Sleeping at the end of yoga class

Dear all,

I geuss I’m not alone in doing the above?!

Lately at the end of my classes especially when practising at home.

After my asana practice, I lay for meditation, mind gently wonders, I try to just let it. As soom as it stops rambling, its piecefull but within minuites I’m asleep.

It’s a nice sleep, don’t get me wrong. I just feel It’s not what I was aiming for!

Usually sleep upto half hour.

The same thing happens when I go to bed at night, as soon as I manage to observe my thoughts and breath deeply I fall asleep, its fine at night time :slight_smile:

After yoga I eould prefer to stay concious even just for 10 mins in deep relaxation but without nodding off…

Any suggestions?

Best wishes,
Namaste

This is why you should try to sit with erect spine. Then its easier to stay conscious.

Please describe your setup for Savasana.

gordon

Lay on my back, feet hip distance apart & hands by my sides palms facing up. Eyes closed, start with auto suggestion technic, focusing on feet, gradualy moving upwards…

I see. I wondered if you had some propping under the head or neck.

It’s of course “okay” to nod off even though it is not the intention one is holding for or in the pose. As long as you ARE holding the intention to remain awake then the topic is fatigue during Savasana and there are five things to consider:

• you are actually tired from doing or over doing
• you are sleep deprived
• energy of the kidneys is leaky in your practice/living
• food combinations are draining rather than energizing

If you decide that something needs to be “done” about your dozing off then these five are things worth considering. I hope it is of some help.

gordon

Thank you all,
I will consider your thoughtfull tips

My apologies. I did not read the OP very carefully and therefore responded to savasana when it now seems the question was about supine meditation after asana.

I’ll try to be more attentive and careful.

gordon

No worries gordon, it is sivasana. Well at the end of my sivananda class we usually lay in sivasana for 10 mins. My teacher says this part is very important as it when you recieve the fruits of your practice.
It’s a kind of meditation/deep relaxation that can turn into a half hour nap when practising at home ;-b

Thanks again

The benefits of sleeping at the end of yoga class

The benefits of sleeping at the end of yoga class are many. The first and most obvious is that it is not likely to be interrupted by waking up early or immediately after a long yoga practice. This means that you can sleep more deeply, which is good for your health and well-being.

Another benefit is that you will be able to wake up refreshed and ready for whatever the day holds. In addition, you will have a much better chance of remembering what happened during your nap. This could make all the difference in being able to focus on what you need to do during the day, whether it be taking care of yourself or getting ready for your next project.