Rest

Could you speak to the issue of rest? Ganga White has said that rest days are as important as practice days. I came to Yoga as a runner, an injured runner. In the beginning, the Achilles Tendon injury was severe enough, I really couldn’t do much of anything, but as I recovered, Yoga - the Power of the Path - as I have called it, healed far more than just my Achilles Tendon. But, my training as a runner, at least as far as the importance of rest goes, has stayed with me.

I run and practice Yoga now, usually alternating Yoga practice (90 minutes) one day with running (four/six/or two miles) the next. On Saturdays, I usually practice Yoga in the morning, and run in the evening. I take one day completely off to rest. Generally, this feels balanced and comfortable. I pay attention to how I feel always, however, and if I simply feel like I need more rest, either in the form of a nap or in the form of another day off, or an ‘easy’ day of practice or running, I follow that guidance. I would appreciate your thoughts. A

I agree with Ganga as to the importance of rest. It sounds like you are doing a good kind service to your body. So where is the rest for your mind? Meditation and prayer are the kindest forms of rest for your mind to allow it to reach to Spirit.