Some light on Kriya Yoga

[QUOTE=Pandara;32774]There are in total 8 kriyas. The first four as I understood it from my teacher is given to you each upon initiation. Kriyas 5-8 is not given but rather sensed intuitively by the kriyawitan (person who does kriya yoga).

Here with follow a description of the first five practices that is the First Kriya:

[B]1. Talabya Kriya[/B]

Talabya Kriya or Kechari Mudra helps to achieve the state of Tranquil breath while practiced in conjunction with Pranayam. It is an essential precondition before a Kriyanwita is introduced to the next kriya.

In the words of Lahiri Mahasay, ?Putting the tongue into the head or to the area between the eyebrows provides one to be able to connect the individual self of the seeker to the cosmic Consciousness or inner Consciousness of the inner Self, the Kutastha.?
Start off with 50 mudras in the morning and increase over time to 100.

[B]2. Kriya Pranayam[/B]

The [B]Downward Journey[/B] (you do 12 of them of 22 seconds each) as pointed out by Lahiri Mahasay himself is divided into four steps:

1. Raising the tongue in kechari mudra, breathing in using Ujjayi pranayama, as you breathe in visualize the breath running down the shushumna nadi from ajna chakra down to mooladhara chakra.
  2. crossing rudra granthi (= psychic knot) at the level of vishuddha chakra,
  3. crossing vishnu granthi at the level of manipura chakra and finally,
  4. crossing brahma granti at the level of mooladhara chakra.

The [B]Upward Journey[/B] (you do 12 of them of 22 seconds each) takes the same route back, as you release the Ujjayi breath you visualize the breath running up shushumna nadi starting at the level of kundalini shakti just below mooladhara chakra.

1. crossing mooladhara chakra
  2. crossing swadisthana chakra,
  3. crossing anahata chakra
  4. crossing vishuddha chakra and come to rest in ajna chakra

Repeat the next round.

[B]3. Navi Kriya[/B]

Start by doing Pratistha: repeating Om once at the level of each chakra, starting from mooladhara to ajna chakra and visualize it at the back of the spine.

[B]To do Navi Kriya[/B] ? Visualize navi chakra on the front of your body a little lower than manipura chakra at the back along the spine. Use ujjayi breathing in, swallow, hold and apply jalandhara bandha and repeat Om inwardly into navi chakra. Release the bandha and then the breath. Repeat 4 times in total. On the 5th you breathe in (ujjayi pranayama), but throw your head slowly back and repeat Om inwardly into manipura chakra visualized on the back of the spine. In the end you should end up doing 100 Om?s into navi and 25 into manipura.

End off kriya by doing Visarjan: exactly same as Pratistha, but you start from ajna working down to mooladhara.

[B]4. Yoni Mudra[/B]

Start by doing Pratistha: repeating Om once at the level of each chakra, starting from mooladhara to ajna chakra and visualize it as the back of the spine.

Many people teach Shanmukhi mudra as yoni mudra here, however I belief it is a mistake. This is what Shibendu taught us:

Sit in padma asana and assume yoni mudra with the hands. Apply kechari mudra and by ujjayi pranayama breathing in while all your attention is in ajna. Once the breath has been completed repeat Om into ajna and release the breath.

This kriya is practiced once every night before going to bed.

End off kriya by doing Visarjan: exactly same as Pratistha, but you start from ajna working down to mooladhara.

[B]5. Maha Mudra[/B]

Start by doing Pratistha: repeating Om once at the level of each chakra, starting from mooladhara to ajna chakra and visualize it as the back of the spine.

Sit in utthan padasana, with right leg out stretched.
Perform kechari mudra.
Take deep breath in, while exhaling bend forward and clasp big toe with both hands.
Slowly inhale, keep head up and spine as straight as possible, repeat Om into ajna once.
Release, come up by slowly exhaling.
This is one round, repeat 12 times.

Repeat 12 times to the left.

Repeat 12 times with both legs stretched out forward.

