RYT certification

What body issues/governs RYT certifications? Is that Yoga Alliance?

I found the answer to that. If anyone doubts that Yoga Alliance has validity, try getting studio insurance in Canada without it. Sports-Can requires it, I’ve been told.

If that is true I am saddened , of course if it is true it does not give them validity , unless while my back was turned insurance companies became the yoga meisters. We dont have that situation in uk . YET!

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;57596]What body issues/governs RYT certifications? Is that Yoga Alliance?[/QUOTE]

Yoga Alliance is but one body governing Yoga Certifications but it is one that in Canada offers strength and credibility to registered practitioners.

The requirements while not exhaustive enhance the credibility of registered instructors.

Studio owners and yes insurance agencies too here in Canada feel more confident knowing that RYT teachers meeting the standards of Yoga Alliance have at least the minimum training knowledge and experience to teach without negligence.

I don’t mind this, actually. It lends credibility to my instructors. One of the challenges I face in my part of the world is that, although growing in popularity, yoga still has a ‘new age’ air that keeps some people away.

Aside from that, it’s good to know that my instructors are properly trained and not making adjustments that can harm anyone. But, YRT does not protect against incompetence, and that can be said for any training field.

[QUOTE=charliedharma;57636]If that is true I am saddened , of course if it is true it does not give them validity , unless while my back was turned insurance companies became the yoga meisters. We dont have that situation in uk . YET![/QUOTE]

Not in UK yet but in UK you get - [B]CONFUSION!!![/B]

As some Instructors are RYT certified from Yoga Alliance in U.S. , whilst others are registered with the new Yoga Alliance U.K. (nothing to do with the U.S. group , in fact they actually put down the U.S. group on their site).

Suprised U.S. Yoga Alliance does not sue the U.K. group for taking the name and intentionally misleading or confusing people (they knew fine well choosing that name that would be the case), they probably feel not worth the money to do so or even risk losing in another country.

[B]Query I’m not sure on??? :

If you do a Teacher Training course not RYT registered that is say 200 hours can you then register yourself with Yoga Alliance in U.S.? [/B]

It?s all wacky lately with the spiked interest in yoga (asana). Fortunately newcomers exploring yoga usually have astute traits therefore effective instructors will survive i.e. students eventually ask around, check out who?s filling classes, experience variety before finding quality that suits, accreditation then becomes irrelevant. Unfortunately worthy instructors are pressured into conforming, similar to what Flex mentions in Canada?BTW Flex have you ever been confronted by the suspicious family member who think you?re brainwashing their loved one into a cult when in reality all you?re doing is guiding asana?

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;57924]… yoga still has a ‘new age’ air that keeps some people away…
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps this is a projection, or it is being energized/proliferated by your consciousness and therefore it is coming to the fore more dramatically in your experiences?

You may be right. Thanks IA.

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;57597]I found the answer to that. If anyone doubts that Yoga Alliance has validity, try getting studio insurance in Canada without it. Sports-Can requires it, I’ve been told.[/QUOTE]

if one is teaching at the yoga studio, and the yoga studio is covered by insurance… why one need separate insurance?

dont tell me that people can not sue teachers because they have an insurance:)

My studio has to carry insurance, but contract instructors also carry their own liability insurance. Insurance rules may differ between Canada and US.

RYT certification is a good thing for yoga teachers. It makes the teaching profession more professional. It gives the yoga student more confidence in the teacher. And it gives the teacher a sense of pride in having achieved something.

RYT certification can be done with any Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga School (RYS) and has been designed to teach you the techniques, training, and practice of teaching yoga as a service to others. The RYT certification is a 200-hour Yoga teacher training course where you will learn how to teach safely, effectively, and compassionately while you build your own personal yoga practice.

After completing your RYT certification, you will have a solid foundation in teaching skills and an understanding of what it means to be a yoga teacher. You will have learned about anatomy and physiology, about different asana styles, about pranayama and meditation, about ethics and professionalism, about cueing and sequencing, about yoga philosophy and history...and much more! By taking this course you are committing yourself to deepen your own personal practice while also learning how to teach others.