Suggest the first yoga book to read!

I’d love for us to suggest and choose which book to read as a community. Otherwise you’re all going to be reading my autobiography over and over and I hear it’s quite boring. Anyway, please suggest the first book! Once a decent number of suggestions are made, I’ll create a thread where we can vote on the book. A few simple requests:

1. Please only make a suggestion if you plan to take part in the club.

2. Please keep book suggestions yoga related (yes, I liked Grapes of Wrath too).

3. Please make only one suggestion.

4. If there are multiple translations of your book, please provide the specific translation you desire to use.

Thanks! :cool:

David, does it need to be a specific yoga type book or would books that reference yoga and people’s life journey be considered here?

If the book is about President Bush who tried yoga once and pulled a muscle, then it’s a no go. If the book is about someone whose journey was greatly influenced by yoga, then by all means yes in my opinion. However, I don’t want to dictate the rules here (I’d prefer the community shape this club) so if others disagree (or if you disagree) feel free to suggest the book and maybe give a short explanation of why.

i just got ‘yoga mala’ by jois. would that be start?

Certainly. :slight_smile:

Anyone else?

[QUOTE=wim;28239]i just got ‘yoga mala’ by jois. would that be start?[/QUOTE]

Interesting book that. I have so many to recomend from it’s hard to choose, lets say [B]Yoga Darshan[/B] by Bihar School of yoga.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I’d like at least five before we proceed as an indicator of interest in the club.

Were so close as well!

I have heard - elsewhere on this forum - that “The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice” by Georg Feuerstein is good. The subject matter captured my attention. You can look it up at Amazon and see some samples and reviews. Whatever book is chosen I plan to participate.

You are correct that is a great book, and I have had that for while now. Having moved so many times and having so many yoga books its diffilt to remember them all.

Another must, if you want a systematic set of practices, is the [B]Yoga and Kriya[/B] book by Bihar school, it’s 35 quid at amazon, and normally 50 quid, but this is one book any yoga student should probably have :slight_smile:

edit By David – I couldn’t find this on Amazon so I am going to substitute Heart of Yoga instead. I hope you don’t mind, please forgive me if so!

For spiritual book I would like to recommand - The Diamond Cutter by Geshe Michael Roach

I recommend all the books of the Bihar School of Yoga hailing from the Satyananda yoga tradition. They are deep,have a strong flavour of authority and authenticity, are very comprehensive, and all encompassing.If you cannot decide which yoga school ( or don’t have,cannot find a teacher) to embrace then i would recommend this one.Also founded on solid science and deep and rich lineage of Indian masters steeped in all the esoteric and hitherto secretive aspects of spiritual yogic knowledge, previously just shared via initiaition or spiritual transmission ( not to say that is not useful and could bring quicker results).

The Bihar books put the practitioner in the driving seat where he belongs.

I have heard that the Yoga & Kriya book that YogaBija refers to is as much suitable for a complete and committed begginer,accordin to Amazon at least ( commited to practice i mean, not just arm-chair philosophising,navel-gazing you could say,hehhe) as it is for the most advanced & discerning practitioners out there.

I am currently endeavouring to work through Satyananda’s ‘Kundalini Tantra’ book with the chakra sadhana programme outlined within.The idea is to purify & awaken your chakras for least 8 months before working with their advanced kundalini kirya programma. I hear it described on Amazon at least as a kind of companion volume to the bigger volume of 36 structured lessons( '[I]A Structured Course…[/I] 'etc).The more i work with the subtle body and it’s lay-lines, the more i blieve it is the mising link in, not just the miind-body health axis, but an important link in our personal evolution and yogic practice. Don’t yet have a copy of this but described invariably as the most complete and authoritative and authentic yoga book ever published, given all the glossy coffee-table stuff around nowadays.

I don’t wish to drown in books, i.e work through one at a time, but i really do like the satyananda or bihar school books. All branches are adequately covered for the discerning seeker.There are writtten and contributed to by folk that grew up in the yogic culture became sannyassins from a young age early 20’s or even younger, some introduced to masters, you might say, as young as 6 or 7 , were often disciples of Sivananda (Satyananda lived at his ashram in rishikesh for 7 years from 1943 onwards), and other luminaries and greats, in the 1940’s and 50’s (and early to mid 20th century), and did exhaustive surveys of yoga schools (& yogis’ yogas) during itinerant wandering years throughoout asia, the himalayas, tibet etc and the india subconctinent. Such people in my view are well placed to provide authoriitave and time-honoured instruction based on a lifetime of yoga practice and living.Absolutely steeped and thouroughly immmersed in the yoga culture. Where yoga might have a hard time penetrating is because of it’s perceived value and the disciipline required to properly engage as well as any cultural reasons that could get in the way of this. Preconceptions about spirituality etc, what this means to most folk. To many folk ‘spirituality’ is mistaken to mean a life of austerity ad penance-i.e suffering. When really yoga is authentically used to relieve if not end suffering and ultimately though quantum expansion of consciousness ultimately liberate that person.Words escape what this means; one needs to experience it to believe it.

Suggesstions-
-‘Light on Pranayama’- the Iyengar system of pranayama
-Any of the Bihar school of Yoga books- Bija’s suggesstion sounds a good one as it is described on Amazon as being as appropriate for the begiinner as it is for any level of practitoner. It sounds like it could be a good portal for introducing any level of practioner to the deeper levels of yoga other than and beyond asana.- the most comprehensive book-outlined yoga system i am aware of.Enough practices there to last you at least 3 years and more

The thing with any deep full scope yoga programme or system that it usually requires a level of committment from the student that is not always available. And for that a certain degree of discipline is required.This is a foundation- a sense that we can do things to further our continued evooution , in a sense speed it up somewhat- this is what yoga can do,and it is driven by our personal desire or [I]bhakti[/I](love of God,l the value and latent potential of our own life etc)… Some folk need an external motivator not just to guide us safely, approroiately and confidently,and allay any fears and doubts we might have…As Bija said, a stay in a retreat or ashram could be very beneifical as with others practicing and to guide you the conditions are better for the aspirant-free from distractions anf following a yogic lifestyle, way of life etc.

BTW, these are practical manuals.

Love to hear other people’s suggestions.