Removing alcohol from my life

I’ve recently been pondering the idea of removing alcohol completely from my life. Now, note that I’ve never had an alcohol abuse problem. In fact I really dislike getting/being drunk. I just enjoy the taste of a nice craft beer or glass of wine along with the camaraderie I’m usually sharing.

I think since the new year I’ve had probably about 7 beers - 5 over at a friend’s while I was helping him clean up his work shop and 2 when I went out to dinner with my parents.

I’m really trying to be the absolute best person I can be - the quietest, calmest, coolest me as a speaker I heard yesterday said. On one hand, I feel like a few drinks in moderation isn’t a bad thing - especially since I’m trying to get myself out there to meet new girls and going out for a drink is certainly a popular first date. But on the other hand, I feel like it’s completely counterproductive, maybe even hypocritical to my own body, to put toxins into it while trying to delve deeper into a yogic mindset and practice.

Any thoughts?

As long as its moderation then its not a problem. From a fitness standpoint theres no better way to derail any results you may achieve. I have a few drinks a week, usually when I’m BBQ’ing

Yeah, it’s fine as long as you don’t develop an alcohol problem. Also, I do think to a certain degree, that wanting to meet girls and also pursuing the the deeper points of yoga, could be considered a conflict of interest. From my experience, the more priority you give to yoga, the less likely women are to be attracted to you. If you want to meet girls, use alcohol in moderation, and use yoga in moderation as well.

Alcohol has been with us for thousands of years. Some apes have discovered and harvested fermented fruit (discovery channel) and the finches in my neighborhood raid my crab apple tree in the fall after the apples have fermented (it’s a scream to watch them fly bombed). Does not make it right. Does make it part of nature. Not an excuse for abuse.

most yogis recommend complete abstention from alcohol. it all depends on where your priorities lie.

[QUOTE=YogiAdam;51546]Yeah, it’s fine as long as you don’t develop an alcohol problem. Also, I do think to a certain degree, that wanting to meet girls and also pursuing the the deeper points of yoga, could be considered a conflict of interest. From my experience, the more priority you give to yoga, the less likely women are to be attracted to you. If you want to meet girls, use alcohol in moderation, and use yoga in moderation as well.[/QUOTE]

would you please reveal a secret what alcohol has to do with meeting girls?

[QUOTE=CityMonk;51734]would you please reveal a secret what alcohol has to do with meeting girls?[/QUOTE]

I think it has something to do with making people look more attractive who otherwise would be overlooked, and so broadens the field :smiley:

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;51750]I think it has something to do with making people look more attractive who otherwise would be overlooked, and so broadens the field :D[/QUOTE]

What about dating cute girls that like you? :))

I have permanent beer goggles, no need to drink.:stuck_out_tongue:

Moderation is the key, I drink beer when I’m with friends or cooking. I’ve been extremely drunk before and don’t like it much. :mad::lol:

[QUOTE=HotChickenStrips;51938]Moderation is the key, I drink beer when I’m with friends or cooking. I’ve been extremely drunk before and don’t like it much. :mad::lol:[/QUOTE]

i like the idea of this opinion. thanks for share it with me.

[QUOTE=AthMJ;51486]I’ve recently been pondering the idea of removing alcohol completely from my life. Now, note that I’ve never had an alcohol abuse problem. In fact I really dislike getting/being drunk. I just enjoy the taste of a nice craft beer or glass of wine along with the camaraderie I’m usually sharing.

I think since the new year I’ve had probably about 7 beers - 5 over at a friend’s while I was helping him clean up his work shop and 2 when I went out to dinner with my parents.

I’m really trying to be the absolute best person I can be - the quietest, calmest, coolest me as a speaker I heard yesterday said. On one hand, I feel like a few drinks in moderation isn’t a bad thing - especially since I’m trying to get myself out there to meet new girls and going out for a drink is certainly a popular first date. But on the other hand, I feel like it’s completely counterproductive, maybe even hypocritical to my own body, to put toxins into it while trying to delve deeper into a yogic mindset and practice.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Water taken in moderation cannot hurt anybody.

