Spine Problems

Om I have a new student that came to me and said the following: she has thoracic spondylosis (5 or 6 years ago diagnosed through x-ray). She has 7 cervical vertebrae. In her lower lumbar she has degenerating discs (she thinks due to being a nurse). However, she appeared to be in no pain and had no difficulty in doing any of the work that we did (beginner/intermediate postures, plus full sun salutes). She does however have a very tight shoulder region. She said the class went well and she had no difficulty. She also said she went to Traeger massage to loosen up her shoulders 7 years ago or so and it helped tremendously.
I suggested to her that if anything feels the least bit uncomfortable, and she is unable to adjust in a manner that feels good without discomfort, to stop doing it, to ask for help and that it is really important we keep up an open communication and dialogue. I told her that I didn’t feel there should be any problems, and that yoga should help the upper back…that the muscle tenseness there could definitely be involved with all the spinal difficulties she lives with. I did let her know I would verify with you your thoughts. Thanks so much. K

The work of Milton Traeger, MD, is excellent for relieving emotionally based physical tension. It is just a way of shaking the body until it lets go. Basically it is a treatment for increased and stagnated prana (synonymous for the Ayurvedic quality of vata). My early history included owning a massage and holistic health institute in Sacramento. There I learned the principles of many forms of bodywork and hands on healing.
Applying this concept to yoga teaching do repetitive poses over and over and over, until client is bored then get them to shake it out. Vinyasas should be gentle, repetitive, with breathing followed by playfulness. You can use Joint Freeing Series as an example of repetitive simple motions but do them 20 times. I call it boogaloo yoga. This works wonders. Often helps to put on some captivating music when doing this form of practice. Allowing playfulness and the joy of childhood is most beneficial. Blessings. Mukunda