Pratyahara

Would you please speak on the topic of Pratyahara. As one of the eight limbs of Ashtanga, Pratyahara often receives “short shrift,” so to speak. Is this practice something to be delved into in detail, as a practice on it’s own? Are there ways to practice Pratyahara while in daily activity, or perhaps before or during walking meditation? Does Pratyahara mean more than sense withdrawal or looking within? Be blessed and blessing. S

This is a highly overlooked topic. Pratyahara is the secret step that links the outer world of Hatha yoga into the inner world of raja yoga. The techniques stem from reading closely the Yoga Sutras on this topic and how the progression is made from Asana to pranayama to pratyahara in chapter II, 46-55. From my point of view there are techniques involving the use of mudras, bandhas and certain kriyas that induce the indrawn awareness. Mostly they derive from learning to identify the sensual experience that is prana and over time identifying its five component aspects. It is experienced by learning to feel the prana as it directs your attention then learning to keep yourself seeing within while looking in any direction. I am writing more about this in my upcoming book Ayurveda Yoga Therapy and its sequel Classical Yoga Meditation. They will not be printed for about a year. Thanks for the question. Namaste Mukunda