Stroke

Q from Hamsa
My question relates to yoga for those who have suffered a stroke. The people I will be working with (some in-patient, some out-patient, in a rehab facility) are receiving physical therapy; it seems to me that they would be interested in approaches to healing that involve some modified asanas, but that go beyond just the physical (which they receive via PT and OT). What aspects of yoga would you emphasize?

Neurological disorders such as stroke will respond best to an approach that emphasizes increasing prana. Prana is depleted and greatly lessened often on the right side. This will result in an irregular current (swara) that tends to be stronger in the left nostril. Surya Bhedana pranayama is also of benefit. In this practice inhale is only through the right nostril and exhale only through left. This is not to be given until you have done it yourself for 2 weeks. The specific Prana to increase is that which is promoted by ujjaye pranayama during a pulling effort in the inhalation. Prana is the energy that moves down and into the chest during the inhalation phase of breathing. Giving a specific sequence of motions with breath will also be of help. Major recommendation would be the Palm Tree Vinyasa that you might recall during your teacher training from Krishnamacharya. This sequence is to be done until it is memorized.