Mark Twain

[QUOTE=YogiAdam;51546] From my experience, the more priority you give to yoga, the less likely women are to be attracted to you. If you want to meet girls, use alcohol in moderation, and use yoga in moderation as well.[/QUOTE]

As a girl, I feel the need to chime in here and say that I’ve never been less likely to be attracted to a man because he does yoga. Also, I almost never drink alcohol, so if a man chose not to drink, that would in no way prevent him from meeting me. If you like ‘woohoo’ girls (this is my friend’s term for the kind of girl who likes to go to bars and get loud and show off), then not drinking would prevent you from meeting more of these girls and probably from having with them what they would consider a good time.

I would just like to clarify, as a 25 year old female yogini, that guys who do yoga are hot!! :lol:

I can understand the desire for the odd social beer, especially around a new group of people that you aren’t comfortable with. Having a beer in your hands gives you something to sip during awkward silences, fiddle with when you’re listening to the conversation, and get you talking more after one or two. However, making a good first impression is easiest to do sober.

If you want to stop drinking, great! Everyone makes their own dietary choices - from vegan to carniverous, to a beer a day. As long as you can comfortably stick to it, and not feel like you’re negatively altering your life, go for it! Personally, I don’t drink very often, but wouldn’t want to cut it out. I love a dark beer or a glass of wine, but I don’t get hammered like I did a couple years ago. Every now and then it’s just nice to go out with my girls and relax at the bar.

Quitting Alcohol from your is good idea and you deserve it. First of get determined for it. and then leave it forever. Yoga is also a good approach for this.

Tom:)

I have to admit I am in the exact same boat. It is so difficult to maintain a social life and network in many circles without having a few drinks even though I feel some guilt with every sip. I have gone out quite a few times without drinking at all and had a great time if not better but at the same time sometimes I get tired of fielding questions about why I dont have a drink. Dont be afraid to go out and not drink, the more you embrace the confidence that is gained by respecting your body the less problem you will have in fitting in without partaking. Not to say that I don’t drink sometimes, because I do, its fun to have a few drinks once in a while. I struggle with complete removal of alcohol even though I would very much like to (most of the time).
I have gone out as a DD more than once and this is a very beneficial way to avoid over indulging in a way that is socially acceptable and helpful to many people.
I understand what you are saying about meeting girls, I have a hard time meeting new people because of the demands of my job coupled with the fact that Im a total gym rat and that is pretty time consuming (not to mention my love for yoga and the time that takes that I am not willing to give up).
I will say that since I began practicing yoga regularly (about 6 months ago) my view of what is important to me has radically changed right down to where the food I eat comes from and my attitude toward others. I wish I would’ve discovered this practice and lifestyle years ago, but better late than never. The more I indulge my love for yoga the less I indulge my less positive, less productive habits.
I guess I don’t have too much advise because it is an ongoing issue in my life too, I like you am in no way an alcohol abuser and drink very rarely and moderately but I do feel its counterproductive. Yet it is still enjoyable, so how do the scales tip? You only live once and its important to live responsibly but you never want to lose sight of the fact that to be human is to be flawed and there in lies half the fun. Good luck with your struggle, Im right there with you!

I think the more asana one does the more sensitive we become to the subtler effects things have on our mind/body systems. Consciously eliminate alcohol for 8 weeks than add it back and see what the affects are. If no negative effects than you may decide like me that small amounts are not worth the nagging thought in the back of my head, daily green tea and ? bottle of merlot a week is to be enjoyed not worried about.

[QUOTE=Adler;60860]alcohol is harmful for health and we all need to leave it as it has side effects and is not good for health.[/QUOTE]

A grandiose statement you make. I will admit the phrase; “whisky and bad life choices” has merit to it however, personally, milk/wheat has proven bad for my health yet seems to be beneficial for most others? When it comes to the human vessel there is one absolute fact, “life is bad for ones health” since we’ll all eventually age, get sick and die.

I have reduced my alcohol intake considerably over the past several months. I used to have a few drinks a week, not excessive. I did this, not for any spiritual or health benefit, but found that is was interfering with my sleep (I guess that is a health thing). I found that I lost a couple of pounds quickly (not that I needed to - 5’11" and went from 176 to 170 lbs) and toned up a lot. Not sure if I ‘feel’ any differently.