[I][B]Important Notice:[/B] May I ask that if you follow these practices that you treat them as sacred and with the necessary respect they deserve and apply them with an attitude of gratitude and reverence to the Divine for the great opportunity you have received to have access to this kriya. Most importantly, please stick to your practice, get a teacher if you don’t have one, because your awareness will change and you will need the guidance of a loving teacher along the way.[/I]

Blessings to all and thanks to the Divine.[/QUOTE]

Hum. everything I’ve read and learned suggests that the Kriya Pranayama that you are practicing is backwards.

On the inhale the energy is moved from the Base to the crown. Pause. Exhale pushing the energy back down.

For those saying you can’t find accurate Kryia online that’s not true any longer.

I was going to post a three part book showing this, but I guess I can’t post links until I have posted 15 times… If we can get around that limit I’d be glad to post the links for all to see.

You do not need initiation to practice Kriya yoga. You also do not need a living guru to reach enlightenment. Any Guru claiming this is forming a cult in my opinion. Being bound to secrecy about finding God? Think about that. Also a certain well known organization has pursued others with legal litigation…hardly God like in my humble opinion.

The sincere devotee that seeks the truth has nothing more to do than learn to still the mind via meditation (Kriya works best for me) and then speak directly to God. Your guru is just a human representation of God…maybe.

BTW as I’m sure most of you know Kryia Yoga is not the goal. It is but one means to achieve the goal. As Paramahansa said there are many paths up the mountain.

Now that’s not to say that someone that has traversed this path before you won’t be of immense help. However, I have not personally met a single person that could convince me they had fully realized they were God. If your guru can’t convince you beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is indeed God then I think you should judge his word with your own inner scrutiny. Basically trust God (not man) to help you find the truth.

[QUOTE=gnulnx;50510]Hum. everything I’ve read and learned suggests that the Kriya Pranayama that you are practicing is backwards.

On the inhale the energy is moved from the Base to the crown. Pause. Exhale pushing the energy back down.

For those saying you can’t find accurate Kryia online that’s not true any longer.

I was going to post a three part book showing this, but I guess I can’t post links until I have posted 15 times… If we can get around that limit I’d be glad to post the links for all to see.

You do not need initiation to practice Kriya yoga. You also do not need a living guru to reach enlightenment. Any Guru claiming this is forming a cult in my opinion. Being bound to secrecy about finding God? Think about that. Also a certain well known organization has pursued others with legal litigation…hardly God like in my humble opinion.

The sincere devotee that seeks the truth has nothing more to do than learn to still the mind via meditation (Kriya works best for me) and then speak directly to God. Your guru is just a human representation of God…maybe.

BTW as I’m sure most of you know Kryia Yoga is not the goal. It is but one means to achieve the goal. As Paramahansa said there are many paths up the mountain.

Now that’s not to say that someone that has traversed this path before you won’t be of immense help. [B]However, I have not personally met a single person that could convince me they had fully realized they were God. If your guru can’t convince you beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is indeed God then I think you should judge his word with your own inner scrutiny. Basically trust God (not man) to help you find the truth.[/B][/QUOTE]

Everything up to the bolded part I agree with.

You will never meet anyone who realizes they are “GOD” because that is absurd.

You may meet a self realized person. This person has observed their own face so to speak. And it is no longer intellectual understanding but wisdom.

Explanation of God Realization is dicey and Time consuming so i wont’ get into it beyond this.

THAT (God) is knowable.

Realization of THAT doesn’t mean that you are THAT.

“God Realization” doesn’t mean that you figure out that you are the Ultimate reality from which everything originates, it means - you know that God is. So that it is no longer intellectual understanding but wisdom.

When I speak of God - I do not refer to any devas or Ishvaras. (Praise to them for their work)

When I speak of God I am talking about the Original Gangster.

[QUOTE=The Scales;50514]Everything up to the bolded part I agree with.

You will never meet anyone who realizes they are “GOD” because that is absurd.

