Throat Infection

I am not sure if this is a question for the open therapeutic forum, but perhaps you can help in some way. I returned from India recently (mid April) and have not fully recovered from a throat infection. Am Pitta/Vata, my practice is therapeutically influenced by my Spondylolisthesis, age 58, quite flexible and strong. Am focusing on Sarvangasana and Halasana therapeutically in my practice. I sense my Ujjaye breathing is slowly recuperating its usual volume and length (always quite deep and long without any strain) although the latter part of inhale is stingy and stilted these days. It feels like an obstruction of some sort.

Am practicing Kapalabhati and Bhastrika now, but only recently could I recoup my full depth in the practice. Lots of throat clearing during the day. No cough as of now. I sense this is a constriction in Udana Vayu and would like your help with the application of these kriyas. I am not practicing Kumbhaka as I sense it builds up too much pressure in my throat.

Am working with my Ayurvedic physician who has put me on some herbals and watching my diet. I know Udana obstruction can originate in gastrointestinal track, right? Can you help with my practice? Feel free to edit this letter if you use it publicly for clarity. Thanks for any consideration. Shanti, J

Udana Prana is the force that removes obstructions from the chest and head region down to the diaphragm. Obstructions below the diaphragm are best expelled through the lower gastrointestinal tract. Udana is an upward and often outward force of the exhalation. When it moves obstructions outwards it is the propelling force of a Kriya. Kriyas are practices that purify the doshas and with delicate balancing they can purify the 5 pranas as well as their grosser biological manifestations as vata imbalances.

For recovery from infections the best focus is upon purification of Kapha.  Kapha is cleansed by the traditional yoga's shatkarmas especially Kapalabhati.  In this form it is technically not a pranayama, as they are used for balancing vata in their 5 subtler forms to direct the mind to meditate.  As a Kriya, Kapalabhati is done with forceful exhalations and an intention to cleanse the upper respiratory tract.  It is the intention that makes it most effective in this Kriya action.  Fasting and eliminative diet is recommended for freedom from the effects of infections.  

Asanas for this are inverted poses especially Halasana and variations that will help to open the upper back portions of the lungs.  This can also be done in gentle poses like cat, apanasana (energy freeing or knees to chest), or any time the spine is rounded forward.  By learning how to inhale into the rounded back ribs while tensing the Serratus anterior they can be made effective at cleansing Udana prana.  Strong exhalations should accompany these poses.