Pranayama vs asana for physical benefits

Is is possible to enjoy the benefits of asanas through pranayama alone? What kind of physical benefits do asanas offer that pranayama won’t?

Prana is after all everything. So if that is controlled, will that not take care of everything including physical wellbeing?

I currently perform around 22 mins of pranayamas (10 mins of nadi shodhana, 10 mins of kapalbhati, a few rounds of bhastrika). If I must perform another 20-30 mins of asanas to ensure physical wellbeing, then I will, but I’d just like to know what I’d be missing otherwise.

seriously this is taking you away from the main goal of yog.do both as they complement each other.both will improve health.

Anything is possible:-)

That said, pranayama is a control of the breath with several different “benefits”. This you should actually feel in your own living since you are doing some pranayama that has one effect on the CNS and two others that have the opposite effect.

Since the movement of prana in the body is directed into nadis (energy channels) it is critical the physical body have alignment first. This is especially true when the pranayama being done is fiery, active, aggressive. When the body lacks this alignment the prana is not moved into the channels but rather into the organic body and that can cause serious issues.

As far as “prana is everything” it is germane to note that while that is old yoga it is not necessary a static state. Yoga, as a system has a flexibility (stages referred to as yugas) and should one read Sri Aurobindo (for example) one would note his transformation through yoga centers around light (photonic energy) not prana at all.

Physical well being is relevant because the body is the vessel that contains the spirit. Physical well being therefore is a requirement not an end.

There are very few “musts” in yoga. If what you are doing is working to move you toward light, evolve you, then it is perfect for you and not intellectualizing is required for your personal path.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;87504]Anything is possible:-)

That said, pranayama is a control of the breath with several different “benefits”. This you should actually feel in your own living since you are doing some pranayama that has one effect on the CNS and two others that have the opposite effect. [/QUOTE]

Thanks. Please could elaborate what you mean by opposite effects?

So far I have felt a distinct increase in my mind’s efficiency. Not sure which pranayama is the cause of that.

I hesitate to elaborate for three reasons:

• The first is that the student is beckoned by Yoga to cultivate discernment (in all things, this included) and a telling taints the experience.

• The second is that the transmission of yoga is optimal when it is teacher to student through contact hours (translation- the internet is a poor conduit for this sort of “teaching”)

• Third, the asking by the student raises some significant concern over whether they should even be doing it … if they aren’t incredibly clear as to the purpose, effect, intention and results of their action(s).

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;87508]I hesitate to elaborate for three reasons:

• The first is that the student is beckoned by Yoga to cultivate discernment (in all things, this included) and a telling taints the experience.

• The second is that the transmission of yoga is optimal when it is teacher to student through contact hours (translation- the internet is a poor conduit for this sort of “teaching”)

• Third, the asking by the student raises some significant concern over whether they should even be doing it … if they aren’t incredibly clear as to the purpose, effect, intention and results of their action(s).[/QUOTE]

Somewhat unfortunate comments on a “Yoga forum”. Why not close the forum altogether and let everyone discern everything for themselves and find their gurus?

What’s the point of a yoga forum if it’s not for questions and answers?

PBH, i think pranayama alone can get you all asana benefits and more. Please keep us posted about your progress and experience:)

[QUOTE=CityMonk;87513]PBH, i think pranayama alone can get you all asana benefits and more. Please keep us posted about your progress and experience:)[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Will do.

[QUOTE=PBH;87510]Somewhat unfortunate comments on a “Yoga forum”. Why not close the forum altogether and let everyone discern everything for themselves and find their gurus?

What’s the point of a yoga forum if it’s not for questions and answers?[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I did answer, twice. I did not suggest one "discern everything for themselves. Though that’s actually a fine suggestion for yoga.

Some things are answered and some are not. Some are answered directly and some just stir the pot. Some teachings are appropriate for a beginner but not for an intermediate - and vice versa.

I didn’t say “buzz off and go figure it out”. I gave an honest, fair, reasonable (as I see it of course) reply and then an even more honest one about my own feelings of reservation. If a person doesn’t “like” a reply, fine. But I fail to see how it’s “unfortunate”.

your pranayama routine seems quite inspiring for me;) my school of yoga ( and my practice recons:) that asana before pranayama is the best. Swami Rama says that pranayama and meditation is enough, but one can find some asana teaching in his books as well;)
There are 7 shealth on the being according to yoga and ayurveda. Asana, pranayama and meditation should take care of three koshas respecteely.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;87516]your pranayama routine seems quite inspiring for me;) my school of yoga ( and my practice recons:) that asana before pranayama is the best. Swami Rama says that pranayama and meditation is enough, but one can find some asana teaching in his books as well;)
There are 7 shealth on the being according to yoga and ayurveda. Asana, pranayama and meditation should take care of three koshas respecteely.[/QUOTE]
reading his path of light and fire vol1 he clearly stated that asana should be done before pranayam

Which do you think is better for your body, pranayama or asana (yoga poses)? It's a bit of a trick question: the answer is that both are great for your health, and each has its own set of benefits. First, let's start by talking about what pranayama is—it's the practice of breathing exercises. It's an ancient technique used to energize and revitalize the body. It can increase energy, build stamina, and improve overall health. Breathing exercises can be done anywhere and don't require any equipment; they're also free to try! Pranayama does take some practice to perfect, but it can be very rewarding in the end.

Asana is another great way to stay fit. Asana is the practice of yoga poses. These poses have been shown to relieve stress, improve posture, aid digestion, and reduce pain. Yoga has been shown to help with back pain, high blood pressure, anxiety, depression, insomnia, and more. So it's really up to you—both pranayama and asana will help you feel like a whole new person!