You may meet a self realized person. This person has observed their own face so to speak. And it is no longer intellectual understanding but wisdom.

God Realization is dicey so i wont’ get into it beyond this.

THAT (God) is knowable. Realization of THAT (God) doesn’t mean that you are THAT (God).

Meaning - “God Realization” doesn’t mean you are the Ultimate reality from which everything originates, it simply means you know that God is.

When I speak of God - I do not refer to any devas or Ishvaras. I’m talking about the Original Gangster.[/QUOTE]

Then how do you reconcile the lives of Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, and Perhaps Babaji?

[QUOTE=gnulnx;50515]Then how do you reconcile the lives of Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, and Perhaps Babaji?[/QUOTE]

as I explained in my prior post. Beyond that I shall remain quiet.

Just keep practicing the Kriyas and your sadhana.

[QUOTE=The Scales;50516]as I explained in my prior post. Beyond that I shall remain quiet.[/QUOTE]

I’m not trying to break your silence if you don’t wish…

I’m still very curious how YOU can exists out side of God?

If God is everywhere then nothing exists outside of him.

To become self realized is to directly experience the realization that you are one with everyone and everything. There is no I, me, or we. There is only God. Yoga itself means union. The practice of Yoga is to unite the individual with Atman or God.

[QUOTE=gnulnx;50517]I’m not trying to break your silence if you don’t wish…

I’m still very curious how YOU can exists out side of God?

If God is everywhere then nothing exists outside of him.

To become self realized is to directly experience the realization that you are one with everyone and everything. There is no I, me, or we. There is only God. Yoga itself means union. The practice of Yoga is to unite the individual with Atman or God.[/QUOTE]

Some of the notions you stated in the quote above are based upon ‘wrong knowledge’ or ‘wrong ideas’ therefore your thinking processes arising from that foundation is faulty.

Just keep practicing the Kriyas and Sadhana. That is my advice to you. This is all.

[QUOTE=The Scales;50519]Some of the notions you stated in the quote above are based upon ‘wrong knowledge’ or ‘wrong ideas’ therefore your thinking processes arising from that foundation is faulty.

Just keep practicing the Kriyas and Sadhana. That is my advice to you. This is all.[/QUOTE]

Not to sound crass (sincerely not my intent), but who are you to tell me my ideas are faulty and wrong (especially if you aren’t going to correct them)? Are you self realized?

The above was sincerely not intend to flame you or to start a flame war. It was more sincere question. It’s all to easy for people to parrot the words of others and parrot the words of scripture. I’m not interested in any of that. Scripture is worthless without direct perception.

For what it’s worth I have personally experienced a deep state of unification and oneness. There is almost no denying the universal oneness of the universe when this experience takes place. It has only happened to me once (I’d be happy to share how I got there in another thread). This experience was the pinnacle of every life experience I’ve every had. Nothing will likely ever top it. There is a certain sadness now because I can’t get to this state at will, but there is also a sense of urgency and trust as I’ve experienced it.

[QUOTE=Pandara;32774]There are in total 8 kriyas. The first four as I understood it from my teacher is given to you each upon initiation. Kriyas 5-8 is not given but rather sensed intuitively by the kriyawitan (person who does kriya yoga).

Here with follow a description of the first five practices that is the First Kriya:

[B]1. Talabya Kriya[/B]

Talabya Kriya or Kechari Mudra helps to achieve the state of Tranquil breath while practiced in conjunction with Pranayam. It is an essential precondition before a Kriyanwita is introduced to the next kriya.

In the words of Lahiri Mahasay, ?Putting the tongue into the head or to the area between the eyebrows provides one to be able to connect the individual self of the seeker to the cosmic Consciousness or inner Consciousness of the inner Self, the Kutastha.?
Start off with 50 mudras in the morning and increase over time to 100.

