THE Best Yoga Mat required

Hi, I’m new here and thought I’d join up to expand my knowledge as I live on an island with no yoga teachers/classes near me - so need to pick brains…

I need THE best mat for wear. I have a couple of the compact foam types, come in pretty colors are inexpensive…

However I tear mine up with my toes! Rolling over from up dog/down dog etc.

So I leave a trail of yoga mat around the house and mine looks awful.

Are there mats on the market that don’t do this? Cos if so I need one (or two).

I am going to Costa Rica in May to start a TTC - so would love to get one before I start.

Many thanks - Namaste

Manduka’s Black Pro Mat is perhaps the most well known for durability. They literally give it a lifetime guarantee. I have had mine for 6 years now and it doesn’t show any wear. A little expensive, and also wider and longer than most mats, so it might be harder to travel with.

Mats are personal preference. For me I prefer a light colored mat that is not too heavy either in color or actual weight. For some, buying a Eco mat makes them feel good about their relationship with the environment - though it’s obviously not a bullet-proof position. Some mats have an odor and I cannot tolerate that especially for prone postures. Some mats are slippery and others are too sticky. But I personally don’t buy black anything, other than sesame seeds.

I use the PER yoga mat when I’m at home. At the studio we supply tapas ultras. The per mat, you will notice is only 68" long and I prefer a mat that is 72" but it’s been a good mat over time.

As for the refuse mats around the house, perhaps learning about the use of props in the practice of asana then cutting those mats into useful remnants would be helpful?

[QUOTE=BlueLotus;49278]Manduka’s Black Pro Mat is perhaps the most well known for durability. They literally give it a lifetime guarantee. I have had mine for 6 years now and it doesn’t show any wear. A little expensive, and also wider and longer than most mats, so it might be harder to travel with.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I checked this one out on Amazon, it looks good but people reported as being ‘stinky’!? How’s yours?

Shame it’s BLACK…but I guess won’t show up the dirt. I wonder if the travel mats my Manduka are as durable as they come in nicer colors and are lighter in weight I guess.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;49286]Mats are personal preference. For me I prefer a light colored mat that is not too heavy either in color or actual weight. For some, buying a Eco mat makes them feel good about their relationship with the environment - though it’s obviously not a bullet-proof position. Some mats have an odor and I cannot tolerate that especially for prone postures. Some mats are slippery and others are too sticky. But I personally don’t buy black anything, other than sesame seeds.

I use the PER yoga mat when I’m at home. At the studio we supply tapas ultras. The per mat, you will notice is only 68" long and I prefer a mat that is 72" but it’s been a good mat over time.

As for the refuse mats around the house, perhaps learning about the use of props in the practice of asana then cutting those mats into useful remnants would be helpful?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I’m looking for one I can’t claw with my toes. Which one would you recommend purely on durability of product in regard to tearing pieces out of it?

[QUOTE=emmamexico;49294]Thanks I checked this one out on Amazon, it looks good but people reported as being ‘stinky’!? How’s yours?

Shame it’s BLACK…but I guess won’t show up the dirt. I wonder if the travel mats my Manduka are as durable as they come in nicer colors and are lighter in weight I guess.[/QUOTE]

The mat is stinky when you first use it…I don’t remember how long it takes to wear off, but mine doesn’t smell anymore. Maybe a couple months? Wiping it with vinegar and laying it out in the sun helps.

Sometimes they make the black mat in limited edition colors. Right now they have a black cherry type color: http://www.manduka.com/us/catalog/categories/products/mats/manduka-pro-black-beauty/

I think the lite mats are probably okay. Maybe slightly less durable because they are thinner and lighter but still tons more durable than your standard yoga mat.

I’ve had a black mat for years and the only wear it shows is the label curling a tiny bit at the corner. The smell goes away, don’t recall how long it took but I don’t think it took months. I did give it an initial good washing down.

I would expect the lighter weight Manduka to be pretty durable, just less cushioning, it’s probably worth considering. If you have trouble tearing up mats I’d stay away from the Eko mats though, the surface doesn’t seem nearly as durable as the regular Mandukas.

[QUOTE=aystam;49304]I’ve had a black mat for years and the only wear it shows is the label curling a tiny bit at the corner. The smell goes away, don’t recall how long it took but I don’t think it took months. I did give it an initial good washing down.

I would expect the lighter weight Manduka to be pretty durable, just less cushioning, it’s probably worth considering. If you have trouble tearing up mats I’d stay away from the Eko mats though, the surface doesn’t seem nearly as durable as the regular Mandukas.[/QUOTE]

Great! This is just the info I need - looks like Manduka wins! I love this forum, I already have 20 other questions lined up, everyone will get fed up with hearing from me.

I recommend Khataland’s foldable yoga mats. They are real mats and are not the thin ones you describe. They fold into a book like size and are easy to carry. Look for the extra long and thick ones. They also fold well into a portable size. If you look for a better price, try the package deal where you can buy a few things together with lower cost. Here is the address : khataland.com

Good luck.

Manduka Pro now carries a blue/black saphire one on-line and if you have a lululemon on your town you might find a rare purple Manduka Pro made special for lululemon but it seems to be a store only thing so get them while you can because one thing lulu does not do is keep products long. More’s the pity