Prepare for Suryanamaskar?

Gurus,

As part of routine every morning, if one were to perform Yoga asanas, I understand that a couple of rounds of Surya namaskar will itself be a initiator. But my question is whether we can do some sitting and standing asanas et al for preparing for the Surya namaskara itselves. I attended some yoga classes about 11 years ago and was consistently taking asanas every morning for an year. Those classes taught me some of these asanas as preparation for the Surya namaskar.

I want to revive practising now and intend to start of gradually. Can somebody advice about the sequence in which I can ramp up the intensity of the practise every morning?

You had me until you said “ramp up the intensity”.

What I would do (and teach) before Surya Namaskar is a gentle progression of poses intended to prepare the body for the asana to follow.

The first element in the practice (for me) is to bring the mind into the body, ground, settle, harmonize with the bigger picture, cosmos, universe - whatever term you like. It is for that reason I recite the Gayatri before each practice.

As far as postures are concerned, that’s subjective and dependent on what follows. There is a sequence we teach called the Opening Series but I think it’s nice to have that taught (or discover your own) rather than have the list regurgitated in text over the internet.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;51558]You had me until you said “ramp up the intensity”.

What I would do (and teach) before Surya Namaskar is a gentle progression of poses intended to prepare the body for the asana to follow.

The first element in the practice (for me) is to bring the mind into the body, ground, settle, harmonize with the bigger picture, cosmos, universe - whatever term you like. It is for that reason I recite the Gayatri before each practice.

As far as postures are concerned, that’s subjective and dependent on what follows. There is a sequence we teach called the Opening Series but I think it’s nice to have that taught (or discover your own) rather than have the list regurgitated in text over the internet.[/QUOTE]
Thanks a million sir.

Possibly I can convey my objective more clearly. Here is what I am thinking of doing::

I want to revive my practice. Say two rounds of Surya namaskar for the first two weeks and then 5 in the next four and then do up to 10 over a couple of months and then stabilize or grow beyond.

I want this to be a part of a longer half hour in the very first week and I am in search of the order of performing the asanas. I need to know the easy pre namaskar and post namaskar (excluding Shavasan) asanas. I define easy here as postures/actions that do not directly conflict the rigidness that is currently existing but slowly mend it to the practice and align over a period of time. As you mention, the pre-namaskar asanas should help a gradual transition from a early morning rigidness into a properly prepared mode. The post ones should relax and build on what the Surya namaskar part has given to the body/mind.

I hope my question is better now.

Regards,
Venkata Rahul

@Venkata
There are a few very good yoga schools near Banglore I will advise you to be in one of them over summer. Learn the sequence of Sukshma Yog and then the Yogasanas. How about enjoying some good time with a few friends in one of the nearby Ashrams?
Atma Yog ashram and Mandala yoga ashram, Sri Sri has his Ashram there too. If you can try to learn the sudarshan kriya it might help you as well.
I am sure they will take you through the class, once you learn in an ashram and practice for a few days you might be able to remember the sequence for daily practice.
Deepti

I agree with Inner Athlete… it’s great if you can use the beginning of your practice to settle your mind, get into your body and become more present. Mantra is great for doing this, so is meditation, and so are some gentle poses.

What’s great about doing a home practice is that you can follow your inner voice… be present to what is going on for you in your mind and body now, and flow with it.

Then, once you feel centered, begin to move into sequences that a little bit quicker or poses that are a little bit deeper. For me, the lesson is to listen to your body, get in tune with your body’s energy.

Hi everyone,
I have been regularly doing cardio exercise and also finding my body getting toned.
The problem is I recently learned that intense cardio may get rid of my muscles instead of fat.
The purpose of me doing any exercise is to get toned, fit and not have any extra tyres.
So I decided to start with suryanamaskar for 30 minutes daily because it works up your entire body muscles.
My dilemma is that during cardio I used to sweat a lot but even after 30 minutes of suryanamaskar I just sweat 5 to 10 percent of it.
How do I know whether I am burning the fat calories and does Suryanamakar really work in losing weight?

A general warm up should be enough before you start doing suryanamaskar. Do some stretching exercises to arms,core,and legs and you should be ready.