Remove rods?

Hi Tom, hope all is well for you:

I have a female relative (46) who @ the age of 16 had a steel rod 12 inches long placed in her back for her scoliosis. She is trying to be active today – doing Taibo, playing racquetball, swimming. The rod is now protruding in the upper thoracic. She is very inflexible – shoulders extremely rounded. I suggested she try to do slight backbends with rolled blankets to encourage the chest to open and the upper back and shoulders to open up. She is very concerned how the upper body will continue to try to round while at the same time the rod will keep the rest of the spine straight and how critical the protrusion of the top of the rod will be. She is willing to try yoga in her area - Portsmouth, NH - but is hesitant since she is so limited in flexibility (cat is impossible). Would you have any suggestions for her? Removal of the rod is what she would like to do, but that is a very serious series of operations that is quite dangerous.

Thank you K

K - I do not delve into questions about whether or not to have surgery, I leave that to her and medical professionals. There is not much I can say unless I know specifically where the rod is and what motions she can do. In general with this procedure I encourage developing full range of motion of shoulders and hips and as much strength as possible from those muscles. I would not try to address much about the spinal column or even abdominal region as this is most likely where rod is.