To wash or not to wash

Recently in a conversation with a friend I was informed that she got ringworm:eek: from the mexi blankets at a studio. Do you wash your blankets? If so how often, what type of cleaner and air dry or risk them shrinking in the dryer?

The props at the studio are cleaned regularly. I don’t know the schedule nor the products involved, though they are most likely not allergens or neurotoxins of any sort and likely perfume-free to boot.

I would be very curious how the origin of the ringworm was vetted by your friend. I would also be curious as to how many other students got ringworm at that studio for it would be very odd to have an infected blanket transmit to only one user.

Hello Gordon,
I only know of this one incident since it was a private conversation. I explained to my friend that she should make the owner aware of this infection.

Good for you to recommend that your friend tell the studio.

There are so many ways your friend could have picked up ringworm, a highly infectious fungal infection, who is to say who or where is patient or object zero?

But at least we know now that she is contagious, and the gym might be at risk.

In reality mexi blankets are aired out more than they are cleaned, but exposure to ultra-violet rays can kill mold spores so that helps.

You’d really have to boil the blankets between classes and that is not realistic or practical.

Washing in HOT water with Borox and 30 mins in the dryer can help?
Again though it is not all that practical as it would likely reduce the size of most mexi blankets right quick.

Another reason to stimulate the yoga economy and buy your own gear.