Teacher training suggestions

While the debate continues over whether or not someone is qualified to teach yoga after a 200 hour immersion class, I am in need of some help.

After finding and practicing yoga for 6 years, my teacher who also owns a studio, and is extensively trained, offered to train me to teach. I’ve been teaching for a year and can honestly say that the actual experience of teaching has stretched and re-molded me in ways I never thought possible.

The only problem is - I did not train at an “approved” RYT 200/500 school - instead of a beach for a month it took me over six months of very intense work in addition to keeping up with going to work and paying the bills. I teach now at the very same studio and am more than grateful.

I’ve thought now and again that I might “go somewhere” for official and RYT certified training - get the piece of paper, so to speak, so that I might be able to teach somewhere else besides the studio I trained in…there are opportunities in my area to teach a class once in a while, but they always want a certified teacher.

I don’t have the ability now or probably in the future to take a month off from work, but I have seen some trainings that do 2 - 1 week/10 day trainings instead of all 200 hours at once. I’ve found a few but was wondering if anyone knew of any others?

…oh yeah - somewhere in the northeast US would be best - since I could drive there easily

thank you and namaste

[QUOTE=solidaj;84519]
I’ve thought now and again that I might “go somewhere” for official and RYT certified training - get the piece of paper, so to speak
[/QUOTE]

“[B]get the piece of paper[/B]” - you’ll get to learn a lot about yoga in the process of receiving “the piece of paper”.

[QUOTE=ActiveLink;84562]"[B]get the piece of paper[/B]" - you’ll get to learn a lot about yoga in the process of receiving “the piece of paper”.[/QUOTE]

Nice!

Wish the mods would let us +1 posts

[QUOTE=Yogamark;84589]Nice!

Wish the mods would let us +1 posts[/QUOTE]
Thanks YogaMark. Even FB doesn’t have “Love or Hate Button”.

I think the people who originally created the RYT-system had good in mind (or maybe had only dollars in mind) but clearly it has become just another way to rip people off. I haven’t studied RYT but know many who have. I’ve heard so many times that the teachers are incompetent (often having graduated from the course held the previous year), the content is indefinite and very expensive. I’ve even heard of malpractices from behalf of the “RYT-certified instructors”. I don’t mean it’s all wrong, though. Surely among 53 000 certified instructors (the number from the Yoga Alliance website) there must be some who have some real understanding.

I wonder why people who have good teachers and education behind them have the need to join RYT. Get the paper from your own teacher, if you need it. There are also big yoga organisations who have taken up this “standard” that you can buy with money. I am myself an authorised teacher in my lineage but will never get involved in this. It is just another way to make a millions of bucks. And people blindly go along with it.

Some humans bamboozle and others get bamboozled.

Indeed Ray, indeed :slight_smile: