The Greatest Healer is You

i started practice yoga because of my back pain few years ago.
yoga gave me amazing feeling of being the very part of nature. i quit using medications, eating meat, i walk a lot, etc:
i love organic teas (my favourites - choice or bigelow), twice a week - warm baths filled with sea salts, everyday vitamins (one-a-day for your age), morning contrast shower, herbal patches for local pain treatment, which i still sometimes have (snogg patch)…

my yoga class taught me a lot, but this was the toughest and most appreciated: the greatest healer is you - your body and mind, not your doctor…

thank you for suggesting other tips and ideas,
Gina

[QUOTE=kima;63499]i started practice yoga because of my back pain few years ago.
yoga gave me amazing feeling of being the very part of nature. i quit using medications, eating meat, i walk a lot, etc:
i love organic teas (my favourites - choice or bigelow), twice a week - warm baths filled with sea salts, everyday vitamins (one-a-day for your age), morning contrast shower, herbal patches for local pain treatment, which i still sometimes have (snogg patch)…

my yoga class taught me a lot, but this was the toughest and most appreciated: the greatest healer is you - your body and mind, not your doctor…

thank you for suggesting other tips and ideas,
Gina[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

The various [I]yog-asanas[/I] and[I] pranayamas[/I] which are part of yoga produce physical relief least because of the physicality of the practices, and most because these practices purify the astral body which is composed of the flow network of [I]prana~shakti[/I], the divine [B]living[/B] force.

Imperfections in the astral flow arise out of one’s karmic past, which in turn is composed of imperfect actions, which are, in short “against nature” and born of identifying the self with just the body, which is typical of animals.

We all have performed and accumulated the effects of such imperfect actions over numerous past births and now they may show up as ailments.

What you got from asana and pranayama should serve as an eye-opener leading to an inner assertion that [B]“It is [I]Prana~Shakti[/I] that healed me”.[/B]

Since [I]Prana~Shakti[/I] is the living divine force that drives the body and mind, why not attempt to leave the mind in the care of [I]Prana~Shakti[/I] for a few minutes daily.

[B]Mahayoga[/B] gives us a simple technique for attaining this. This technique is based on the fact that although many say that “everything is an devolute of[I] Prana[/I]”, its nature in is that of the movement of breath. So, handing over the mind to Prana would mean following the automatic movement of Prana i.e. following the air that enters and leaves the body on its own.

So do try these steps daily for 3 to 21 minutes. You will be surprised.

[ol]
[li]Sit in any position (preferably on a wool floor mat) and relax the body to the maximum.
[/li][li]Calmly close the eyes with inner readiness to let Divine [I]Prana~Shakti[/I] work on her own, through your body and mind. With such inner readiness, [I]Prana[/I] will rise up and up in the backbone.
[/li][li][B]Allow[/B] automatic breathing to take place. Simply follow the air entering and leaving the body. Do not impose any pattern. If some involuntary actions take place, allow them to take place. They are the actions of [I]Prana~Shakti[/I].
[/li][/ol]
This way, the mind is engaged only and only the divine[I] Prana~Shakti[/I], who, thus functions beyond ego and commences internal purification.

I am myself a mahayoga aspirant and can vouch for this technique prescribed by my Guru P.P. Narayan Dhekane Maharaj.

regards, anand

I agree, we are our best healer and guide

or may be it’s like this: a man explores the world, tries different stuff and chooses ways to go, and eventually, and fortunately, comes to oneself…

You’re welcome Gina.

gordon

[QUOTE=yoga_teacher_training;63503]I agree, we are our best healer and guide[/QUOTE]

no

The best (i.e easiest/fastest) healer would be (you wouldn’t believe me)

The best guide would be (not you).

thanks

[QUOTE=The Scales;63557]no

The best (i.e easiest/fastest) healer would be (you wouldn’t believe me)

The best guide would be (not you).[/QUOTE]

Dear friend:

Thanks for this post.

Yogis are always trying to attain this “not you”. But this trying also involves “you”. That’s why [I]mahayoga[/I] tells us a way to surrender this “you” to the “not you”.

This “not you” is in fact your [I]Prana[/I], the surrenderable version of which is the breath which takes place from birth till death.

All one has to do is Accept and surrender to Prana, daily for a few minutes and allow Prana, rather than that “you” to roam the inner universe.

regards, anand

@anand,

don’t we surrender to prana totally for at least 6 hours daily while we sleep.
wont it heal us then.

[QUOTE=prasad;63583]@anand,

don’t we surrender to prana totally for at least 6 hours daily while we sleep.
wont it heal us then.[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend:

Thanks for the good question. However, it is to be noted that sleep is nothing but ego (body and [B][I]vasana[/I]-mind[/B]) taking rest in [I]tama-guna[/I] (inertia).

While awake, by following and ultimately allowing Prana to fully take over such mind, this situation is averted and inner yoga begins. Prana then interacts with the karmic seeds to “produce” autonomous actions, depending upon the [I]samskaras[/I] i.e. the karmic conditioning. These actions, because they are free from the domain of ego free us from the concerned [I]samskara.[/I]

I pray to you to try out the introductory mahayoga practice for a few days and experience for yourself.

regards, anand

@anand,
Let me put forward my perspective, which may be wonky, never the less, here it goes…

Patanjali’s Raj Yog and Kapila’s Sankhya both do not lay much emphasis on Prana, especially Sankhya. Though, Raj Yog talks about pranayama, but it is dealt with a broad brush, unlike Hatha Yogies. Further, Sankhya does not use the term Chitta but only Manas, where as Patanjali uses both rather interchangeably.

Now as per Sankhya, on which the Raj Yog is said to base with few exceptions, says that except Purusha (self, jivatma), Pradhana (Prakriti) and all other tattawas, which are derivatives of Pradhana, are jada, including Mahat (buddhi), manas and ahemkara. The three gunas (Rajas, Sattawic and Tamasic) are the attributes of Pradhana and not Purusha.
The aim of a yogi is to train with specified techniques (Maha Yog, may be one of them) so that Pradhana with which Purusha identifies Itself, withdraws like a nartaki (dancer) who goes back stage after finishing her performance. Once Purusha identifies Itself to be separate from Pradhana and its Jada tattawas, one is free from the bondage.

I understand from your post that to be in tamsic guna is inappropriate. I may like to rely again on Sankhya, Tamasic is also restraining. These three gunas work tighter like wick, oil and fire, though having different attributes; they support each for the same goal. One is always in the state of a mix of all these gunas; one of these may be predominant, though. The idea of any yog is to go beyond these gunas.

During sleep, depending on the type of dream, you may be in a mix of different gunas and not always tamsic as you state. During dreamless, deep sleep, one is in turiya state which is beyond any guna.

Indriyas are always outgoing but perception is made only when manas connects with one or more of them (like being in a class room and still not being there). The manas also simultaneously connects with Chitta, which is the store house of all your experiences (including your previous births but is password protected, you come to know of it only when agaya chakra is properly simulated) and impressions (sanskaras) (Chitta, in idle state, like home page will go to that experience which is deep rooted like sex for a sex maniac),

It also connects with Buddhi and ahemkara at once ( Yudhistra in Maha Bharata when asked by yaksha as to what it which is fastest. He replied- ‘manas’. It is faster than speed of light or particle entanglement).

Buddhi determines as per your experiences (and wisdom and knowledge)

Ego aka ahankara is self assertion:- All that is considered(alochita) and reasoned(Mata) refers to me, in that I am competent, all these of senses are for my sake only, this does not concern anyone else, hence I am.

Now everything starts with manas, drop it and you become only drasta, a stage beyond any guna.

Hatha yogies realised the potential of prana, They wanted to enhance life span beyond 100 years so that in only one birth they realise their own self and be free from bondages. And hence the processes of asanas and prayanams were devised to control flow of prana to various body parts through nadies to nourish them.

