Teachings of the Himalayan Yogis

The Yoga practiced and taught by the great masters of the Himalayas is devoted to realizing joy. The swamis of this tradition teach that our realization of a direct experience with the center of consciousness is what gives wings to our ability to soar emotionally. This center is called Atman, or Purusha, the Self, and Absolute Reality. The teachings are derived from the [I]Yoga Sutras[/I], meditation, Tantric Yoga traditions, Advaita Vedanta, as well as Raja, Janan, Karma, Bhakti, Hatha, Kriya, Kundalini, Laya, Mantra, Nada, Siddha, and Dhyana leading eventually to a lifting of all veils of consciousness and a piercing of the great pearl of wisdom, to the Absolute.

The keepers of this tradition come form a long lineage of yogis, calling back to the Karmapas of Tibet (who trace their lineage to India). This lineage gave us the practice of the Mahamudra and the Six Yogas of Naropa. The Six Yogas are a collection of the completion stages in the study of the Tantras. The Kagyu tradition brought the practice to Tibet from India. The Six Yogas include: tummo (the yoga of inner heat, or building mystic heat, a way to increase and direct energy in the body), gyul? which is the yoga of the illusory body, osel, which is the yoga oof clear or radiant light, stage which is described in the anuttara yoga tantra (often translated as Unexcelled Yoga Tantra or Highest Yoga Tantra, is a term used in Tibetan Buddhism in describing the esoteric tantric Indian Buddhist texts that constitute part of the Kangyur) , milam, which is the yoga of the dream state, bardo which is the yoga of the intermediate state (may include aspects of milam and gyulu) and phowa, which is the yoga of transference of consciousness to a pure Buddhafield.

One of the modern swami?s of Tibetan yoga is Swami Rama, born Brij Kiśore Dhasmana or Brij Kiśore Kumar. He was raised from his youth by his guru, Bengali Baba and traveled between many temples to study under Himalayan saints and sages. He gained the position of Shankaracharya of Karvirpitham (also Karveer Peeth or Karweer Peeth) in South India, while is a high honor. Swami Rama retired to caves for long spell to maditiate in seclusion before returning to the larger world to teach yoga. He has since spent many years in the U.S. and Europe.

Some people may be aware of his contribution to western scientists attempts at studying meditation in controlled experiments. In the 1960s he allowed himself to be examined by scientists at the Menninger Clinic. He proved his ability to voluntarily control bodily processes (such as heartbeat, blood pressure, body temperature, etc.) that are normally considered to be non-voluntary. Other studies since the Menninger Clinic, including one conducted by Harvard, have proven similar results with the Dalai Lama?s seasoned meditating monks.

Though most of the teachings of the Himalayas trace their roots to India, they are peppered with their own insightful interpretations indicative of a practical and loving people. Tibetans, though persecuted since the Chinese invasion, have found it more important than ever to share some of the normally guarded secrets of the Himalayan monks, saints, yogis and scholars. We are wise to draw deeply from this well of wisdom.

? 2011 Christina Sarich http://www.yogaforthenewworld.blogspot.com

Hi Christina,

This article is only 543 words. I apologize but I’d really prefer to keep the articles I post here 1000 or more. The ones I am paying you $10.00 for are going to be posted elsewhere but those are very specific topics. :slight_smile:

o.k. I can expand this one. No problem.

Thanks for understanding :slight_smile: