Question for those who practice hot yoga: how to avoid broken capillaries?

Hi everyone.

So Ive recently started to practice hot yoga where I live. Ive read in a couple places that broken capillaries can be a problem for some people. I have kind of sensitive skin so I was wondering if anyone knew of any strategies to avoid this kind of problem? I really do enjoy hot yoga so don’t want to have to give it up.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Never heard of such a thing.

Hi Dave, have you done bikram for along time?

I’ve heard that the sudden increase and decrease of heat causes the capillaries to rapidly expand or contract causing possible damage

Hi John,

I wonder if you might be more specific with regard to “sudden increase and decrease of heat”? My understanding and experience with yoga classes where the room is heated is that the temperature is very well controlled and not at all modulated. As such I’m baffled by “sudden” and increase/decrease relative to temperature.

Can you clear this up for me?

gordon

Well with bikram yoga, it’s heated to
About 105 degrees and very humid. It’s about this particular type of yoga that I’ve heard the capillary problems

Oops, not in time to edit. Just read my last post and I left something out. What I was talking about in regards to sudden expanding and contracting is entering and leaving the hot yoga room at the beginning and end of class.

In your original post you didn’t mention Bikram. My response was inregard to my experience with Hot Vinyasa Yoga, which is what I practice in. I have practiced Bikram as well. We heat the room to 95 degrees. I love the heat in yoga.

I live in the Northeast and have walked out of Bikram classes into freezing temperatures. Your question seems valid and I don’t know much about the effect from that perspective. I quit Bikram because of the 105. The instructor one day said “lets see what this furnace can do” and cranked up the furnace. The brain begins to cook at 140, I know that was not the temperature, but it was enough for me to think that this isn’t for me. My wife and I opened our own studio. The rest is history.

That may be a valid concern John though I’ve not heard about it particularly one way or the other. I’d be more concerned about ongoing entry/exit from one temperature extreme to the other. If you can find some empirical evidence of the issue that may be a helpful jumping off point to determine if this is something you want to put on the line in the interest of your yoga practice. It is what it is.

Hi John,

I am reading your post from November 2013 hopefully it will reaches to you.

I have been practicing Bikram over one year very intensely reached amazing level of meditation and great physical improvement.

Unfortunately I have also sensitive fair skin and small red broken face veins started appearing too, redness around my nose and cheeks, itching.

I am going to have laser treatment and buy some special cream also look for a natural sources.

I have stopped Bikram now and miss it very much.

My goal is to reduce or ideally stop it and continue practicing.

Did you manage to solve your skin? Do you still practice?

Any suggestion I will be very happy for that.

Eva

Hi Dave,

I have been practicing Bikram over one year very intensely reached amazing level of meditation and great physical improvement.

Unfortunately I have also sensitive fair skin and small red broken face veins started appearing too, redness around my nose and cheeks, itching.

I am going to have laser treatment and buy some special cream also look for a natural sources.

I have stopped Bikram now and miss it very much.

My goal is to reduce or ideally stop it and continue practicing.

Any suggestion I will be very happy for that.

Eva