Practicing at Home without Videos

Salutations Yogis,

I have been practicing at home for a couple of years, some times more often than others. I have a hard time doing a session without the guide of a video. I can remember some short sequences after watching it a couple times, and might do them on my own here and there. But if I am doing a session any longer than 20 minutes, I usually put a video on.

I am wondering, what are some benefits from practicing solo, without a video? Do you notice any differences, positive or negative?

I am also wondering how you come up with sequences when you are not watching a video...Do you watch videos and write them down? Do you memorize a sequence or read a list while doing it? Where do you find the sequences?

The only times I have solo flowed, I pretty much just made it up as I went because I find the process of coming up with a sequence overwhelming. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, did anything help?

Any tips, comments, or just general experiences that you want to share are welcomed!

Thank You (:

Nothing wrong practicing solo but it is advisable to learn from master in initial phase because master or guru can observe and tell if you are on right path or no.

in case if you spend good amount of time practicing and after that if you realize you were on wrong track then the time spent may go underutilized.

In my opinion initially both solo and practice under guidance are required so that you can clarify your doubts on right time.

I actually spent my first year in a studio, but it is not economically feasible right now. Of course I am still (and always will be) learning. But I feel that I am at the stage that I can go solo sometimes, without even the guidance of a video. I am just struggling with that transition, primarily in terms of making my own sequences.

1 Like

You can join Arhanta Yoga, a Yoga teacher training online.

Start your journey to become a certified yoga teacher with our Yoga Alliance accredited online 200-hour Hatha Yoga teacher certification course. With this course, you will develop all the necessary skills to start teaching yoga professionally. You will understand the theory and science behind the different yoga poses (asanas). You will learn how to instruct, adjust, correct, modify and structure a comprehensive yoga class. When you successfully complete the course, you will receive an accredited certificate that enables you to teach yoga worldwide.

Our Teaching Approach

Benefit from 5 Generations of Yoga Heritage

Born into a family where yoga has been the way of life for five generations, I was trained in the tradition of Swami Sivananda. At the Vedic school I received a solid foundation in scriptures, including Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, and Yoga Sutras (to name a few).

We keep to the traditional root of yoga teachings, but we are not sectarian or demonical. My hunger for knowledge also led me to study modern sciences like anatomy, physiology, and western philosophy with pioneer teachers of new innovations.

We believe a teacher's role is to help the students to reach their goals. We have learnt that every student is unique in their physical capabilities, personal goals, and motivations. Therefore we prioritize personal guidance and understanding our student's needs.

This also reflects in our yoga asana teaching; we don't believe in one alignment for all, as every person's body is different, and everyone has his own best alignment. In the course, you will learn to understand your students, their physical capabilities, and their challenges. And how to provide suitable alignments and modifications for individuals.

At Arhanta, we don't just teach yoga. We teach you how to reach your full potential, expand your knowledge, build your confidence, and take charge of your life.