Radiculopathy in one leg

Hello, I have been a student of Hiyalah’s for about 1 1/2 yrs. I was explaining to her that a few weeks ago I began to have radiculopathy in one of my legs. She wanted to discuss with you for any advice. The only correlation that I’ve made to this malady is that it gradually began after a few sessions where we concentrated on back extension poses like cobra and one where you lay with your back across the seat of a chair, using high blocks under sacrum while my back. There may be a few others but I don’t recall them or the pose names. I didn’t have immediate pain during poses but seemed to show up day or few later.

I have not had a diagnosis of spinal disc problems but now I believe I have irritated a condition that may have occurred about 5 yrs. Ago. I tipped over backwards in an office chair. Yes, loud thud and laughter followed by a pretty bright blush! Anyway following that graceful move, I had immediate low back pain and dull leg pain in the calf. The back pain went away after a few weeks but it took months until I didn’t notice the dull sensation in my leg.

Now it is the same leg. I will try to describe the radiculopathy symptoms but every day it feels different. Here is the variety of what I feel: outer calf dull ache, same side deep buttock ache, sometimes foot of same leg feels tingling. Ache is noticed while standing but usually worse when sitting. Sometimes more prominent immediately in the morning even though I sleep on side. I have had 2 weeks off of yoga during holiday break and symptoms are the same. My usual exercise, walking hasn’t been hindered by this. I have thought that it would be wise to take the next session off yoga and find back exercises specifically for disc problems and see what happens. Thanks for listening to my troubles, any thoughts? D

D - I suspect injury is too sacral and lower lumbar nerves at their roots. My suspicion is that your sacroiliac joint is not moving properly and it can be corrected by exercise. General discussions and a clear description of exercises for this joint can be found on the archive file www.yogaforums.com for my Q & A. However this is not easy to do via email or written descriptions. I will describe it as moving alternating into hip flexion and extension then internal and external rotation while seated with legs to one side. But best is to call for details when you can do it over the phone with me. Namaste Mukunda