Teas

I have developed quite a taste for teas. Although I grew up drinking traditional English-type teas from birth (hardly drink any coffee at all), I’ve not strayed much from the orange pekoes or earl greys. Nowadays, I drink a cup of rooibos every evening and green tea every mid-morning. Whenever I meet friends at local coffee shops I opt for the fruity teas, and love them.

I know the calming effects of the rooibos and green teas, and do honestly feel much mellower after drinking them. Tell me about other teas out there, from your experiences, and the benefits.

[QUOTE=Nichole;20416]This tisane, or herbal tea, aids the digestion of all three doshic constitutions. It is cooling for pittas, calming for vatas and reduces kapha. What a deal! It is also delicious, both as is and sweetened too. You can add honey for kaphas and maple syrup for pittas and vatas.[B]CCF Tea[/B]

[ul]
[li]1 tsp coriander seeds[/li][li]1/2 tsp cumin seeds[/li][li]1 tsp fennel seeds[/li][li]2 cups of filtered or clean-sourced water[/li][/ul]
Lightly crack open all three seeds (I use a mortar and pestle.)
Put all the ingredients into a pot and bring to a rolling boil. Turn off the heat keep once a boil is met and let sit. You can drink it hot or let it cool. In the heat of my summers, I drink with ice in the afternoon.

*nichole[/QUOTE]

Hey FP, this isn’t a tea by definition, but it is great brew to sip on. You can also make it your own with a sweetener and milk (dairy or other).

If you like fuity teas my favorite are the Celestial Seasonings Teas that you can get at just about anywhere (cub for sure). They come in just about anything fruity, and they also have different kinds of tea (i.e black tea, green, herbal, oolong, etc.) Another good brand is STASH, which you too can also get at cub, and it comes and a variety of different kinds of teas.

One of my favorite kinds of green tea is Jasmine Green Tea. It’s called Jasmine Tea and it comes in a square orange and black tin. It’s loose tea, but wonderfully delicious! You can get it at the whole foods store or at oriental markets because it’s imported from China. It’s also very inexpensive. It’s about 2.99 for half a pound, which isn’t that bad at all!

Maybe you’ve tried Tulsi or Holy Basil?

http://www.organicindia.com/

I love herbal teas:

• hibiscus flowers makes me sleepy, they sour and taste good cold and hot
  • god rose hips sour and rich in vitamin C, great diuretic, god when hot, brew in thermos for hours whole berries,
  • love corn silk that people throw away, neutral taste, great for digestion
  • chamomile relaxes and tastes goood
  • peper mint tea nice for summer time, very refreshing
  • all kinds of green teas make me too hyper, but taste good,

I totally found that orange tin at Cub Foods!!! It’s in the oriental/world area of the store with the big banners that say Mexican, Asian, Italian, etc. so just a heads up that you can find it at Cub :slight_smile:

From a green tea junky, I travel to our Shanghai, China office which is a short train ride away from Hangzhou (West Lake), Zhejiang Province, China?Longjing spring tea is the most heavenly elixir on the planet, you will never want other teas after it touches your lips?I get nervous when my stash runs low.

Our nearby mall just got a great place called David's Teas (any relation to you-kno-who?). Hundreds of wonderful concoctions. I've got my 14 yr old and her cool friends hooked.

www.davidstea.com

Slicing some ginger root, pouring some boiling water over it. Steeping for about 5 minutes, well actually I usually just leave the ginger slices in the tea cup because they stay on the bottom out of the way of sipping.
It is a beautiful pure scent and taste.

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;58878]From a green tea junky, I travel to our Shanghai, China office which is a short train ride away from Hangzhou (West Lake), Zhejiang Province, China?Longjing spring tea is the most heavenly elixir on the planet, you will never want other teas after it touches your lips?I get nervous when my stash runs low.[/QUOTE]

Can you get Longjing here in the midwest? What is in it?

You can buy it online, Teavana stores, etc. unfortunately the quality is limited and may not even be from the area I mentioned above. You can read about Longjing online and its wonderful reputation. There is always someone traveling between our New Jersey-Shanghai offices so I have mules. This time of year, spring tea is the highest quality some stockpile for the entire year. It?s very difficult to get high quality green tea outside of China, the Japanese sencha other Asian countries green tea products fail in comparison. You may also want to try some Chinese gunpowder green tea. Note; all tea comes from the same plant ?Camellia sinensis?. The difference is how it is stabilized and the area it?s grown; black tea is allowed to ferment naturally where green tea is toasted before fermentation can occur. It?s like going to Napa valley of tea when you travel to Zhejiang Province, China.

Thanks Ray! There is a Teavana store nearby and I’ll look for it next time I’m there.
Honestly, I’ll just have to make a special trip as you’ve piqued my interest in this tea!

Hi,
Green tea junky, I travel to our China, China office which is a short train ride away from Hangzhou (West Lake), Zhejiang Province, ChinaLongjing spring tea is the most heavenly elixir on the planet, you will never want other teas after it touches your lips…I get nervous when my stash runs low…

how 'bout The kaya tea?

I love the herbal and Chinese tea . . . They really are great in smell and in taste too.

[QUOTE=Beck;60141]Hi,
Green tea junky, I travel to our China, China office which is a short train ride away from Hangzhou (West Lake), Zhejiang Province, ChinaLongjing spring tea is the most heavenly elixir on the planet, you will never want other teas after it touches your lips?I get nervous when my stash runs low…[/QUOTE]

Hello

[B]Just a reminder here.[/B]

Don’t use 212 degree (boiling) water for [B]green[/B] tea because that can make bitter tea. Use 180 degree water (maybe as low as 140 degrees for some).
Oh,oh, and don’t steep it for longer than 4 minutes because that can make bitter tea.

If your green tea is different or if ya like it bitter, please feel free to print out my reply and stomp on it and tear it up and burn it or simply ignore it.
Happy sipping, Gil.

[QUOTE=gilyoga;60453][B]Just a reminder here.[/B]

Don’t use 212 degree (boiling) water for [B]green[/B] tea because that can make bitter tea. Use 180 degree water (maybe as low as 140 degrees for some).
Oh,oh, and don’t steep it for longer than 4 minutes because that can make bitter tea.

If your green tea is different or if ya like it bitter, please feel free to print out my reply and stomp on it and tear it up and burn it or simply ignore it.
Happy sipping, Gil.[/QUOTE]

Yes experiment 180 degrees down to ones liking