotherapy.  If he were my client I would see if we could do some gentle intercostal breathing as is described in my book.

I have not had experience with this phenomenon so my ideas are tenuous, ideal is for me to see the person then I can give much better guidance.  Blessings.  Mukunda