The purpose of yoga is bhoga!

I knew a boy his name was Danny
Knew a yoga teacher Rani

She had a lovely studio
downtown Dublin dont you know
Every day you love to go
Bend over and touch your toe.

The purpose of life is to be the fullest expression of you

The function of the methods of yoga are just different approaches towards the expansion of consciousness towards one’s liberation. Otherwise, once one has come to the space - there is no purpose whatsoever. Union is not something which can have a purpose, and to reduce anything to a purpose is to impose a limitation upon it. To be in union with existence is freedom itself - and freedom is just that, liberation beyond measure, beyond meaning, and beyond purpose.

Excellently said AmirMourad. I would also add that yoga can certainly take on different areas of importance for different people. For me, it’s all about finding focus and ultimately peace. But that’s on most days… Yoga, for me, is there to help me in whatever which way my emotions or body needs it at that precise moment.

The purpose of life is to find out what it is ))

[QUOTE=Seamus;2416]I knew a boy his name was Danny
Knew a yoga teacher Rani

She had a lovely studio
downtown Dublin dont you know
Every day you love to go
Bend over and touch your toe.[/QUOTE]

Very nice:)

an addition to my first comment: ----The purpose of yoga is to find out what life is ))

[QUOTE=malyavan_tibet;1797]The purpose of life is bhoga,
pure unlimited pleasure,
and an immortal life to experience it,
all other words, activities,
to coverup this limitation,
No yoga without life,
The purpose of yoga is bhoga![/QUOTE]

Purpose of yoga?
I would like to find a purpose of it.
I know, the first of all I need to do it.
I will let you know it, I am not a fake.
I believe to look for it, this is my fate.

[QUOTE=synergyjasmine;57134]The purpose of life is to be the fullest expression of you[/QUOTE]

I thought the purpose of yoga is to be full of myself. My knowledgable forum colleagues sometimes have this impression on me … :slight_smile:

Ivana,

“Purpose of yoga? I would like to find a purpose of it.”

There is no purpose to existence itself, I do not think one is going to be successful in finding any ultimate purpose in yoga. Existence is without purpose. And its being without purpose is the only possibility for freedom. Because the moment life or anything has any purpose, you have become limited by it, you have become chained by it - your whole way of being is only for fulfillment of the purpose. And the moment the purpose is fulfilled, then your whole existence is finished, you have completed your ultimate purpose. But existence is not like that. Birthless and deathless, without beginning and without end, without any purpose or need for a purpose, it has always been. A purpose is a means to an end. Life is not a means to an end, the universe is not a means to an end - life is, and the universe is - but there are no means to an ends here except those which you have created in your mind. To feel a sense of purpose can be useful, just practically, to get things done in the world. Otherwise, it has no roots in reality - they are just your own projections. Yoga does not have any ultimate purpose, but relatively - it may have a purpose in your mind, and that purpose can be used as a means towards transformation.

love,

“The purpose of life is to find out what it is”

That is quite a severe limitation.

[QUOTE=newsonline11;63436]Yoga has many meanings: discipline, union, concentration, attainment. The purpose of Yoga is to stretch the muscles, strengthen the body and increase concentration. It can also help you for your relaxation.[/QUOTE]

Very nice :wink:

“Love is forgetting the time”

If by the “purpose of yoga” you mean the purpose of yoga techniques and exercises, then their aim is to achive the state of yoga. Yoga itself is a state of consciousness which is the unity between body, mind and soul. So not only the purpose of these exercises but also the purpose of our lives is to know our true identity and to experience yoga.

Classical Yoga
Hatha-Yoga courses

That life does not have any purpose and Yoga doesn’t have either, is an experience at the end of the journey. But from where we are, to travel that far is to go through several milistones. Each milestone begins with a hope to see a higher truth and ends up in living that truth.

Yoga is not a journey where we can keep ourselves intact and yet travel. Yoga is a journey of transformation. The change occurs in the whole persona, the views, the thoughts and the mind. The world changes because our terms of engagement change.

Until one reaches the pinnacle of Yoga where even having any desire is a duality that ends up a step shorter than the end-point, one has to have a purpose. As long as more change is still to come, one needs a driver to keep going. It is a disservice to the seekers to stand enlightened at the other end and to describe everything on the path as pointless.

The irony is in the question itself - a purpose of “Yoga”, as if Yoga is out there with agenda and purpose. It is like calling the hand that holds a glass of wine as the one who desires to have good time even when the owner of the hand may not. When one’s ego is convinced of need for its own dissolution, when one’s mind is willing to stand by aloof from the thoughts, when there is unceasing longing for the inner Spirit, Yoga becomes a tool, a goal and the very purpose of life.

The purposes of yoga were to cultivate discernment, awareness, self-regulation and higher consciousness in the individual.