Sequencing a yoga class

Hi Folks

I have posted a few times before and as I have mentioned I am coming to the end of a teacher training course. I have been doing a little practice teachering with a few friends and family. Within my course my teachers have covered the sequencing of a beginners vinyasa flow class and I am slowly finding my way in terms of ‘flow’ (no pun intended!!). Sometimes the time goes too quick and other times it goes very slowly - could anyone recommend any good additional websites to have a look at on tips etc on sequencing.

Thanks

Justine

What sort of tips did you have in mind Justine?

There is an art to sequencing (IMHO) which takes into account the efficacy of each asana. That art takes quite some time to cultivate.

There is also the process of choreographing one movement into another or one pose into another. That process, as best I can tell is predicated by the fast pace of a flow or vinyasa asana class. I am uncertain that the sequencing (based on my exposure to Baptiste teacher-training and my subsequent training in Purna Yoga) in a flow class uses efficacy as a prime function.

So I’m wondering which you are asking about - sequencing asanas so that their effect on the soul of the student is cumulative and integrated or choreographing movement so that the rhythm of the class is not disrupted?

Hi,

I cannot refer specifically to the style of yoga you were trained in, but I would like to add a few suggestions in general about sequencing if I may:

1. Always keep balance in mind, yoga is about balance and any sequence should allow for this balance to reflect in the class.
  2. Add some joy and laughter to your class. New teachers tend to be so serious sometimes, I know it is also your nerves, but relax, your yogis will pick it up when you are tense.
  3. Make time for self-reflection before a class, connect to the Divine and ask for guidance. Flow with the inner Guidance, it knows best.

Good luck, you will know best in any case.

Hi, Justine!
IMHO the best of the best answer to the FLOW is TriYoga founded by Kali Ray (Kaliji). She was the very first one to bring the concept of the Flow into the world of hatha yoga back in the 80s. Before Her nobody ever thought that on can flow in a yoga class.
There is a lot to say about the uniqueness of the style and how it came into existence, but to answer your question…
All of the TriYoga sequences are systematized in a such a way that you cannot but experience the flow of energy in the body, clamness in the mind… ( ah what else do we want from a yoga class:-)) .This is acheived due to the vertebra by vertebra movements synchronized with breath and mudra. Flowing on the mat we follow the principle of the economy of movement, here each movement counts. Another principle is to keep the same rhythm and tempo throughout the whole class.
The Flow is different from vinyasa. Vinyasa connects various posture in a smooth sequence. In TriYoga each asana, the way we enter it, sustain and release, enter another one or a sequence of repetitive movements (kriyas) - these are all part of the Flow.
It is truly hardly possible to describe the way it works in just one post:)

here are links to the web resources:
Kali Ray TriYoga?
www.http://kriya.triyoga.com/

also you can find some videos on YouTube:
YouTube - in the Flow of knowledge

Justine,

These other responses have given some good tips! I believe that every instructor will find a style unique to him or her as they go along. It just takes time to “settle” into yourself as a teacher, but some of the best advice I’ve ever gotten is to “share what you know, not teach what you’ve learned.” A great phrase to ponder in meditation for sure. ;-D

Sequencing definitely is not something to be done at random; when you enter class, always have some sort of goal in mind you wish to achieve with your students. This goal, be it to open the chest, explore hip mobility, or focus on a certain chakra, is really the driving force behind the asana you’ll select, and depending which you select, you will arrange and build them as a sequence progressively, staying true to your goal and staying in tune with how your students receive it.

Sequencing may seem daunting at first, but with time and a thoughtful approach it really becomes a natural thing. Best of luck along your journey, and let us know how things are going!

Namaste,

Elizabeth Schonagen, founder
EverybodyYoga.us
Breathe. Live. Enjoy.

Perhaps relevant to mention the above download is $8.95

Hey Do you want to learn yoga from experts? We are at Arhanta yoga offers yoga teacher training online at an affordable price.

Start your journey to become a certified yoga teacher with our Yoga Alliance accredited online 200-hour Hatha Yoga teacher certification course. With this course, you will develop all the necessary skills to start teaching yoga professionally. You will learn, how to instruct, adjust, correct, modify and structure a comprehensive yoga class. Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an accredited certificate that enables you to start teaching yoga all over the world.

Worldwide Accredited Certification

Our online yoga instructor training course is accredited with Yoga Alliance, International Yoga Association, International Yoga Federation and The CRKBO (The Netherlands)