[B]2. Kriya Pranayam[/B]

The [B]Downward Journey[/B] (you do 12 of them of 22 seconds each) as pointed out by Lahiri Mahasay himself is divided into four steps:

1. Raising the tongue in kechari mudra, breathing in using Ujjayi pranayama, as you breathe in visualize the breath running down the shushumna nadi from ajna chakra down to mooladhara chakra.
  2. crossing rudra granthi (= psychic knot) at the level of vishuddha chakra,
  3. crossing vishnu granthi at the level of manipura chakra and finally,
  4. crossing brahma granti at the level of mooladhara chakra.

The [B]Upward Journey[/B] (you do 12 of them of 22 seconds each) takes the same route back, as you release the Ujjayi breath you visualize the breath running up shushumna nadi starting at the level of kundalini shakti just below mooladhara chakra.

1. crossing mooladhara chakra
  2. crossing swadisthana chakra,
  3. crossing anahata chakra
  4. crossing vishuddha chakra and come to rest in ajna chakra

Repeat the next round.

[B]3. Navi Kriya[/B]

Start by doing Pratistha: repeating Om once at the level of each chakra, starting from mooladhara to ajna chakra and visualize it at the back of the spine.

[B]To do Navi Kriya[/B] ? Visualize navi chakra on the front of your body a little lower than manipura chakra at the back along the spine. Use ujjayi breathing in, swallow, hold and apply jalandhara bandha and repeat Om inwardly into navi chakra. Release the bandha and then the breath. Repeat 4 times in total. On the 5th you breathe in (ujjayi pranayama), but throw your head slowly back and repeat Om inwardly into manipura chakra visualized on the back of the spine. In the end you should end up doing 100 Om?s into navi and 25 into manipura.

[B]4. Yoni Mudra[/B]

Many people teach Shanmukhi mudra as yoni mudra here, however I belief it is a mistake. This is what Shibendu taught us:

Sit in padma asana and assume yoni mudra with the hands. Apply kechari mudra and by ujjayi pranayama breathing in while all your attention is in ajna. Once the breath has been completed repeat Om into ajna and release the breath.

This kriya is practiced once every night before going to bed.

[B]5. Maha Mudra[/B]

Sit in utthan padasana, with right leg out stretched.
Perform kechari mudra.
Take deep breath in, while exhaling bend forward and clasp big toe with both hands.
Slowly inhale, keep head up and spine as straight as possible, repeat Om into ajna once.
Release, come up by slowly exhaling.
This is one round, repeat 12 times.

Repeat 12 times to the left.

Repeat 12 times with both legs stretched out forward.

[I][B]Important Notice:[/B] May I ask that if you follow these practices that you treat them as sacred and with the necessary respect they deserve and apply them with an attitude of gratitude and reverence to the Divine for the great opportunity you have received to have access to this kriya. Most importantly, please stick to your practice, get a teacher if you don’t have one, because your awareness will change and you will need the guidance of a loving teacher along the way.[/I]

Blessings to all and thanks to the Divine.[/QUOTE]

I have a question to see who knows the answer…

What are they for and what do they do?
:cool:

[QUOTE=gnulnx;50520]Not to sound crass (sincerely not my intent), [B]but who are you to tell me my ideas are faulty and wrong (especially if you aren’t going to correct them)? Are you self realized? [/B]
[/QUOTE]

You wouldn’t believe me If I told you.

[QUOTE=The Scales;50599]I have a question to see who knows the answer…

What are they for and what do they do?
:cool:[/QUOTE]

The only one I have found to be important is Kriya Pranayama.

When the yogi inhales he feels the incoming air move down his spine while at the same time moving the energy from the base to the chakra. The reverse is done on the exhale. This is in accord with Lord Krishna in the Bagavad Gita 4.29

“Still others, who are inclined to the process of breath restraint to remain in trance, practice by offering the movement of the outgoing breath into the incoming, and the incoming breath into the outgoing, and thus at last remain in trance, stopping all breathing”

Beyond that practice I simply continue moving the energy up and down at an ever slower speed. As the concentration increases the breath naturally slows. After a time the breath is forgotten and only the energy is moved. Even the chanting of Om is forgotten. The mind is focused razor sharp on the up and down movement until you finally reach the state I refer to as body asleep mind awake. This state is pronounced by a rigid spine and a coursing living energy moving throughout the body. Once in this state the mind is simply directed directed towards God, prayer, or topic of interest. Note I say simply , but in actuality it is quite hard to maintain perfect concentration when the mind crosses over. The energy, bliss , and joy felt is enough to shake all but the steadiest minds. When you reach this state learn to watch without amazement. You have to remain completely detached in an ever increasing awareness.

