Question on Pranayama / Sleep Apnea

I suffer from Sleep Apnea and based on certain readings from the web, I decided to do the following Pranayama techniques. I did this for a month and half and i have mixed results and I am not seeing any major results atleast in sleeping pattern. Moreover, I am getting like Insomnia. Wondering if I am not doing it right. Any pointers will help. I live in Toronto and would be willing to train under any Pranayama guru and hence recommend if you know someone:

1. Anuloma Viloma - I do this for about 6 sets (left / Right) and some days 12 sets in the morning once I wake up around 7.30 AM - 4 seconds breathe-in, 16 seconds hold, 8 seconds breathe out and 8 second hold. I do this along with Aina bandha. Though, its advised that I should do this without any sound, I find it difficult to control the sound but can work on it. I have good control of holding breadth and I moved quickly to this 1:4:2:2 ratio in a few days of starting this technique. Should I avoid this and go to 1:1 ratio and no holding of breadth without any sounds and practice this more comfortably?

2. Ujjayi Pranayama - I do this 5 times while I walk in a park in the morning and also along with Bikram yoga poses (26 poses except Kapalbhasti). I do this in the evening around 7PM. For each pose, I try to do 3/4 Ujjayi breathing. Again, I make Ujjayi breathing sounds when I do the breathing. Though in one of the web readings, I found like one should not make any sound in Ujjayi pranayama breathing. I do this with Ajna bandha whenever possible.

3. Kapalbhasti - This I do for 2-3 mins depending on the energy level of the day. I do with Agna bandha

4. Bhagya bhanda - This I do for 10 times once I am done with Anuloma viloma in the morning. I release the bhanda by breathing in alternate nostrils (once in left with right closed and once in right with left closed - 5 times each)

I have some mixed energy levels and feelings. I am wondering if I am doing things right … is it too early to see any results… etc.

I am looking for only Pranayama focussed teaching and unfortunately all things I could find around focusses on Hatha / Bikram / Ashtanga and not Pranayama focusssed. I am also planning to visit India shortly and any guru in India is also of great help to me.

thanks,

Coming from a sleep technologist’s perspective; CPAP works.

You need to prepare the body with asana before starting pranayama. It’s like trying to plug too many devices into one electrical socket - eventually you blow a fuse. You are lucky only to have experienced a little insomnia.

If you are determined to pursue pranayama then I would suggest you find a teacher trained in the tradition of Dr Swami Gitananda - it’s not exclusively breathing practices but you may like it.

You need asana and pranayama both along with change in food and lifestyle. I have fixed such issues of my students in the past. You can find testimonial of this on my page
http://sohamyogastudio.org/new_testimonials.php

search for Insomnia word.

couple of days on no yoga did not give me a great difference as well… however I tried picking a lot of vitamin c based fruits accidentally and I am pretty good…
I might stick with astanga yoga asanas for now until I get some Thirumoolar based Yoga teacher… Is there anyone in Toronto who can teach in that method…

cheers

Your sequence seems to be incorrect.
Follow this : Start with Deep Breathing for 2 min. to energise, follow with Kapalbhati 3-10 mins as comfortable, then bhagya with 3 bandhs for 3-5 times 5-10 seconds per bandh., then Anulom Vilom for same duration as Kapalbhati.
Follow the above sequence in empty stomach.
Further after the above u can do Bhramari 3-10 times followed by Aum Chanting 3-10 times ending it with Silent Aum Dhyan for 1-3 mins.
Increase duration with practise not at once.
Im sure this will help in any kind of problems.

daisybac,
Its been 5 years. Can you share your journey out of sleep Apnea. Your experience will be of great help for my wife. Will look forward to your reply. Thank you!