Studio size

For those of you who practice in or own a studio, what is the average size of the studio practice area? My experience is 575 to 900 square feet.

A disused church would be cool.:cool:Not as easy to come by as 20 years ago say but anything’s possible. You’re only limited by your imagination.

–it’s cold up in the arctic, or is it antartica…:slight_smile:

One could do something pretty incredible if one put one’s mind to it. A little application and effort is all that is required. I live in one of the bigger cities of the u.k and it would seem that the yogateachers don’t chase after’ the running or having your own studio’ thing.And there are’nt exactly a plethora of facilities or places either .more word of mouth. & regarding the teachers- Possibly becuause i’m noot sure how sustainable it is long-term or economically ( especially if there off to asia twice a year). But i think that could depennds on what kind of joint you want to open and run,a nd other factors.

I like your ideas. and am interested, in some respects.i’ve had these very ideas myself.

It’s like some facilities are good but some are just mediocre. Like here where i live folk like anywhere just lack the confidence to do it by themself. You can get alot of start-up adivce here in the uk for young businesses if you want. If you’ve ran yourown busines before instead of working for someoneelse ,then that is part of it.

I would run something that was more like a charitable institution, rather than as a business( though yess one has to be pragmatic) but also something pretty progressive to make yoga a bit more relevant and accessible. This lalso would probably make it more viable too. have a postures, but have other stuff going on too. A broader vision.

A beautfiful stunning studio it would have too. Like a shrine, quite large.

Uh I think he’s just asking for size of spaces in which we practice.

Yes FP, 600 to 900 square feet seems to be about right.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;18970]Uh I think he’s just asking for size of spaces in which we practice.

Yes FP, 600 to 900 square feet seems to be about right.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Athlete.

So, how many students does that comfortably hold at once?
And do you prefer a shape that gives you multiple rows of students if there are that many, or a shape that’s more severely rectangular, encouraging a single line of mats?

I am working on a few floor plans, preferably with 2 studios - one to fit 20 and one 30, comfortably. Both would be oblong, although most of the decisions would be precluded by the space.

I would first measure what I feel should be the minimal space for one person then multiply that by how many you want to fit. I would say about 50" x 100" per yogi’s then you’ll need to add space for props and the teacher.

[QUOTE=jlg;19083]I would first measure what I feel should be the minimal space for one person then multiply that by how many you want to fit. I would say about 50" x 100" per yogi’s then you’ll need to add space for props and the teacher.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Your formula works. Allowing for props and teacher, that’s 750 and 1050 square feet. And, gives room for workshop occasions where up to 20% additional bodies must be accommodated. In smaller communities, it can be 650/950.

What do you think about small group hot yoga…limiting it to 8 people in about a 240 sq foot room?