I agree prana may be utilised gainfully for self healing and enhancing life span but it in no way can destroy the karmic seed as you say. Karmic burden has to be endured.

Sorry for a long banter

Dear friend:

If as you say:

Karmic burden has to be endured
then why take up any kind of yoga? All the talk of self realisation would come to naught.

I shall read your post later in more detail about the other points.
regards, anand

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;63609]

then why take up any kind of yoga?

[/QUOTE]

As your tag line goes… no yoga no peace.

Even lord Krishna had to die at the hands of a baheliya’s arrow… for his karma in human form.

[QUOTE=prasad;63610]As your tag line goes… no yoga no peace.

Even lord Krishna had to die at the hands of a baheliya’s arrow… for his karma in human form.[/QUOTE]

But Yudhishthir attained moksha! Think about it.

regards, anand

p.s. I shall re-visit your earlier post later.

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;63613]But Yudhishthir attained moksha! Think about it.

[/QUOTE]

Along with the dog of course. The dog did not fall even when other pandavas fell. think abt it.
regards.

[QUOTE=prasad;63614]Along with the dog of course. The dog did not fall even when other pandavas fell. think abt it.
regards.[/QUOTE]

dear friend:
So what is the yogic message in the above quote?

The dog represents faith (we do say “as faithful as a dog”) and Yudhishthir himself represents equipoise in one way and the akasha tattwa in another way.

So faith and equipoise is the key.

The question is faith (shraddha) in what? The highest aspect is Prana. So mahayoga says, calmly surrender to Prana.

Since mind is stubborn and does not surrender to anything easily (aka Duryodhana), mahayoga tells us a simple way so that it is led into Prana.

So from Peace to Liberation, Prana (Chaitanya) shall take you there via karmic self-purification
regards, anand

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;63615]dear friend:
So what is the yogic message in the above quote?

[/QUOTE]

The same as Yudhisitir attaining moksha.
As far as Maha yoga is concerned, I will rather go for branded product like iPhone than any equivalent Chinese product which may fail when I require it the most. My brand is Swami swetarama, tried and tested.

[QUOTE=prasad;63629]The same as Yudhisitir attaining moksha.
As far as Maha yoga is concerned, I will rather go for branded product like iPhone than any equivalent Chinese product which may fail when I require it the most. My brand is Swami swetarama, tried and tested.[/QUOTE]

Dear friend:

Guru is not a brand. Guru is shakti incarnate/ personified Thus, a true aspirant should refer to his/ her Guru with all humility, respect and complete surrender.

I am surprised at your use of words.

regards, anand

Did I say he is my guru by any chance.
I follow his advice like a doctor’s prescription.
My guru is my anteratama and no one else.
Didn’t Sarvamanglamangla give the link about famous gurus. here it is. http://www.strippingthegurus.com/stg...pters/rama.asp
read about all others and not just swami rama.
And as far as gurus are concerned, don’t we have a yoga studio after a few blocks, all of them posing as gurus to their new find disciples and teaching yoga as they perceive?

And by the way are we not deviating from the topic of the thread

[QUOTE=Anand Kulkarni;63632]Dear friend:

Guru is not a brand. Guru is shakti incarnate/ personified Thus, a true aspirant should refer to his/ her Guru with all humility, respect and complete surrender.[/QUOTE]

Anand Kulkarni, your posts throughout this Forum has inspired me to contemplate research and even experiment practices. You express knowledge in your words and undoubtedly you practice what you write, although I?m not certain when you speak of direct experience vs. borrowed knowledge, informative none the less. Certainly you have tremendous respect for Guru considering him a positive influence, and I?m trying to ask this in a non bias manner, but do you understand why one may be perplexed as to how much faith you place in Guru? Is there a worthy Guru who wants to be placed on a pedestal or expects their transfer of conceptual knowledge, experiences and indescribable concepts be accepted without question, perhaps it?s more of a religious ideology then a yogic Truth? Again I ask out of curiosity not out of malice.