The full picture of teacher training?

Hi,

1. I love yoga

2. I am enjoying reading the extensive resources about teacher training but am hoping for some specific answers.

3. Is certification needed?

I.e there are no yoga police but I could see some places insisting upon it to let you teach somewhere. Is that really the need?

a. Can it be custom/bespoke?

For instance, I do my own thing a lot of the time in the class to accomodate my needs. Along the line of the class structure, but there are simply things that I cannot do thus modify.

b. Any specific recommendations?

I have no desire to teach for money. I would like an intense private session almost to learn to teach/self-correct myself. People often see me practicing at the beach/outside and ask to join so it would be nice to help them take care of their bodies but not to be a yoga guru, just to practice safely and sustainably.

I live in Perth, WA.

What would be some top suggestions eg. month in India for around $5,000 all up style idea of everything. Locally, it is very confusing with lots of options.

I think it would be better to do a mega one off workshop for the certification but then keep practising/updating/checking in anyway.

Thank you

2 Likes

Hi @yogi28 welcome to YogaForums :sunflower:

Thanks for your great question, hopefully one of the more experienced yogis here will give you a nice response.

Have a great day in WA :sunny:

1 Like

thank you. Hopefully people chime in soon.

Thank you - perhaps you could elaborate.

Even if you only intend to deepen your practice, a teacher training would be worth it as long as you find the right one. There is only so much you can learn from books and videos, and having the access and insight of an experienced teacher is invaluable.

Every time that I have sought out extensive training, my personal practice has greatly expanded.

Three things to balance, in no particular order:

1. Cost - Find a training you can afford. Think of it as an investment in yourself, and not simply a luxury expense.
  2. Time - Find a training that fits in with your schedule. If you are in a position to take a month long intensive training, then that’s great, but there are also 200 hour programs that accommodate a regular work schedule too.
  3. Ratings - Read all the reviews for the school you want to train with on Facebook, Google, TripAdvisor, etc. If anything feels off, then trust your instinct. Don’t simply choose a training based on Cost and Time. If there are no ratings for a school, that could be a red flag as well.

For my own training I have taken a 200 Hour, 300 Hour, 3 Month Mentorship Intensive, and a 3 Week Pranayama Course, as well as many many weekend workshops. These have been the best and most worthwhile monies I have ever spent on myself.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you.

How often have you gone back to your teachers? I.e how important is local location so you can regularly refresh?

It’s convenient to live near your teacher training teachers, but not a necessity. My 300 hour teacher I connect with whenever possible, but right now we live on different sides of the planet, so it’s been a couple of years.

I’ve also discovered that you sometimes outgrow what a teacher can offer you. It’s OK to do this and to seek out different things from different teachers. Like all relationships, people come in and out of your life. There’s always something to learn, and as you move on to different teachers having things presented to you from different perspectives can be a blessing.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

I figured I could get remote teachers to communicate via video after training with them - if necessary.

There is currently no unified certification process for yoga teaching. There is also no licensure (in the U.S.). Some fitness facilities DO want to see your credentials and a “certification” (even though there’s no such things) is part of their employment requirement.

Many studios hire from within their own training groups. Some will audition outside teachers and of course there are studios that have no theme or thread at all and their faculty is a potpourri of various styles and philosophies.

With regard to “doing your own thing” this depends on what that encompasses and how it’s being wielded. Once a student is well trained there are plenty of times where self modification is appropriate. For a student to just do their own practice in a group class without consultation with the teacher, that can be disruptive to the class and border on disrespect for the teacher. Any good training and good teacher would be used to and expect to modify training for teacher-trainees. You’re paying a lot of money to be taught so … be taught.

For safety it is best to train in an alignment-based practice. Additionally, you’re going to get more out of this if you find a place you like to study AND train there. It is very challenging to just randomly pick a good place to train as a teacher having never been there for a single class, never be there for a single class after, and expect to be connected to the lineage in a profound way. Yoga is all about roots so find some. :slight_smile:

Namaste,

Gordon Kaplan
Founder, Team Yoga

2 Likes

thank you for sharing your opinion

Hi there, I think I can share my experience with you. I am currently in a 2-year teacher training here in the UK.

Finding the course: There’re tens or hundreds of TT courses out there from one month intensive up to a few years. Many studios run their own TTs. It might be best if you be able to speak to people who have been in a TT in your city and see what they think.

I picked the studio I normally go to, because I know the teachers, the TT faculty is good, the accreditations and locations.

The length of the course: Like I mentioned above, there’re many choices out there. At first, I thought 2 years are quite long. Since there are plenty different courses out there from a month to even a few years. Now, I finished my first year and I wonder (no offense) if anyone complete their TT in a month will actually be able to teach. After a year in training, we started to teach, community classes, colleagues, friends and family. Lot of us still not ready after a year.

Now the 2 year training seems to make sense, we are still quite overwhelmed by the knowledge and information. We always say, “The more we learn, the more we don’t know.” Sometimes we might have to let go what we thought we know and “relearn” certain things. We need time to absorb, think and grow.

I just want to say, put it in consideration. It’s tempting to apply a one month intensive TT. Because it’s quicker and cheaper (or maybe you can go to an exotic country for a month). But how one can digest everything in just a month. I’m not sure.

The TT teachers and what are they looking for: In our TT, we have asana teachers, anatomy and physiology teacher and philosophy teacher. I also suggest you to go to the teacher(s) who will be the TT teacher(s). Go check out their classes/workshops. See how you feel about them and maybe you can speak to them too.

When I had my interviewed. The TT teachers were quite clear on what kinds of students they’re looking for. And they don’t encourage people who think they want to be a teacher, because they love practicing yoga; Being a yoga teacher sounds cool; They love to go to work in sportswear; They can practicing yoga in different exotic places…etc. But then different TT teachers are different.

The syllabus: I can only say mine one is very comprehensive. We might not have training every single week. But the amount of homework keeps us really busy and keep learning in-between (Working full time plus the study can be challenging). We also have to cover hours of self practice, observing and assisting.

The cost: My TT is probably one of the most expensive in town. I do have concerns financially. We already have to buy many books (some are not on the reading list, but I think they will be helpful). They also recommend certain workshops, first aid training, other membership fees…etc. It can be frustrating at times. Be prepared.

The TT changes my perspective and I learn so much. Hope you will find your path.

1 Like

Thank you,

Appreciate the insight.

Some real numbers would be great. I wonder how many people make their yoga teacher training costs back and in how long?

I’m afraid I can’t answer how long one is going to earn their money back. In terms of the costs of the TT, you can find it out on any TT info page. Different TT charges differently.

Being a yoga teacher is hard work with long working hours. it’s not only the teaching a class or two per day, there’re a lot of preparation work, personal practice, further study.

Some said the real money comes from workshops, retreat and teacher training. By teaching classes might not be enough. I read in a blog, the yoga teacher said when they first started teaching full time. There were times they could barely pay the bills.

I gained so much from my TT, I don’t think I can measure it by how much I paid and how am I gonna earn it back. It doesn’t work like that (not for me). I don’t know what the future holds, but I’m glad of what I did.

Good luck.

Thank you.

n terms of the costs of the TT, you can find it out on any TT info page. Different TT charges differently.

After months, not one yoga school gives the full picture of the costs. Even you said you bought other books (which was very helpful.)

I get the investment in personal development.

Thank you for your input.

Namaste