Pranayama in Asana

Hi, This time my questions are about Pranayama in Asana.

(1) What is the advantage of doing Ujjaye while performing asanas?

(2) Some schools prescribe deep three-part ujjaye after asanas (they claim it will remove the lactic acid formed in your body) and some others recommend ut pluthi (Bhastrika in Tolasan/Padmasan). What is your opinion about these practices?

(3) I would like to practice dhyana immediately after asanas, then Savasana, pranayama and Savasana to end the practice. Is there any advantages/disadvantages for this sequence?

Thanks in advance, -AJ

There is an extensive overview of pranayama in Yoga Journal April 2002. The short and sweet of it is that each school of yoga that teaches pranayama (and not many do) emphasizes different goals and methods to reach those goals. So one should choose a school and stick with it.

For 1) Ujjaye is there for both concentration as well as to increase the benefit to the system due to control over the diaphragm and hence also over digestive organs. I am of the lineage of Krishnamacharya for Hatha Yoga (for spiritual practices a different lineage that of Muktananda). In our method the asanas are to serve the pranayama. Pranayama comes first it is most important s it is the medium that connects both body to mind and mind to Spirit. Without that there is no Asana. It merely becomes gymnastic exercise.

For 2) there are most schools of 3 part breathing is done on inhaling from bottom up and Krishnamacharya is from top down exhaling is reversed for most schools. Bhastrika was highly recommended by my spiritual teacher to help promote awakening of Spirit but not emphasized by Krishnamacharya except to specific individuals. I find pranayama needs to be applied to the system and there can truly be no comparison because each system is going to a different place. Yoga is rarely considered as a path to Spirit and the Divine Presence. For those I commend its use as such. For others yoga is for health and well being.

1. I do not see a benefit in doing so, other than that you are incorporating all the practices, which is good. Sequence that is best in terms of promoting the evolution of the prana is Asana, Savasana, pranayama, then dhyana (meditation). Savasana tends to cool down system as it increases apana prana and tends to dissipate the excesses of the emotions and the mind. It is best not to do following meditation, as the uplifting effect from udana prana is lost. As udana prana is the gross source of the kundalini, its energy is to be cultivated to help promote continuity of spiritual insights and realizations.