Scoliometer

You once mentioned that the numbers we get from reading the Scoliometer would have to be multiplied by three to match the numbers resulting from an x-ray. I find this confusing … is the reading on the Scoliometer incorrect? When do we ‘do the math,’ and when do we not do it? I’m asking because, in measuring for scoliosis with a student referred to me by a chiropractor, I measured her thoracic curvature at 12 degrees using the Scoliometer. The chiropractor found the same degree of curvature using x-rays. Had I multiplied by 3, I would have obtained an incorrect result - no?

2x greater on those who are physically active. Thus this is an approximation. The reason for the discrepancy is that x-ray is taken with client prone while our reading is with standing forward bend which will straighten the curves seen in prone position. Basically do not do the math unless the client brings their medical records and/or x-rays. Then you might see as in this case that the two readings are in agreement. The Scoliometer is an inexpensive tool by medical industry standards. The scale there is easy to read and is meant only for scoliosis screening for adolescents. The fact that I use it in this manner is only to give us an indication of where the spinal curves are located and their relative severity. Anything over 7 degrees on that scale should be treated more aggressively, encouraging the client who didn?t realize they had a curvature to work on exercises that lessen the curve. For those who come knowing they have a curve we can compare their x-rays to the Scoliometer and begin to see relationship. I find it is generally 3x greater for those who don?t exercise and up to