Question - Postnatal Yoga

Dear Mukunda

As part of my yoga teachers training, I am writing a paper on postnatal yoga and am having difficulty finding any reference in the yoga scriptures specifically relating to parenting, babies, how yoga can help with the challenges that new mothers face etc.

I wonder if you could help me with this, or have any advice on yoga practices that may be particularly relevant during the postnatal period?

Thanks so much for taking the time to consider this question

Kate

Kate -
Yoga Research and Education Center has a bibliographic file on pregnancy and that is the best source for more infomration. I asked them for references on classical texts on this topic and they had none. I know of no yoga text on this topic. You might want to make a note of them for future reference. You can contact Trisha Feuerstein at mail@yrec.org for specific inquiries or check out their extensive website for the scope of their work - www.yrec.org

There is a chapter 8 of the Sarirasthana or constitution of the body section of the Charaka Samhita, the major Ayurvedic text, that addresses fertility and pregnancy issues.  There is only one sutra there addressing what is to be done with the mother following delivery and it is not about yoga.  It makes the following recommendations for promoting kapha and its underlying quality called ojas.  Take ghee, oil, along with pippali (Indian pepper).  Massage her belly with ghee and oil them wrap it with a clean long cloth to help regulate Vayu (prana).  Ideal is to eat a gruel dish with pippali for first five to seven days following delivery.  

From my point of view I would recommend giving kapha balancing poses, that is holding postures to restore her stamina and also those which keep her heart very open.  These should include postures where her baby is on her body as well as partnering poses with her husband to restore their physical affection for each other.  For balancing kapha, much sensuality and enjoyment is to be encouraged with practices not details of poses.   

the best yoga book on women's issues other than [u]Yoga - a Gem for Women [/u]by Gita Iyengar is [u]Nawa Yogini Tantra [/u]by Swami Satyananda Saraswati of the Bihar School of Yoga in India.  The writings from this school based in Sivananda Yoga is quite excellent.  They recommend Pavanmuktasana series (my joint freeing series), and much pranayama with Yoga Nidra for deep restoration of serenity.