I personally find all other aspects of Kriya Yoga to be a waste of time and energy. It’s not the practice we are after, but the goal it achieves. Still the mind while putting the body to sleep. From that state call to God and you will get your answer.

Now I’m curious as to your thoughts an the meaning and purpose of the various Kriya’s.

You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.

I have neither reason to believe nor disbelieve you, but it seems if you were indeed enlightened then you would be more than happy to correct the faulty logic I used. BTW I’m not even saying I completely disagree with you, but your methods are what I’m calling into question. You can’t expect people to take everything you say as absolute truth when you approach them by saying

Some of the notions you stated in the quote above are based upon ‘wrong knowledge’ or ‘wrong ideas’ therefore your thinking processes arising from that foundation is faulty.

Just keep practicing the Kriyas and Sadhana. That is my advice to you. This is all.

Of course any free thinking person is going to question what your authority is when you make statements like this. Then when you dodge the issue instead of answering the question directly it further calls into question your authority.

I live by this: [B]Believe nothing allow anything. [/B]

I can allow for the possibility that you are self realized, enlightened, etc, but you are going to have to go further than making a comment on a message board to convince me. Of course you have no obligation to prove anything to me… :slight_smile:

I already told you. In discussing the matter of God one runs into paradox. Thats why I said it “gets dicey.”

I explained what was necessary to you.

When as the result of your sadhana the light of wisdom begins to shine and you get the right chunks of information - you will figure it out for yourself - if that is your desire.
Up till that point its useless to discuss the matter . . . plus when the light shines enough and you work it out - it won’t need to be discussed because you’ll have figured it out for yourself.

Now stop buggin me.

Thank you pointing this out, I am planning a trip to India in 2013 and also to visit Sri Shibendu, will ask him about this and come back to you. For now I’ll stick to what I have been taught first hand by him.

[QUOTE=Pandara;50720]Thank you pointing this out, I am planning a trip to India in 2013 and also to visit Sri Shibendu, will ask him about this and come back to you. For now I’ll stick to what I have been taught first hand by him.[/QUOTE]

I think as long as you are getting the benefit from it then it is the right technique for you! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=The Scales;50711]Now stop buggin me.[/QUOTE]

Who is this ‘me’ that has been bugged or mighty master?

Perhaps my friend it is you who should step of the self proclaimed pedestal and realize that you have much more to learn than you have to teach…

For what it’s worth I agree this conversation between you and I is over. We are clogging up a board full of good vibes with our pettiness.

My sincerest wish is that your heart may be filled with the peace you desire my brother :slight_smile:

And my sincerest apologies to the board for allowing my words to bring negativity to the conversation.

Peace and Love to all.

[QUOTE=gnulnx;50725]Who is this ‘me’ that has been bugged or mighty master?

Perhaps my friend it is you who should step of the self proclaimed pedestal and realize that you have much more to learn than you have to teach…

For what it’s worth I agree this conversation between you and I is over. We are clogging up a board full of good vibes with our pettiness.

My sincerest wish is that your heart may be filled with the peace you desire my brother :slight_smile:

And my sincerest apologies to the board for allowing my words to bring negativity to the conversation.

Peace and Love to all.[/QUOTE]

You are highly amusing, I mean assuming, I mean . . .

You were “buggin” me because you were being annoying on purpose. (as your continuing to do - when I gave you good advice - nicely and to the essential points on the first go)

I already explained everything in the first post but you decided you wanted to be annoying (because I contradicted an absurd belief you hold) and make me re say what I said.

