Pranic Breathing

Dearest Mukunda,
Hope all is well. I emailed you a question about my student’s stomach - and we did the pranic balancing breathing you suggested and it worked instantly - it was so unbelievable!! After it worked she (I guess felt comfortable to ask now) mentioned that she doesn’t feel well from time to time and she feels like it is radiating from the left side of her stomach area. She mentioned that she did have a couple miscarriages (she has 3 children - the miscarriages happened between her 2nd and 3rd) Is there something linked? What could this “negative’” energy be? Is there an energy source in that area that can be worked on? Thank you so much - and she thanks you too! Warm Regards.

Working with the specific motions of prana takes time to feel them but start with keeping the Samana prana in her belly. This is done by concentration on prana energy flowing to middle of the abdomen (ideal is small intestine) during the pause following inhalation. Second is to concentrate on relaxation during the exhalation. The relaxation is optimal to be felt in the pelvis and lower abdominal area. Yet the Samana prana is not to lessen nor move from the middle abdomen during this exhalation. This is best learned in person from me so when we have an opportunity I can show you more.

Dear Mukunda…

I so enjoy your Q&A emails. Thank you. Was interested in the mention of pranic balancing breath for stomach problems… I have had a drug reaction to the use of anti-inflammatories, herbs and fosamax, which i am off now and use prosilec prn…I still have fullness and bloating occasionally if I have eaten too large an amount of food…would those breathing exercises be useful for me?

I am also opening constriction in the heart area and wonder how breath might facilitate this? Thanks and I trust you are enjoying your new location.

Namaste

For digestive disorders I would generically recommend lengthening the pause after inhalation as this increases Samana prana. That prana can be felt as the source of Agni, digestive fire. Visualize the warmth going there during that pause in the natural rhythm of breathing. The pranayama would be a basic ujjaye practice with this extension of the pause.

As far as opening your heart I would recommend doing a full hand mudra in which the thumb is placed with its tip at the root of the little finger and all other fingers encircling it like in a fist. Then place the hands fingers down on the thighs. Richard Miller calls this Jyesththa Prana Nadi Mudra in his booklet - Mudra - Gateways to Self-Understanding (order through www.nondual.com). It tends to promote more expansion of the lung tissues it is hence also most beneficial for asthma and other respiratory challenges.