Starting at Advanced Age

A few years ago in my late 50’s, I started doing the Shirsasana for 2-3 minutes while waiting for the microwave in the mornings. I Now I am able to do it unsupported. I want to do advanced asanas, like hand stands, dhanurasana, etc., but find that there is almost no progress due to my stiff joints. After a lifetime of desk jobs, I am unable to sit on the floor for more than a few minutes. I was able to touch my toes after a lot of weight loss and some practice but I am amazed at all those people on Instagram who accomplish complex contorted positions in a few months after starting yoga and go on to be teachers.

Is it possible to do what I want to do if I am in my early 60’s now? I am a male, 5’ 7" and 165lbs - a bit overweight. How many hours of work is needed per day, days per week?

1 Like

It is for sure possible. I’m 5’9 and feel older than Jesus. Just started yoga and a good friend of mine is a great instructor. Here is my journey…

Watch “The Following Announcement - Let’s Get Down, Dog” on YouTube

Yes, it is always the right time to start. Please remember you may not achieve the “complex contorted positions in a few months”, but you will be further along than if you didn’t even try.

As for the time you put into it is based on where you’re perfect, sweet spot is each time. Some days you will be tighter than other days. Some days you’ll be able to find your peace, other days you may be short on time.

The journey is yours to travel. There is no completion, then is only what happens in the moment.

I have started the New Year with some YouTube demos. Recording occurred today. I still need to edit & produce them. Check out my store for when I attach the YouTube video to the Yoga Sticks.

Be Blessed,
LB

Hi there,

I agree with the others in saying that it’s never to late to start your yoga practice, and it’s not about the destination but the journey there, and if I can add something from my experience is that with time and regular practice your end goal might change too, crazy posture on instagram might not be that attractive or make any sense at all after sometime. This is because you start to feel the progress you begin to be more understanding of your own mind and you will able to live a happier and healthier life, who cares about instagram! right?

For me the moment I stopped doing yoga posture to impress people, I magically stopped injuring myself which occasionally would stop me from practicing and progressing in my own journey.

If can give you a few of tips for your practice would be:

1. At the beginning to find private yoga teacher with experience so that can show you how to progress and asses where you are at in your practice or alternatively a beginners class.

2. Start to develop your own practice, is better to do 20min self practice 5 days a week than 90 once a week, but it’s best to go to a led class once a week and do 20 to 30 min of self practice most days, so that you keep learning new things to add to your personal practice, as well as getting rid of stiffness regularly. It takes long time to get really stiff by sitting on a computer and it takes quite sometime to get flexible again.

3. Keep it simple, what happen is that we want to try to be good at something right away and do the contortionist stuff right away which often leads in frustration and injuries. In yoga you don’t need to be good, you just need to “be”, meaning be there, be present, feel the positive change and let it happen.

4. This is something that most people can start doing at home and I find extremely beneficial especially for stiff joints as you mentioned, is called Pawnamuktasana, is really good for beginners but I still do this exercises as a warm up for my practice, it looks a bit boring but is great, it’s safe, very beneficial, gives you enough material to start your practice right away.

Be well
Christian.