But this is how children act.

Plus you try to “turn it around on me” by saying I need or desire peace, or we are being petty (your the one being petty) and whatever other bologne you said. Trying to appear to be the bigger and better person. Like your teaching me something. Right? Your teaching me something.

comical.

I do enjoy from time to time knocking off smart aleck sleepytimers. But it’s never a fair fight, nor really a challenge - my deck is stacked. The Chumpx are just wack.
It’s kinda like taking a taco bell dump - easy.

A teacher in any endeavor can be very helpful.

Initiation too is very good and helpful.

Direct experience is the best way to tell, though. Do the practices without and then with initiation to see what the results are.

Then share, what you learn.

i’m curious for a long time too, but i have no idea what initiation is:)
can anyone give an example of initiation? please?

Usually when a student resonates with a teacher/lineage, a time is set to learn the fundamentals of that path.

The student is encouraged to bring a fruit, a flower, and a donation.

The fruit represents giving up the fruits of their karma.

The flower represents their devotion to the path until the final realization.

The donation represents putting all one’s resources towards the process of Self-realization, and also treating one’s resources as though they are “God’s” resources (so as not to be wasteful with our life’s resources).

There can be a meditation to begin. Then the teacher shares the fundamental philosophy and techniques.

Then the student places the fruit, flower, and donation on an altar. Then standing before the teacher, the teacher can place one hand on the students head, and hold the students hand in the other hand.

The teacher does nothing, merely gets out of the way, but lets the process occur as the student is receptive.

Then the student is initiated into the practice, and said to be “linked” with the lineage and tradition, which can make it easier to gain benefit from the practice. Just like life can be easier if one is adopted into a healthy minded wealthy family, once initiated into a healthy path and spiritual family, spiritual realization becomes easier.

Ultimately initiation is a new beginning. What we do with that new beginning and clean slate is up to us!

(Of course this is all based on my experience in the Kriya Tradition.)

In my experience, there is a lot that happens before, during and after the initiation ritual.

The guru (to distinguish from ‘teacher’ of today with 200/500 hours preparation) “knows” the spiritual legacy of a student and ususally knows when their guru-disciple relationship is to start or re-commence in the current life. However, many times, the student only has a potential and after a series of choices he/she makes in life one becomes eligible for initiation. For students eligible for much heavier spiritual responsibilities, the selection of a guru is made by other seniors. Their work is silent and annonymous almost by rule, but thousand times disciplined and methodical than one would imagine.

During the initiation ritual it is told to the students how the life would change, sometimes permanently, and some of the behavioral conditions are laid down. A student’s continued rituals signify understanding and acceptance. Many times, immediate family members are counselled and even asked to be present at the ceremony.

Guru has a ton of responsibility post-initiation. Not only some closely guarded things about the practice are shared with the initiated, but the side-effects, progress, and endurance are constantly watched. On successful completion of the intended spiritual curriculum, the guru is also required to transition the initiated to the next guru, many times the inner Ishvara.

I am initiated in Kriya Yoga and can tell everyone wanting to know if initiation means anything or not that yes it does.

Now don’t get the wrong idea I am no ones follower. Please beliefs are worthless. It either works and you can tell the difference or you can not. If you can not then you participated in a show nothing more.

I simply report SRF Initiation did nothing for me and CSA initiation did nothing for me and using Ennio Nimis instructions link mentioned for the 3 part book right here. http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/ likewise was equal to the above mentioned initiations. In other words informative but no real difference from reading a book on how to do something.

When I became initiated by Swami Atmavidyananda Giri http://www.kriya.org/about__swami.php?id=53 the difference was like night and day.

Where before I worked at practicing now I work at ways to arrange my scedule to find time to practice.

Where before I really worked at it now I just participate and everything happens on it’s own. Where before nothing changed much now I am finding ever new joy in meditation.

So based on this I have to say yes, but it does matter whom you get initiated by.