Sleeping: What position? What bed?

Hello.

I sometimes sleep in the living room instead of the bedroom (when I work late and don’t want to wake up my wife). I have a regular mattress for that purpose, but some time ago I fell asleep on my Yoga-mat. It is a very thick one that I only use for a few postures (shoulderstand, Halasana, Shavasana + a few more). I liked it and have now already slept several times on the mat (= around 7 hours). It’s a foam rubber mat and I put a large towel over it as a sheet.

First question: Could it be bad to sleep on such hard ground and is there any Yogic advice on how a good bed should be constructed? What about the pillow, with a hard ground I think it should be thicker and harder, so the cervical spine will not be bent. Is that the case? I think pillows for futons are quite hard, I have some movie-images in my head, those pillows look like solid cuboids…

Second question: Is there a best position for sleeping? I read some stuff already, but the only thing that seems to be common sense is that sleeping on the right side will free your left nostril which will lead to a cooling breath, sleeping on the left side will free your right nostril which will lead to an increase of body heat. I couldn’t say I ever noticed that it is so + I wouldn’t know what’s better… And sleeping on the back or the belly should be generally not so good, but the info on that is contradictory, one source says this, the other that. Also: When sleeping I will move around anyway, so does it even matter in what position I fall asleep?

I’d like to find out more about “Yogic sleep” (position and bed), so any input is very welcome.

Quetzalcoatl you pose some very interesting questions. i would love to hear more advice in regards to yoga and sleeping. If anyone could provide so input, i would also find it very beneficial

Traditional (hatha) yoga has very little to say about sleeping, beds and the like. So it’s very much up to you to find out the best way to get a good night’s sleep. Remember “comfortable and steady” (yoga sutra II-42)? Ayurveda, yoga’s sister science, does make recommendations for sleep and a good popular article is this. Most of this is common sense, anyway. A basic recommendation is to reserve the bedroom for sleeping and sex (e.g. no television). By extension of this principle, I would say the living room is for living and the yoga mat is for yoga practice. But this is just a personal opinion.

During sleep, one does move around. But you can chose the position in which you fall asleep. Lying on your right side opens the left nostril and this is calming. It takes some time to become sensitive to this relationship between breath and the subtle body. There is a whole yogic science behind it (swara yoga). A good introduction can be found in the “Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha” book by the Bihar school of Yoga. Harish Johari’s “Breath, Mind and Consciousness” has all the details. Lying on your back with the hands on the lower abdomen (following the breath) is calming as well. Lying on you stomach is recommended in case of back ailments. Again, there is plenty of choice and it is up to you to choose what’s best for you.

“Yogic sleep” is yoga nidra. Initially this is a relaxation exercise for the whole bodymind - all of the koshas. The koshas are the five layers (dimensions) of the subtle body. After years of practice yoga nidra can become conscious deep sleep and a way of removing samskaras at their deepest level. There are some very good CD’s on the market (e.g. Richard Miller, SwamiJ) if you want to pursue this topic.

Hey Willem.

Traditional (hatha) yoga has very little to say about sleeping, beds and the like.
Surprising, isn’t it, since we sleep so much.

So it’s very much up to you to find out the best way to get a good night’s sleep. Remember “comfortable and steady” (yoga sutra II-42)? Ayurveda, yoga’s sister science, does make recommendations for sleep and a good popular article is this. Most of this is common sense, anyway. A basic recommendation is to reserve the bedroom for sleeping and sex (e.g. no television). By extension of this principle, I would say the living room is for living and the yoga mat is for yoga practice. But this is just a personal opinion.
Sure. But it’s also common sense not to cause unnecessary discomfort to others. From my personal experience I can say, that it’s great to sleep on the mat and that is why I am looking for a permanent solution. There are not really any beneftits that I could pinpoint, I am not more refreshed or anything, and since I did not wake up on a matress, also not waking up on the mat doesn’t really count too. I have no disadvantages, I feel not sore or other leftovers from a night, like it was the case when I had slept on the floor before (camping, parties). The hard ground just feels good, I don’t really know why. Might be something spiritual. If you want to bring up Sutra 46: The harder ground is more steady and stable, it might be that, what feels so good. But again, it needs some effort first, both to get used to remain on the floor for hours and to find one of the fewer comfortable positions. There are more of these on the mattress, as it, to some degree, compensates improper body positions.

I could guess that there are some ideal positions for the body and that the body will find them on a hard ground, because all other are very uncomfortable = painful. I could imagine, comfortable positions on the floor are somehow “archetypes” of sleeping positions and that it is more healthy or less unhealthy to sleep in these on the hard ground, than when sleeping in their comprised variantions on a soft mattress. But I don’t know.

What I know is that the hard ground applies more force to the body, for less of the gravitational force is buffered. This should make for example the bones stronger, so you’d be training while you sleep: Fantastic.

Again not do I still know, how or why it could be problematic to sleep hard. Nothing feels as if it was pressed on too hard. It might get problematic if you already are sore. Sleeping on the mat with an aching shoulder should be quite unpleasant.

During sleep, one does move around. But you can chose the position in which you fall asleep. Lying on your right side opens the left nostril and this is calming. It takes some time to become sensitive to this relationship between breath and the subtle body. There is a whole yogic science behind it (swara yoga). A good introduction can be found in the “Asana, Pranayama, Mudra, Bandha” book by the Bihar school of Yoga. Harish Johari’s “Breath, Mind and Consciousness” has all the details. Lying on your back with the hands on the lower abdomen (following the breath) is calming as well. Lying on you stomach is recommended in case of back ailments. Again, there is plenty of choice and it is up to you to choose what’s best for you.

“Yogic sleep” is yoga nidra. Initially this is a relaxation exercise for the whole bodymind - all of the koshas. The koshas are the five layers (dimensions) of the subtle body. After years of practice yoga nidra can become conscious deep sleep and a way of removing samskaras at their deepest level. There are some very good CD’s on the market (e.g. Richard Miller, SwamiJ) if you want to pursue this topic.
Thanks. I will look into such subjects sometime, but at this point, it’s too advanced. So far, not even my breath is deep and easy in a regular Asana-session. But I’m getting there.

If anybody else has any information about the subject, I would still be grateful for any revelation.

I find the most relaxing way to sleep is to have 3 pillows.

While lying on my side…

1 is turned sideways, placed under the neck so the head & neck are properly aligned. I allow the part of the pillow behind me to support my upper back.

the 2nd is propped behind my mid and lower back.

the third is in front of me using it as a rest for my arm, and front part of my body.

I feel support and nested on all sides, without being restrained. I can completely relax every muscle, and I’m fully supported.

I love to sleep with many pillows, too. By the way, could anyone recommend a good supplier of goods for sleeping? I have checked some cozy house sheets reviews , and seems like it is not bad company. Cozy House Sheets suggest premium sets and luxury bedding items, the client feedbacks are also good.