The Five Tibetan rites question

Hello everybody!
I’ve been doing Five Tibetan rites for about 7-8 months, but after few months of practising I’ve started experience pain in my lower back, especialy after the rite number 3. Now, this pain is constant through the day. I’ve had flat feet since my childhood, and for a result of that, I had a mild skoliosis in my early teenage years, but now (I’m 21) skoliosis is almost dissapear. I think this pain I can feel is somehow connected with the Five Tibetans, but I really don’t want to stop practising, because I’ve experienced great benefits thanks to rites. It’s like this exercises bring the pain, and, at the same time, serve as some kind of pain relief for my spine. It’s hard to explain. So, I’m interested if someone had any similar simptoms, and got some idea for solving this problem…
P.S. If my English is bad, sorry, and thanks for the reps… :wink:

1 Like

what are the 5 tibetan rites? Sounds interesting. Sorry, can’t help say if I’ve had similar symptoms!Kat

if you are having pain you are doing the poses incorrectly. when I go to class I can feel pain and then my instructor comes up and lines me and it takes away tension, pain, and frees the breath. Try to find yourelf a good yoga teacher would be my suggestion

Hey, thanks for the reps… Tubeseeker thanks for advice, but in country where I live is so hard to find anyone who barely knows what Yoga is, and finding a good teacher is even harder, if not imposible… (fortunetly, there are forums like this one that makes a life easier ). But I think (and feel) that Ive solved the problem... Although there is a chance that some of my postures were incorrect (I did my best to do them right), the problem was in the way i performed them, actually in speed- I did them very, very slowly, and now I tried to do them three, or even four times faster (Ive seen some video), paying attention on the range of motion and breathing, so the problem has disappeared, and I can feel even more energy flowing through my body after 15 minutes of exercising (before, I needed about 40 minutes :)). I think Ive found rhythm that is adequate for me and my body... Again thanks for the rep and if you (or anyone else) have some experiences with 5 Tibetans, I would like to hear it and share it, cause there isnt much places on the net to discuss about it…

Kittikat, here are some links to find info about these rites:

http://www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm
http://www.10ac.com/five_tibetan_rites.htm

Enjoy!

P.s. Again, sorry about my English, I`m doing the best I can!

I am not worried too much about your english, I can read it :slight_smile:
i did the five rights first, it was my introduction to yoga, and it started me on my jouney. Now I do multiple asanas/poses, and have branched out my yoga.

if you are by chance looking for a good CD of yoga, you can try anasara yoga by john friend. he walks you though step by step on how to get correct alignment while in postures, but he uses more poses then the five rites… and since you dont watch it but rather listen to it, that makes it easier to focus on poses, for me anyways.
good luck in the journey
seeker

[QUOTE=ZENdra;4097]Hello everybody!
I’ve been doing Five Tibetan rites for about 7-8 months, but after few months of practising I’ve started experience pain in my lower back, especialy after the rite number 3. Now, this pain is constant through the day. I’ve had flat feet since my childhood, and for a result of that, I had a mild skoliosis in my early teenage years, but now (I’m 21) skoliosis is almost dissapear. I think this pain I can feel is somehow connected with the Five Tibetans, but I really don’t want to stop practising, because I’ve experienced great benefits thanks to rites. It’s like this exercises bring the pain, and, at the same time, serve as some kind of pain relief for my spine. It’s hard to explain. So, I’m interested if someone had any similar simptoms, and got some idea for solving this problem…
P.S. If my English is bad, sorry, and thanks for the reps… ;)[/QUOTE]

Hi Zendra, I’ve just joined Yoga Forums and read your message. The problem you mention above probably is caused by doing the same movement 21 times per day, as is the required daily practice of The Five Tibetans. The problem you mention is a known issue but it is avoidable by not collapsing the lower back and neck - and by incorporating core stability to protect your spine. With specific modifications you can continue to practice them and receive the great benefits. If you want to know more, send me a message. I’ve been teaching them for 9 years. All the best.

1 Like

ZENdra,The companion book to the original says faster is better-though alignment is always a priority. Namaste

Tashi Deleks, [I](auspicious best wishes in Tibetan)[/I]
I highly recommend you study the video
from the Five Tibetan Rites Series:

Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth
[I]with[/I]
Jille’ Gleason & Rory Reich
Harbor Press, Inc.

Please see a doctor and get some physical therapy…
and/or yoga therapy. Feel better soon…
:wink:

1 Like

This thread was created in 2007, and the original poster (OP) has not logged on since then. Of course you are welcome to add to open threads on the forum, it helps to complete topics and help those current members with the same questions, but look at the dates when offering new information directed to the OP. (FYI, You can see when a member last logged onto the forum through their profile.)

Cheers,
Nichole

Thank you!

A more original video with the Tibetan Rites:

http://www.experiencefestival.com/forum/Video-Viewing/4Mw3s5O2ikQ

By the way - if you want to develop core strength to protect your spine whilst doing The Five Tibetans (particularly with your back issue) - I would recommend my DVD.

For some people (not everyone) there are known issues with lower back or neck pain from doing the unmodified original movements, due to previous history of injury; sedentary lifestyle or simply normal degeneration of the vertebrae and discs. If you show the unmodified original exercises to physiotherapists, osteopaths or chiropractors - they would contra-indicate Rites #2, 3 and 5 as is - & would recommend modifications or adaptations.

Today we do not live a menial lifestyle like that of the monks who developed the Rites. They lived high in the mountains for a start, so everything they did was up or down a hill. They grew their own food and then carted it back to the monastery. I doubt they had comfy fluffy beds or many chairs to sit on either! The truth is we Westerners are much more sedentary - even if we exercise regularly.

