Stress, vata imbalance and arthritis

Namaste Mukunda,

My husband who you have seen before with roving intense leg pain is having these attacks again (still I should say). He had been experiencing them for the last few weeks and then when I was away recently (I am pointing to stress factor here, he had the two kids the whole time) his leg that was bothering him the most swelled up a great deal. He went to the Dr. who thought it may be a cyst or hematoma. He went to another to have it drained and they told him it was probably arthristis that may have been brought on by lyme disease or some injury he had a while ago (he doesnt remember one). They say the cartiledge in that knee looks worn down based on an x-ray taken and they want him to go have an MRI.

I know you would usually recommend the JFS and arthritis diet. When you saw him privatly you didnt give him asana b/c you knew he wouldnt do it. Of course you were right. As well he was very resistant to getting a dog. (It’s coming in May, thats the new plan). So I have two questions, I was surprised by the swelling, is that common or can it be something else? Is that an indication of his Kopha coming to try to soothe the irritation of the arthritis? He soaked in the salts you recommend and said that seems to do something, but I wonder if there is anything else to take the swelling down. The dr. didnt recommend anything. He has a partial memory of something to do with pain in his leg and a related severe unkindness from his mom from a long time ago. That came up one night when I tried to do a stress release technique on him. So it sounds like there is some injury, but maybe not physical.

Second question, he said he would listen to your recommendations. Of course I am the one writting this to you, not him. You already are aware of my frustration in working with him I believe, and I know its not my place. He has continued to reinforce that by not following my recommendations or processing them. I wonder if it would be appropriate for me to speak with his therapist. I am not sure how to proceed with a family member at this stage who is obviously in great need but is not willing to do the work, and my own need in seeing this addressed

thank you.

When one does not take action on what is needed it blocks pitta. Pitta is the doer. Blocked it becomes all sorts of inflammation including criticism or judgements. flowing it creates an exerise program and then kapha gets to follow it through to create regularity.

When one doesn't do exercise it blocks kapha, which can create major problem like tumor or mildly blocked just creates swelling.  swelling definitely shows injury. what is not our field to diagnose.

He ought to seek out lymphatic massage treatment and one who can assess for deeper tissue problems.  Probably the best practitioners for him are the ones who will work on him without him needing to do much homework except come to appointments.  I would suggest acupuncturist in the long run would be most helpful.  If a referral is needed you can contact my friend Margaret in NYC she is long term Taoist practitioner and very familiar with chinese community there.  Her number is 212-490-7954; have him call.  namaste mukunda