The book of Yoga

Hi

fairly new to yoga, in that off and on, over the years I have used this book to learn yoga. "The Book Of Yoga"
I am now wanting to commit myself to this wonderful study, and would like to use this book to learn as I cannot afford a teacher or classes.
Has anyone else used this book to learn yoga, without a teacher or even using DVD’s?
I know that the best way to learn is to go to a class, but this is impossible for me at present.

thanks

I’ve not used the book myself but if it works for you go for it. I think it’s better to practice yoga from a book rather than not practice at all. Just be careful with any aches or pain. If it hurts there is a reason behind that pain so stop and analyse it rather than continuing and maybe hurting yourself. When I first started yoga years and years ago I concentrated on lots of the simpler asanas which gave me a great foundation for moving on to more complex postures. Hope that helps!

I would also suggest “Light on Yoga”.

I would really advise against learning from a book. There are an abundance of yoga classes out there now that yoga has gone mainstream. leisure centres ,village halls ,community centres you name it ! there is a class out there for everybody. Books are ok in my opinion to inspire, and to further ones understanding ,but no substitute for a properly guided class. an once of real practice is worth a ton of theory .you will run the risk of getting into bad habits of worse maybr injuring yourself.
Namaste,
Murali.