I love the Rites & have no desire to modify them just for the sake of it. As a teacher I just wanted to make them more available to a greater number of people - so they could do them for life if they wished.

Therefore if you have twinges or are concerned about the repetitive actions and want to be sure your alignment and control is set up for the long term, I would recommend my DVD. If you want to develop core strength so you become strong from the inside out (instead of being like a soft-centered chocolate - hard on the outside, soft on the inside) then I would recommend my DVD.

The integrity of the original Rites remains, they look the same except we don’t compress the vertebrae and discs - and activate the core muscles to strengthen the muscles closest to the spine that wrap around and protect it like a natural weight belt. See T5T dot com if interested.

So if I understand you correctly you would recommend your DVD?

Yes I would recommend it for:

1. People new to yoga
  2. Those with a history of back or neck pain.
  3. Very unfit, weak or stiff
  4. Those who find it hard to sit or stand straight - who slouch and hunch.
  5. Those who want to develop core strength for other yoga practice or other exercise practices
  6. Those who intend to do the Rites for a very long time (or ever), who want to ensure correct alignment to avoid repetitive strain type injury
  7. People interested in improving their breathing

I’ve seen all the others and they are more ‘broad brush’ or “follow along with me while I do it” than very instructional. Some are practitioners who have made the DVD’s and are sharing what they have learned or have taught.

My DVD is a teacher’s guide to learning The Five Tibetans. We have taught quite a few thousand people this method, through workshops, books and the DVD!

However, as a yoga teacher, you could probably learn off a sheet of illustrations! If you intend to teach it, I would recommend the DVD because it will make things a whole lot easier for you and your students. It’s like trying to work out how to fix your car engine. Eventually through trial and error you could make it work - but if you had a teacher - you would save many hours and much angst!

All the best!

This is another site with Tibetan Rites:

http://www.tibetanyoga.com/

Thanks for sending that link! I had to chuckle (grimly as it took me so much effort to get it) - as he is using the quote I got for my book [I]“T5T: The Five Tibetan Rites”[/I]from John Gray (Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus). However he has changed the original to include his name (Tibetan Yoga)!!!

I tell you, the internet is amazing. If you get upset about these things, you’d best get off here!!

It took me a couple of years & hundreds of students,to create a workshop manual. Then it took 75 pages and 3 months to get a proposal together to find a literary agent. Then she insisted I approached every well-known person I knew (& those I didn’t) to get Testimonials for the book & T5T itself! John Gray was incredibly helpful when he received the book draft and gave me the quote this guy from India has now plagiarized & uses on his website! By the way, John told me that he too had modified the original Rites for the same reasons as me.

The amount of work it took to get this book published! If anyone reading ever thinks of writing one - it’s a major effort! When my agent finally accepted me (which was a bit of a nail-biting experience while I waited) she got me to modify the proposal & then finally she sent it out to 12 publishers and 3 were interested.

Then I had to re-write, edit 176 pages, & storyboard the 202 photos. Then I had to go through it all again to “Americanize” it when the book got re-published in the US by Random House - under a new name [I]“The 10-Minute Rejuvenation Plan”[/I].

The John Gray quote takes prominence in the book too! Here it is for the record.

[B][I]“T5T [/B] (He has changed to Tibetan Yoga) is an incredible and powerful program. It turns back the clock. It increases your energy, mental clarity and focus. It reduces stress, and improves strength and flexibility. It is capable of restoring your passion and zest for life if you let it. I highly recommend it for anyone willing to improve their life.”[/I][B]John Gray author of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus[/B][/B]

Hmmmm!

I wonder is there anyone who could please give me some advise.Having read Peter Kelders book I decided to try the 5 rites and am having trouble with the 5th one.The problem is when I put my weight on my right hand it really hurts.The part of the hand hurting is above the wrist below the thumb.The left hand is ok.Should I be putting my weight more on my feet however this is hard as I’m on my toes.It is really spoiling the exercises for me.I have done yoga on and off for years so I am quite supple and have no problem with doing the exercises except for my hand hurting.I also have a video and I think I am doing the rites correctly.Thankyou.

Wrist pain in downward/upward facing dog is a frequent theme on these forums. Please check out: http://www.yogaforums.com/forums/f18/yoga-poses-which-require-effort-on-the-wrists-please-help-4529.html? or use the search function on this forum to find more.

I’m not sure if you only have Peter Kelder’s book or if you have mine. I’ve just had a message from you on my webpage to which I have replied - but just in case, I’ll assume you have my book “The 10-Minute Rejuvenation Plan” or the other version called “T5T: The Five Tibetan Exercise Rites”.

If that is the case - have you tried the options listed in
the book for wrists under “Preparation” for Rite No 5?

Or the conditioning exercises for wrists which are listed after
Rite 4 in the section called “Further Tips”.

Let me know, so I know how to reply to your question.

All the best

hi Zendra,
first of all you are making yourself clearly understood hence your english cant be as bad :wink:
my name is niranjan and am based in Mumbai, India. I had a look at your locaton and was pleasantly surprised. I had no idea that yoga and similar forms were beign practised in Bosnia, which we in India generally feel is so far far away.
I have been practising the tibetan rites for quite some time and have derived immense benefits, although i must confess i have been irregula at times but if done daily for a month or so it makes me as energetic as I felt when i was in my teens. The key is “Daily practise” dont miss it even for a day and then see the magic it does to your body and mind.
I was wondering , have you heard of reiki. I was introduced to the tibetan rites as part of the Reiki workshop I attended. Although its doesnt necessarily come as a package.
you take care
lots of love
niranjan